All parent member reviews for Happy Feet

Adult Written byjaclande April 9, 2008

I walked out on this movie!

This movie was so offensive to me that I walked out on the last 20 minutes of it. My husband and I took our 3 children and a cousin to see what we expected to be a cute, entertaining children's film. The whole point of creating this movie, in my opinion, was to convey a liberal political message, through our most vulnerable, impressionable audience--our children. Christians were attacked throughout this film, from protraying the penguin "elders" as condemning religious leaders who quoted bible verses and a "televangilist"-like leader who blasphemed Scripture, speaking of "Going forth and multiplying", then taking several female penguins out of sight to "have pleasure" on his couch, asking, "who will be first?". Mumble, the main character, decides to find out who the "aliens" are and ask them to stop taking the penguins' food supply, fish. The "aliens", who are clearly definied as human beings, are protrayed as evil, uncaring, scary, pollutive and destructive. As Mumble crests a hill looking for signs of "alien" life, the first structure that is shown is a church. Sexual innunendo is all over this movie, as male penquins frequently try to "get laid" and sing offensive secular songs that I don't let my children listen to, such as, Salt 'n Peppa's "Let's talk about sex baby" as well as Prince's "Kiss" and others. Mumble's parents are basically Marilyn Monroe and Elvis personified, and very "sexual" in their speaking and body movements. Mumble's penguin friends are very sexual when speaking about getting femle penguins, at times thrusting their pelvis' when speaking about how "hot" and desirable they are. There are two very scary and violent scenes, including one very graphic one where a very evil-looking leopard seal chases after and almost attacks Mumble and his friends, and another scene where they are chased by killer whales. My 5-year-old step-daughter covered her eyes in terror during both scenes. Zoos and animal aquariums, which are excellent family places for children to learn about animals, are shown as scary and prison-like, and are offensively compared to "Heaven" by Mumble. If all of these elements don't offend you, let me tell you that the movie as a whole was not very entertaining. I guess I'm spoiled by all the Disney/Pixar films, who write all their own music and lyrics. This film's producers could not even take the time to do that, intent as they were to convey their negative environmental message. This film is deceptively packaged in excellent special effects, cute penguin dancing and star character voices (Elijah Wood, Nicole Kidman, among others), but is inappropriate for all children, and adults really shouldn't waste their time on it either. Protect your children from it's negative, Anti-Christian messages by not taking them, not buying the DVD, and telling other parents about this film!
Adult Written bygrammykahuhu April 9, 2008

Only for children too young to understand the lyrics!

I watched this movie last night with 4 of my grandchildren ages 4,6,8,9. They had already seen it, I had not. I was appalled by the song lyrics as it began and if it had been my home, it would have been turned off then. I soon realized the children weren't hearing/understanding the words, they just enjoyed the music and animation, but with an adult's ability to understand the words... and it was NOT inuendo, it was blatant in many cases... I was glad my 14 yr old son was NOT with me. Religion was also subtlely trashed in the movie. "Noah" quoted partial scriptural references and in the course of the movie it was obvious that Mumble was correct, the aliens were taking the fish, while "Noah" insisted it was the penguin deity controlling the situation and took punitive steps against Mumble. Ultimately, Noah 'joined the crowd' in adopting attitudes and behaviors he had just denounced. He was portrayed as narrow minded, bigoted, out of touch, etc. and, in the end, without conviction. I had been warned about the environmental stuff, the UN taking action, as if!, so it was less obnoxious. In 30 years everyone saying I am over reacting will be living with the reality that I am not.
Adult Written bysuzduz April 9, 2008

We walked out

I took my 6 yr old son to see it. He was terrified of the scene where two crows are chasing the cute little penguin. The crows cornered him in the snow and was going to eat him. At that point we walked out. Wayyyy too scary for the 5 to 6 year olds.
Adult Written byimersway April 9, 2008

My kids just didn't get it but they liked it

I took my 4YO and 6YO to the movie. They didn't get the whole point of all that singing at the beginning so while I was put off by the suggestiveness of it all, my kids didn't much care. They didn't understand the biological drives to mate that were highlighted throughout the movie. They missed the suggestion that the dad was responsible for making Mumble abnormal b/c he dropped the egg. They didn't get the Mexican penguin mating drives. They didn't get why the Preacher type penguin was wearing a 6 pack ring. They didn't get that the aliens were actually the humans. What did they learn from it? That penguins live in a harsh environment, that things can be dangerous in the natural world. That human behaviors have an effect on the food chain (overfishing may have an effect on native animals ability to find food) They also noticed that it was a child who "saved" Mumble. My daughter (6YO) asked me if Leopard Seals only live in that area, so we went to the Oct issue of National Geographic Mag that has a great spread on LS's based on the recommendation of her uncle who works at the Denver Zoo with carnivores. Go check it out. They loved the music, they didn't get the religious references (and we go to church every Sunday). They thought Mumble was too cute, and didn't get that he was abnormal, just that he couldn't sing but that he was a good dancer. They liked the animation and didn't feel guilt at the suggestion that humans are wreckinig the plannet. They were glad the humans came at the end to see the penguins and at the inference that the humans were there to study, learn and help (an inference I had to explain to them, BTW). They just liked it. If you feel angry about being duped, you may be taking your movies to seriously. I teach juniors and seniors in a public HS and I asked them, and they loved it. I think this movie actually raises good food for thought for students who will be in charge of this place after we are all gone, for young people who are trying to figure out where they stand on issues such as environmental responsibility. Older kids may be more compelled to ask the harder questions,because they will notice the underlying implications, but even they are not too bothered by the idea of penguins seeking out mates, making eggs and turning those offspring out into a harsh world to survive and make more penguins, likely thanks to the Animal Planet Channel. (They were perhaps more offended by the Artist Formerly Known as Prince getting air time again! Really, some things are better left alone, don't you think??) Anyway, if you give your littler ones a heads up when the scary parts are coming, they can be OK with it, because all the other stuff that people are annoyed about are pretty much lost on the average 4-8 year old.
Parent Written byhebba17 November 5, 2013

full of stereotypes, bullying, sexual innuendo, and mortality.

