Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for He Named Me Malala

Inspiring, deeply affecting docu explores teen icon's life.

Adult Written bymom2810 October 17, 2015

Older teens and adults

Not enough positive messaging to overcome the level of violence and adult content. Very disappointed, after reading reviews for the film felt this would be okay for girls that are familiar with her story and enjoyed her book. I like her story and the film could have been inspirational but would not recommend this film for anyone. I do not agree with the age 12 at all for this film. We had the addition of R rated previews with particularly inappropriate material at our theater even though the film is rated PG-13.
Adult Written bykissymarks November 1, 2015

A GAME-CHANGER; SO, SO INSPIRING

My 10-year-old daughter had read the junior version of Malala's book, and so I have no qualms about taking her to see this film... but after having seen it myself, and being completely BLOWN AWAY by the positive and inspirational messages in this film, I think I am going to take my 8-year-old daughter, too (knowing that there are certain scenes where I'll have her look away-- namely where they show the blood on the bus seat). This film is profound and powerful and provides a brilliant and fearless role model for our children.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byM Go Blue January 19, 2016

Over hyped

It felt more like a public relations promo piece for Malala than anything else. Her life seemed very controlled by handlers and this was more a piece to promote her as a commodity.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byrsanyal1 January 7, 2019

So inspiring.

I was so touched at the footage of this movie. Girls can stand up for their education,. Such a great movie.