All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Adult Written bydaniel.nicholas... July 15, 2009

Clearly Should Be Rated PG-13.

I do not know why the MPAA found it fit to rate this movie PG, when it is parallel to Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. Parents, do not be fooled, this movie is very deserving of a PG-13 rating, but somehow did not end up with it. The opening scene, along with the ending ones (where somebody is killed) maybe be too intense for kids -- specifically the opening one, which involves the collapse of a bridge. This movie also focuses on who is dating who and relationships, where the others don't touch on it so much. There is some kissing and a double line about "doing" something with someone in one scene. Characters are also drunk around teenagers and teens appear to be drinking (wine, but that is still not acceptable). This is a much better movie than the others, stayed more faithful to the book (except for one scene...) and was still a good watch. Just be careful with the rating.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byMiss Cybele July 23, 2009

PG-13 not PG

Not too sure about the amount of drinking going on. Whether the drinks were alcoholic or not, the word "beer" occurs and thats enought to get the message across. I get that teenagers are practicing at being more adult through kissing... then the rating should be PG-13, so my eight year old doesn't need to watch young people doing what adults do. I would think strongly about taking children under 12... their minds should be somewhere else.
Adult Written bya030976 July 18, 2009

Great movie for tweens and teens.

I saw this with my 10 year old (huge fan of the books and the movies) and we had a great time. The flirting was cute/funny and I thought it was great that Harry and Hermione were so supportive of each other in their love triangles. There were only a few scary parts, not nearly as many as there could have been, given the content of the book. I thought Spiderwick was a much scarier movie with all the monster attacking/chasing kid scenes. I also thought the movie illustrated how important it is to keep striving toward your goal.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 13 year old Written bybeckyhall July 17, 2009

Fantastic message, pretty good movie

I took all 3 of my kids to see this. We had listened to the book on CD, and my oldest has read it, so we knew what was coming. Having read the book, I was surprised at the PG rating. However, much of the violence in the book is left out of the film, so I can almost justify the PG. There are scary parts, though, and if you have sensitive kids, they will be afraid even if they know the plot. My 6 year old loved it, but she is fearless. My 10 year old is a sensitive guy, but he loves the series and really enjoyed the film. My 13 year old saw it twice in two days, and I am envious! We have talked a great deal about the good vs evil theme of the series. The final two films will be emotionally intense and somewhat violent. But isn't fighting evil intense and sometimes violent? The good guys are winning, but it isn't easy, and that's the lesson.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bycasandreas July 17, 2009

PG rating is spot on.

I am still digesting the movie after having seen it only hours ago, but I thinki the PG rating is spot on. I don't feel the "snogging" was anything to worry about as you the camera doesn't really stay on the scene long. The one close up kiss was short and sweet. As for the violence, most is suggestive and also brief or the camera cuts away quickly. I think though for content I would recommend reading the book which is the best possible way experience the magical world. There is just so much that can't be condensed into 2 1/2 hours.
Adult Written byaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... June 27, 2009

so bad
Parent of a 10 year old Written byBenT 1 February 14, 2015

Scared my son to death

He was so scared he cried for weeks
Adult Written byHarry Potter 1 June 8, 2013

Harry Potter grows up brillantly!

