Parent reviews for Hellboy (2004)

Entertaining but scary superhero tale is violent.

Adult Written byWellWatchedMovi... July 21, 2021

Great Movie For Teenagers

I was skeptical when I first learned about Hellboy, because I didn't really know what it was about and I'd never read the comics before. However, one day while I was home alone, I decided to watch it.

I must say - it was amazing!! It had plot, action, a team of paranormal investigators (of sorts), romance, and a very unique hero.

I was thirteen when I watched Hellboy, and fourteen (I think) when I watched it again, this time with my parents and brothers (ages 9 and 7). Watching it with them was fun!!

Please note that the Hellboy my family and I saw was also the Director's cut, so it probably included stuff that wasn't in the original (since I've only seen the director's cut, I can't say what was different).

Also, it doesn't say this in the initial review, but I thought John Myers was a pretty good role model. He was diligent, he was kind, and he was loyal. In my opinion he was an excellent example of a good friend.

Adult Written byfahimforid December 19, 2020

Adult Written byTAPQ October 10, 2020

Most Mediocre Movie I've Ever Seen

From what i've watched of this movie, the biggest thing that came to mind was "boring!". There's nothing horrible about it but there's nothing about which is in the least bit good. There's nothing inappropriate about it or anything, it's just bland. I get how one would enjoy watching it but honestly it really depends on the kind of things you like. All in all i'd give it a 7/10
Adult Written byBoiled_Broc March 22, 2019

My kids favorite Movie.

Adult Written byAllibee October 25, 2018

Suitable for brave 7yos and up

My son has loved Ghostbusters and Star Wars since he was 4, never found Jaws particularity scary and was a little bit creeped out by certain characters and scenes in this film but the overall goodness of the Title character and his good intentions he loved. He appreciated the fact that he's not perfect and the baddies were just bad enough to be scary. If they're brave, I'd say that this is fine for 7+.
Adult Written byitsmebjt September 7, 2018

A fun family film

Let me start by saying, I have a 9yo daughter and two boys, age 6 and age 4. All of my kids---from a young age---have been able to discern things they see in movies from things they see in real life, and don't scare as easily as most. My biggest concerns are profanity, sex, and gratuitous violence or gore. This film has plenty of comic book violence to rival today's Marvel and DC films but that's about it, and for kids who know that monsters aren't real and that nobody is actually getting hurt or dying, the violence is fairly innocuous. Noting excessive or gratuitous. No profanity, no sex, and other than Hellboy's cigars (again, my kids know the difference between cigars and cigarettes because I smoke them on occasion) there isn't anything concerning that would prompt a too difficult to answer line of questioning. If your kids love great special effects, fascinating comic book characters, and lots of action, this is a great one to fire up some popcorn for and get everyone on the couch for movie night.
Parent Written byAlexandre M. October 28, 2017
Are you freaking kidding me 14 + This movie has no blood and it is not inappropriate.And you guys think that if they say the word hell or somebody has stitches on them it is for 14+.
Parent Written byKatherine T. March 30, 2017

Iffy for 10+

Good movie
Adult Written bydarthsitkur August 1, 2012

better than spawn

both this one and the second one really kick the crap out of spawn
Adult Written bythetruth10 February 17, 2012

okay

if your kids really want to see it let them

Parent of a 4, 6, 8, 11, and 13-year-old Written bycrsunlimited October 20, 2010

Perfect for children who enjoy dressing up scary on Halloween.

When my daughter was 7 she always wanted to watch scary movies. After seeing this one I decided to let her watch it, and she loved it. It was her favorite movie until she was 9.

Hellboy does smoke cigars, but it's not overly done to the point where your thinking it's an ad for kids to smoke. His main swear word is crap which isn't that high on my list of things not to say.

Overall this movie is great for kids. There is some action in it, but absolutely no nudity, and the violence is at a mild comic book level.

I think Hellboy makes a positive mole model as his story tells how he was made to do evil, yet chooses to be on the side of good. It's all about his choices and choosing the right ones. He also shows great friendship and love by willing to sacrifice himself to keep those he loves alive.

I also like the positive message that even though Hellboy looks like a demon he doesn't let what others think about how he looks degrade his self esteem.

Parent of a 8 and 10-year-old Written byAAnt August 15, 2010

Definitely a NO for under 10!

There is a very scary character, that when he takes off his mask looks awful. He's the character that is all stitched up, with gaping eyes and lips. I know my 8 year old would be afraid and my 10 year old wouldn't like it either. Just too much death and darkness in this one.

Parent Written byPlague February 26, 2010

Hellboy

Not a big fan of this movie, but it was entertaining in most parts.
Adult Written bychainsawman2005 April 9, 2008

Very cool action horror flick for 13+

I didn't see anything wrong, besides the fact that alot of demon resurrection and satan stuff (not like you've seen in the end of days or exorcist, but it is pretty scary). Good moral stuff besides hellboy smoking a cigar all the time which is not a good lesson for kids. Besides that, great movie!
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008