for some reason, i thought this movie was going to be a sweet, simple story about a cute little dancing penguin. i was absolutely WRONG. the songs have sexual content, the stereotypes are glaring, and the language is awful. at one point, one of the penguins mentions another penguin "killing himself", and that's after several other references of death. humans are called "featherless and fat". bullying and taunting are presented lightly. everything about this movie was terrible. there is no reason to voluntarily expose your children to any of these things. completely, completely NOT RECOMMENDED.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byjim from maine October 29, 2011

Strange, boring movie

This movie is simply whacked. My wife and I thought it would be fine for our son, but it was just bizarre. And having a song with the line "I want to make love to you" renders it inappropriate for pre-adolescents. The songs (and there are many) are those which you would find on MTV or the like; no cute music here.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byLinearMom January 8, 2009

Boring for adults, message for kids iffy

This movie could have used some good editing. I was bored and found it predictable and not very interesting. Even the dance moves were repetitive. Our 4 year old was freaked out by the scary bits and bored in spots, and I'm not sure how much the 7 year old got of the message "to be yourself". I didn't care for the sexual innuendo, nor for the blatant stereotyping of Latinos. Lots of the references will go over kids' heads. It made fun of religion, which I didn't mind, but some will find offensive. The message about humans damaging the food chain seemed forced and tangential to the story. There are better movies out there.
Adult Written byfamilyof9 April 9, 2008

ATTN:DO NOT LET YOUNG KIDS SEE!!

I went with my daughter 14 year old to go see "Happy Feet", and we the movie theater compleatly shock at how bad it was! I could not believe how much sex related stuff is in it.We were sitting in the theater saying to ourselves "Don't say it, Don't say it!" Thankfully though, they did not put the word "sex" in it. I was very upset because it is a cute movie! I can't believe they actuall made this movie for children... If you are going to see it(moms/dads) be sure to see it first, then let your kid watch it....Very, Very upseting...
Adult Written byMommyTo3Spuds April 9, 2008

Not appropriate for young children!

Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written byHoosier_family_of_4 September 5, 2009

Good theme, some scary parts

The scene in which a seal attacks the penguin is VERY scary. It is a very mean looking seal with large teeth. The movie has a great message in that everybody has different talents and that you don't have to be just like everybody else.
Adult Written byjohnnydepp November 2, 2011

ELIJAH ROCK SHOUT SHOUT

I DIDNT KNOW ELIJAH WOOD WAS MUMBLE!!!!! HES REALLY HOT EVEN AS A PENGUIN!!!!! but the heart song is a little inappropro
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byjcasas April 2, 2011

Humans Get A Bad Rap In the Name of Environmentalism

Throughout the entire movie I had the distinct impression that I was being told humans - who are called "aliens" - are condemnable creatures. When the protagonist finally reaches a human village, to ask that they please stop destroying his world, the first image we're given is a dark and gloomy church steeple. What's the message there? At the end, the main penguin is put in a zoo where he begins to loose his mind as zoo visitors observe and laugh at him. Altogether, I found the environmental message took a bad approach.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byGavinsMom July 20, 2010

Disappointing

I am very sensitive to language in kids programming. "Stupid" and "butt" are just not acceptable. Neither is rude humor. I really think they could've made this movie a G. Disappointed they had to include the stuff to get it a PG.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byMom to Cal and Ell September 7, 2009

Too stereotypical and sexual for young kids

Somewhat offended by the stereotypical latino-type penguins and african-american-preacher-type penguin. Overly sexed penguins. Too scary and inappropriate for my 4-year-old son.
Adult Written byjudyjones2 April 9, 2008

Don't be fooled

This is definitely geared more for adults than for kids. Don't be fooled by all the cute trailers. Some cute moments, but overall this is not for the little ones. Glad I saw it without the kids first. We'll find something else to occupy the kids. This isn't for them. My 7 year old daughter would have completely fallen apart after watching the violent attack scenes. I wish movie makers would grow up and figure out that crude, rude humor isn't necessary!
Adult Written byinglesita April 9, 2008

Can't kids just be kids anymore?

Is it impossible for Hollywood to create a fun movie for children that does not hit them over the head with how evil humans are and how we ruin the environment? Enough already! This movie would have been precious if they had only focused on the lesson that it is OK to be different. Why do they have to drag in the trash, debris and rusted machinery. I also agree with other reviewers that the lyrics to the songs were far too sexually explicit for a young audience. I gave the movie away to my more liberal younger brother's family.
Adult Written byalbrightfamily April 9, 2008

Best movie for hippity hoppity 5 year olds and up ever!!!

Educator and Parent Written byhybs January 16, 2013

Strange and not in a good way

Ugh. I do not understand the love for this movie. Very strange. Very sexual. Rather dull for long stretches. Wants to convey important messages, but very heavy-handed. Has some fun musical moments. The tap dancing was great, but skip the rest of the movie.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 16, 2012

Cute.

Happy Feet isn't that scary,I mean,there were some scary moments but it was such a cute movie (coming from a male.)
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 25, 2012

happy feet

Families can talk about how to accept and embrace each person's unique qualities. What makes Mumble different from the other penguins? Do you think it's hard for him to pursue his dream even when the others think it's weird? Why do some people think that everyone should conform and "fit in"? Has there ever been a time when you didn't feel like you fit in? How did that make you feel? How can people's individual abilities benefit their community and the larger world?