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is a fantastically well done and richly satisfying movie. Here,we see the darkest and most mature Harry Potter movie of the 1st 6 by far. The charm and innocence of Sorcerer's Stone that so defined Sorcerer's Stone is completely gone now. Harry is growing up and preparing himself to take on his greatest challenges yet. As those who have read the book know,Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince really has 2 important storylines to it. On one hand,Half Blood Prince is a backstory story where we learn more about Voldemort's past. At the same time,Half Blood Prince is also a setup story as the events that occur in Half Blood Prince in real time are setting up the events of Deathly Hallows. The film does a brilliant job of bringing those things to life. I was especially happy with the depiction of the day Dumbledore first met the young Tom riddle. That was a scene the filmmakers nailed. I was also very pleased with the way the circumstances of the Half Blood Prince's book were handled,both in terms of that 1st Potions lessons and in the scene where Harry is forced to get rid of it.Then the acting was superb. Daniel,Rupert,Emma,and Alan have mastered their characters by this movie. And Michael Gambon gives his best performance as Dumbledore in this movie,particularly in the many scenes in which he and Harry are alone together, Finally,I was immensely satisfied with the climax. Apart from the presentation of the events themselves,the emotional aspects of the climax hit the heart for me. Even after many viewings,I get teary eyed when Dumbledore dies and when the students are all raising their wands in tribute to him. This is a very poignant time for Hogwarts. In this movie,Dumbledore is preparing Harry for what lies ahead as events culminate in the climax that sets up the major war in Deathly Hallows. My only criticisms are that they should have included the memory where that witch shows Voldemort the Cup and Locket so they,as Horcruxes that become important in Deathly Hallows, would be properly introduced in this movie. That memory should have been in the movie instead of the Ron-Lavender and Dean-Ginny stuff,which should have been cut from the movie (and the book) because it added NOTHING to the plot. A few cases mild language,but nothing to worry about. While Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is a GREAT movie,it is for high schoolers and older only. This movie includes a scene of chaos as a bridge collapses,drinking scenes,including 1 in which Hagrid and Slughorn get pretty drunk,,a girl touching a cursed necklace,scenes of the burrow burning,a boy being poisoned,Hagrid's hut burning,and an EXTREMELY sad and emotional death. This movie is for high schoolers and older only. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is a deeply rewarding movie that MUST get 5 stars.
Educator and Parent of a 6, 7, 10, and 10 year old Written byPatzeheheh May 11, 2013

Boring, repetitive, but stunning picture.

Overall, this movie wasn't that bad, nor was it the best movie ever made, I actually thought the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ones were fine, until I noticed that they got darkier and more intense. This movie is actually very long, my daughter slept and we had to skip some parts because we didn't want to watch all of it. There is lots of "snogging" and kissing. Use of some alcohol in some places that look like bars. There is a lot of violence and gory characters, One example is Harry fights with very skinny and bony zombies and there is loud explosions. The master does die and a kid throws up in the train because he's drunk. Lots of drunk people, the red head also says "bloody hell" This deserves to be a PG-13. The good side is that they are still positive role models and they didn't replace most actors, there is good screening and it's very well animated. The magic seems so realistic and the emotions are very believable, their accents as well. It's a high-budget, but Harry Potter fans would love it better than I do.
Parent Written byShugocharafan88 January 7, 2013

I heard this from a friend but he said that Hurricane Irene is coming tommorrow... is it true???? SOMEBODY TELL ME I DON'T WANNA DIE

They are the funniest cooking gurus ever! they are from Japan and they teach you how to cook lots of different things. Here's one on how to make bentos (Japanese boxed lunch) Here's one on how to make dangos (sweet dumplings) and here's one on how to make a super yummy looking cake. Hope you like!
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 21, 2012

Awesome HP movie!

This movie is a must see for all Harry Potter fans! Its funny and action packed!
Parent Written byhannab January 2, 2012

best one yet

absolutley amazing film. emotional, gripping, thrilling and occasionally quite funny. kids under 9 will be rather shockked at the death and there are a lot of jump scenes.
Adult Written byjohnnydepp November 3, 2011

TOO MUCH LAVLAV AND WONWON

THERE WAS ENOUGH ADOLESCENT SNOGGING BETWEEN LAVLAV AND WONWON TO LAST ME AND MY 40 YEAR OLD UNMARRIED CHILD WHO LIVES IN MY BASEMENT A LIFETIME. BE AFRAID BECAUSE THERE IS ALSO TONS OF ADOLESCENT DATING AND HEAVY FLIRTING.......OMG
Adult Written bybdh July 21, 2011

great appeal to older audiences

this movie may not be to intrest to younger fans
Adult Written bysatan March 15, 2011

pretty bad movie so boring
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymcgee27 January 29, 2011

Perfect for tweens

Towards the end after the death of a major character all the students and professors raise their wands and disperse the darkness. For those who found 4 and 5 scary this one is not.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bySteven Matthews December 19, 2010

Adult Written byNima Khalili November 14, 2010

Parent of a 9 year old Written bycarter0617 November 4, 2010

what i say

i think this is a good movie with lots of volience and some scary images
Parent of a 6 year old Written by11d September 5, 2010

9+ Perfect age

Its a very good movie but, it isn't really appropriate for the ages of 6-8 but, 9+ is good.