All parent member reviews for Hearts in Atlantis

Adult Written byjmo97 May 25, 2016

Well acted, but has some rough material.

While I don't think this movie is extraordinary, I do think it has some good acting, and a somewhat interesting story. This shouldn't be recommended to kids or younger teens, however. There is some mild language, and some violent thematic elements that keeps this film only for mature teens and up. Some of those elements include a non-graphic rape, two brief beatings (one onscreen, the other implied and off), a man who is accused of being a child molester, and a teen/older kid who acts out of his fear of his cross-dressing habit. Overall, I found this movie to be just alright. 6.5/10
Adult Written bybri j December 12, 2012

A good piece of work if not just for one thing that did NOT have to be in there

I'll just cut to the chase, I don't think this movie portrays homosexuality well at all for upcoming youth, if they would ever even come across this movie to begin with. Being that the antagonist in this movie was a boy who Anthony Hopkins character basically blackmails because of how he "dressed in his mothers clothes" and later in the film they show this much older boy beat the hell out of some little girl with a baseball bat. For young children who take things literally, especially like the age I was when I first saw this…this can be easily taken out of context. Why did this cowardly bully have to be gay? I've noticed homophobic traces of this type of stuff a lot in movies based off Stephen King novels. I'm not sure what that means. I just think its just really sad that homophobia is still being incorporated into films made in recent years, and are still being overlooked.