Kid reviews for Heathers

After Columbine, this dark comedy isn't as funny.

Kid, 12 years old March 2, 2014

It depends.

Being twelve, on the verge of being a teen, high school movies appeal to me. After watching 'The Breakfast Club' and 'Sixteen Candles' I watched 'The Heathers'. But I was wrong. This is a very dark comedy, not horror but disturbing. Along with murder and the harsh world of high school, this is the only high school movie that made me glad to be in middle school. Overall I would advise for the older teen group to be the target demographic.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBobollyBee August 9, 2015

Amazing film.... depends on the maturity of the child

In my opinion, this film is very good if the child who is watching it is mature enough to deal with the dark humour of 80s American teenage angst. It does have quite a bit of kissing, swearing (but it's all within reason), hints at alcohol, murder and suicide, but I wouldn't say its too much. However, if you want a more subtle version of the film, I'd recommend having a look at the stage musical of the same name. The musical was how I was first introduced to the film and it is pretty much the same, just a lot more subtle.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycola January 4, 2016
I watched this movie when I was 13 and I felt bad because my mom never said I could.I liked it though alot. My Mom will tell me I m almost old enough to watch it but I feel bad because I have watchd it. I think you should show it to your teen though. Its really good. Its very dark though. I think it shows how certain cliques basically rule the school and are just allowed to be mean to people and everyone wants to be in their group. But when veronica gets in their group she doesnt like them after awhile and she becomes friends with a loner type of guy. You should watch the movie though because that is all I can say without spoiling the whole plot but I will say that there is sex,murders disguised as suicides,violence etc. Its a very good movie though
Teen, 16 years old Written byBLONDIE-CEPTION April 2, 2016
Please IGNORE the adults and teens and kids saying that this movie is okay for children. It is not. There is a sex scene, showing them, (if you know what I'm saying) there's a great deal of the f-bomb, tons and tons of violence, and a girl pretends to hang herself. Very dark but funny comedy. Also there is a brief bit of animal cruelty in which two boys are tipping cows. So if you're sensitive about that, skip the part while they're out near the farm. There's also a scene in which a girl tricks boys to stand out in the woods in their underwear ("two at a time") and then shoots them. It's like a less dramatic Carrie. This movie does have a good message- "Don't judge a book by it's cover." Let me rephrase that- "Don't judge a boy by his actions toward you."

Teen, 13 years old Written bySabineDM January 3, 2016

Classic Dark Comedy

Although it does include some violence, language, and sexual references, it is well done and not at all excessive. Although I wouldn't recommend watching this as a young or sensitive child, it really is worth a watch. I'd recommend, if you're unsure of if you'll enjoy it, just to try it until you get uncomfortable with the content. You may even try skipping around the movie to skip some inappropriate bits. But ultimately, I think it's best to watch Heathers as a whole, so whichever age you choose, try to make sure you won't regret watching it. It really is a great movie if you find the right age for you.
Teen, 13 years old Written byaronkle June 22, 2017

this is okay for mature kids to watch

This movie has lots of controversial subjects in it but it is not too much for teens. teens these days are extremely used to this language and theses topics.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Heathers

A dark highschool satire that makes Mean Girls look like Sesame Street in comparison, Heathers certainly won't appeal to all tastes, but I really enjoyed it. It's probably one of the blackest comedies out there...maybe even a bit too dark, but for the most part, it's a very clever and funny film. Certainly recommended to dark comedy fans.
Kid, 12 years old January 25, 2017

Not for too young of kids

This movie is very timely, and probably one of the best movies that I've ever seen. That being said, it is not for the young or faint of heart. There is murder set up to look like suicide, sex, smoking, drinking, and the harshness of highschool. I watched it abd I'm twelve because my parents recommended it because they know that I can handle that kind of stuff, but many kids my age couldn't. The last scene is very violent and bloody and intense, so young kids would probably be a bit frighened by that. JD forcefully tries to kiss Veronica when she obviously doesn't want it, so if youre watching it with a youngin, make sure that they know that what he's doing is not okay. Anyone over 11 or 12 would probably be okay to watch this, and it's probably the best movie I've ever seen and you'll need to make sure that they eventually watch it.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAlli200 October 1, 2016

Not For everyone

i personally love this movie(and the musical that was based off of it if you haven't seen that). I feel that is a very iconic film that teens should be allowed to watch if they choose. I went into it thinking it was gonna be super inappropriate, cause thats what i had heard, but i feel like it was not even close to what i was expecting. Although I'm not the best to judge off of since I'm not really phased by profanity as some other teen are. Over all its a great cult classic that i would recommend.

