Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Hellboy

Extreme gore, language in comic book movie reboot.

Adult Written by8firefae April 11, 2019

Don't Listen to people comparing it to del Toro's Hellboy

This movie was awesome. I wasn't sure about seeing it because most of the reviews were bad. Then I read those reviews and realized that they were mostly comparing the film to del Toro and Pearlman's Hellboy, which, if you are a fan or even a casual reader of the comics, is a bit watered down, but still pretty good. This film was very much a METAL movie. Like hard metal. There is a lot of violence and a bit of gore, but I'm usually gore squeamish (won't watch any SAW movies, but I do enjoy horror) and it didn't bother me any because it doesn't linger on it. This movie is also very much a movie for fans of Hellboy from the comics. The film mostly suffers from some pacing issues. Things happen a bit quickly, not leaving much time for development and felt a bit like they had enough content they could do a mini series if they wanted. (Which I would love.) However, the sped up pacing did not detract from the film. Most people are going to complain because there is a LOT of violence and gore in the film and it certainly isn't a movie for kids. It is very much a movie for adults, those who like metal, and those who are fans of Hellboy.
Adult Written byCpkjdwr April 19, 2019

Worst version of Hellboy ever made

Terrible movie. They should of made it as the original Hellboy's son. It being a different actor for Hellboy ruined the movie.
Adult Written bySam Marrick April 11, 2019

Fun but sloppy (in more ways than one).

It doesnt have the natural worldbuilding and storytelling of Del Toro's movies. Expect LOTS of clunky exposition and clumsy handling of themes and character motivations. Also the hero this time around is more charicaturized and one note than Perlman's nuanced and heartfelt portrayal. But it was never boring. Expect a deluge of gore. Guts/brains of all kinds are spilled rugularly. Much of it is over the top and even comical but there is some genuinely gnarly imagery sprinked throughout the movie; especially towards the end. A couple dozen f words give or take.
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byA Caring Mother April 14, 2019

Adult Written byNeon 999 April 14, 2019

Enjoyably bad

Helllboy is terribly incompetent. The plot is pointless, characters have no depth, the humor sucks, cg sucks, editing is garabge and it's so painfully edgy with it's excessive gore and language to the point where it's almost self aware ( almost being the key word) however tje action is fairly enjoyable and theres a few interesting shot but thats about it. Adults only
Adult Written byreversetimelordian1 April 20, 2019

Not appropriate for children

Hellboy is an extremely dark, bloody, and gory film with disturbing imagery. The film, however, has pacing issues, and multiple jokes teenagers would find funny. I'd recommend to not bring children to this gorefest of a film though due to some particular scenes in the film (e.g. as seen in the trailer, a film gets skinned and sliced in half by a demon, while another shot of the trailer shows a person getting impaled by a demon's leg).

Adult Written byRhyley grant April 11, 2019
It's extremely violent and very gore the word f--k used throughout the movie deffintly over 18+
Adult Written bytbsWatcher April 22, 2019

Not for everyone!

This Hellboy is a little to dark for movies and as much as i love Milla Jovovich, they could have picked someone else to play the witch. She just doesn't have the dark , "evil destroy all humanity" needed for this roll. I guess my big problem with Hellboy is, for the "Son of the fallen one" you'd think he'd not get his ass handed to him so much. When Perlmans Hellboy was taking a knock down u were given the feeling that he just underestimated his attacker, got up got angry then did his beat down. Don't get me wrong Perlman had his flaws but his Hellboy was created for a wider age group and I think they did a pretty good job. If you want dark Hellboy stick to the comics. If ur going to put him on screen ur going to limit ur audience and most likely loose money.
Adult Written byGrreeeenn April 18, 2019

Feel like trailer spoiled the entire movie

Trailer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dt5g5_1cKVk Really spoiled the entire movie for me, I could effortlessly predict the whole thing and pair that with the main character can’t die trope, the movie was almost unenjoyable.
Adult Written byOctaneless April 17, 2019

Not way to gory and no innoproprient scenes

Good
Parent of a 9 year old Written byCooldudeben75 April 12, 2019

Hellboy!