Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Haunter

Creepy ghost story avoids gore but still scares.

Adult Written bywonder dove October 23, 2013

OK for 13+

The movie was not bad, but not really my taste which should not stop you from watching it - you may enjoy it! Haunter involves a teenager, Lisa (Abigale Breslin) who realizes that each day is always the same. Same conversations, same clothes, same chores, same dinner, same TV show episode, everything! Lisa gets to a point where it's just too much and that something is definitely wrong. When she begins to hear voices and see figures of other girls including a young teenage girl named Olivia, she quickly learns that she and her family are dead and a new family is living there instead. Her only contact is through Olivia. She must keep contact with the other side to save the family from meeting the same fate as hers, but can she succeed while dark forces are preventing it? It's confusing, but it steers clear of any blood and gore like most. It lacks scares and was definitely NOT scary so if you're looking for that, pass on this. It would be perfect for 13 and up who may not be into the hardcore blood & guts horror films but be aware that it does drag on. A few other movies I'd recommend along this theme yet much much much better and scarier (but not over the top) are The Sixth Sense, The Others, A Haunting in Connecticut, Devil ('10). The language is infrequent and includes [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], hell, [email protected], b*tch, oh-my-God. Violence has angry shouting and throwing objects, ghostly figures, references to murder, a caged ghost-girl is seen and then she catches fire and burns, a girls family turns to skeletons when they're found dead at a dinner table and you see them start to decay, a father gets possessed, a girl strangles a man. No sexual content or drugs to worry about. Some smoking. I give it 2 stars for the idea and Abigale Breslin's performance. 13 years and up is fair.

Adult Written bybmalik6 October 20, 2014

Haunter

This movie is personally one of my favorites, its not too scary, but it keeps you in. At some scenes you might get a bit jumpy, but other than that you're good. The movie doesn't show any disturbing images. Its a great movie for preteens & teens that like horror movies.
Adult Written byShikibara April 18, 2015

Wonderful introduction to the scary movie genre!

A well written movie that reminds me of the old Goosebumps books in a way, especially in how it's Definitely Teen friendly, and if you're alright with the 2-3 times both B words are dropped, a kid friendly as well. Perfect introduction to the scary movie genre for the younger crowds, as it's not an outright freakout-fest. Story: It has an extremely interesting plot, which is unfortunately spoiled in the description of the movie. I only came across a couple parts that seemed to not make complete sense, and was left wishing for a little more development of other characters, but other than that, it was a well written story. 9/10 Cast/Characters: The actors were well cast, in my honest opinion, and should not have been done any other way. And I was pleasantly surprised to see Rodney McKay from Stargate Atlantis (I know he has a real name, but that's how I always identify him) in this movie, and wished he had far more screen time. 10/10 Visuals: There was one point in the climax area that they placed an after effect that looks like it was taken from the stock effects in whatever software they used to render the final cut, it was a little headache inducing to me, as it was a very static effect and not dynamic, making it stick out like a sore thumb. I get what they we're trying to do, and I feel they probably ran out of money and had to cut back on it. But that has to be my only visual gripe. 8/10 Sound: The audio was clear as crystal after the first several minutes, it might have just been me, but for those first minutes, I was desperately needing the subtitles (which are poorly implemented on Netflix) as everything seemed to just be in a kind of jumble. Luckily this clears up quick enough, or I at least grew accustom to it so I didn't notice it anymore. The soundtrack blended in well with the movie, so that the immersion was seamless to the point where it gave into the immersion, but wasn't over the top and distracting. 8/10 Overall: It is a good movie, definitely popcorn movie night and sleepover material that parents will be ok with giving their younger teens on up. Nightmares might spawn in the minds of the younger children though. For those parents who want movies with some morals in it, good basic morals and examples are shown by the main character, showing her strong ties to family and doing the good and right thing for those whom she may feel responsible for. I give this movie an overall score of 9/10 or 4/5 stars, and a 13+ age suggestion due to mild language consisting mainly of 2-3 B words dropped.