Teen, 17 years old Written bytonyrockyhorror August 4, 2014

In My Biased Opinion

Heathers is one of my favorite movies. I watched it first at the age of 14, and it's been in my top ten ever since. The dialogue is sharp, the set and costume are Kubrickian(?), and the satire is biting in a way that is not often seen. That said, no-one would make this movie today. The violence against fellow students, and the attempted school bombing just wouldn't fly in a comedy. There are things like We Need To Talk About Kevin that address school violence, but I don't really think that the themes are terribly comparable. There is a significant amount of swearing and some drinking. The violence is comical and played for laughs to a certain extent. Overall, I don't think that most teens will be particularly disturbed by the content, though some may not get the joke.

Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats February 18, 2014

Best Friends, Social Trends and Occasional Murder

"Heathers" is one of my favorite films ever. Its social commentary on teen suicide is still relevant and its dark humor is biting. It's also a ton of fun. It's kind of a "Mean Girls" meets "Badlands"-type film. I loved it. There are a few scenes of implied sex but nothing is really shown, although teens talk about it afterwards. There is probably around twenty uses of the f-word and some teens are shown smoking. Also, a big part of the plot is murder and suicide and although there isn't any gruesome stabbing, there are a few guns used.

Teen, 13 years old Written byemily_hayes13 October 28, 2016

Teenage suicide (don't do it)

this movie is definitely not for the faint of heart, and not for the little ones. although there is mentions of sex, there's nothing that wouldn't go over a kid's head. the problem with this, are themes of murder, rebellion and suicide. it may not have the best role models or messages, but other than that its a really great movie and definitely one you should see before you kick the bucket.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLily Eleanor May 27, 2014

80's teen films, what more is there to say...

I loved this film! I watched it when I was about 12 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am quite mature for my age which is maybe why I was allowed to see it however young teens should be sensible enough to look past the sexuality and violence and handle the dark themes to see what a classic teen film this is. Should not be missed...
Teen, 14 years old Written byjpick91 February 24, 2017

Extremely Dissapointing

i read about this movie, and it got very good ratings. i thought i was going to like it, but it turned out horrible. it was just a confusing, boring, random mess. yes, some parts were very funny, but that got lost in the sheer stupidity of the movie.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAndrew0207 January 3, 2017

Fantastic film with great comedy and suspense

As a fifteen-year old, I think this film would be fine for a mature thirteen-year old to watch. The film has lots of profanity and sexual references in it, but for a teen, it wouldn't really affect them at all to hear the references since they most likely hear a lot of profanity and sexual speech at school. The film can also be very violent at times, but it's nothing to major.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysizzlepop February 27, 2017

This Movie is Funny but Violent

Heathers is very entertaining, but a bit sexual and kind of violent. Also some crude and homophobic language.

Teen, 14 years old Written byperson1111 March 22, 2017

Not that funny

This movie is not funny. There is a theme involving suiside and it is treated like joke. Both characters are psychopaths and kill people for fun. Not funny or good. Also some swearing

Teen, 14 years old Written byKandy_Tooth March 18, 2017

This movie is so very!

This movie is so fun and hillarious. However, it's not a movie for the faint of heart. The movie is a dark comedy so the subject matter might trigger some people. There is not only a curse word in practically every sentence (heck the very first line in the movie is d*mn) but it also has lots of murder and a faked suicide (and a real one too). The main character is a wonderful role model. Sure it might not seem like it, but i learned a suprising lesson from this movie that ill talk about later. The other main character is a total dreamboat and will most likely be your teens first crush... however he slips into insanity and tries to kill the main character. You find out that his mom commited suiced in a building his father was blowing up. This is the same kid who not only shoots blanks at bullies, but later kills 3 other people. The movie features a bunch of drugs, smoking, and drinking. The 2 main characters have sex but its not shown on the screen. It just cuts from him coming thru the window to him and her naked under a blanket in a field. They are of age however. The movie goes out with a bang...literally. Id reccomend watching it without your kids first if you are sensittive aboutt those things. My friend and i watched it at her house and her mom loves it so it depends on you. But if i had to say my personal opinion, this movie is for 14 or older, or if your comfortable 13.

Teen, 14 years old Written bysasharosenbaum13 July 21, 2016

My Favorite Movie!

I think Heathers is an amazing movie, but it definitely has mature topics. There is a lot of swearing, and some suggestive topics, but it's really nothing a young teen can't handle. It is definitely a must see!

Teen, 15 years old Written byheather.duke April 29, 2017

Amazing Movie!!

Besides the violence, it's a great movie! Love it