Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Her

Graceful, strange romance with intense moments of sexuality.

Parent of a 11 and 16 year old Written bylightworker23 December 29, 2013

Great acting, but a little creepy & boring

NOT for kids 15 and younger. I rely on Commonsensemedia's judicious reviews & recommendations and I almost always agree. However, they were off with this one. We began watching it with our 16 year-old and she became very uncomfortable and left the room after a scene where the main character calls a phone sex line. My husband and I turned off the film shortly after because we found it to be a bit creepy and dull. The acting is great, however, and the story idea is not a bad one.

Parent Written byshanghaischells February 15, 2014

Interesting but uncomfortable for 14 and under

I normally trust Common Sense Media's staff reviews. I usually find them to be a little more conservative than my own personal beliefs BUT they really undersold the explicit "phone" sex in this film. I caution other parents that while the film is useful for a discussion about our relationship with technology that benefit does not out way the explicit sexual content. Full verbal orgasms and threesomes seem pretty explicit to me. 16 and up for this film.

Adult Written byaseltine June 22, 2014

Intriguing ideas, Good acting, inappropriate amount of fantasy sex & swearing

The amount of swearing is inappropriate, and unnecessary for this movie. There are around 40 "F" words and some "P" words. Hollywood seems bent on trying to beat the other movie for amount of swearing that they can throw into the movie. I don't like it. I think it devalues the movie and the actors themselves. The amount of fantasy sex and a couple scenes of graphic sex is inappropriate for a young person under 17. I am not calling a person under 17 a kid, I am saying that the amount of fantasy sex and graphic sex will make a young person with moral convictions very uncomfortable. My daughter is over 17, she can see it, but she would be very uncomfortable with the scenes. I am not saying that the amount of fantasy sex or graphic sex is inappropriate for what the movie is striving to do. The idea of the movie is pretty intriguing. The AI in this movie is not evil as it is in some movies, such as 2001 Space Odyssey, Colossus: The Forbin Project, The Matrix Movies etc. The AI is more like I Robot. The idea of the O/S is very interesting, and the interweaving of the AI with the O/S experimenting and learning is what is interesting to me. The actors are some of the best in Hollywood and they do a good job, I just feel that the amount of swear words devalues their acting ability and really is not needed to make a good movie, and does not make a good movie better.

Adult Written bykipwalker44 October 22, 2014

Beautiful, bizarre romance is very psychological

"Her" has all the ingredients for a perfect movie- superbly acted, well-developed and sympathetic characters, innovative plot line, authentic dialogue, gorgeous cinematography and score, you name it. However, due to a couple of scenes depicting graphic sex, it's better to wait until you're 17 or older to see this film.

Adult Written bynickk1 July 29, 2015

Great Review

You guys captured exactly what is fantastic about this movie.

Adult Written bykpianist7 August 28, 2015

So poignant and really makes you think!

I watched this movie at 18 years old with a friend, and we both agreed that we would have been freaked out if we had seen it any younger. This is an adult movie. There's some very intimate phone sex scenes with verbal orgasm. Also, I really don't think kids-- or even teens-- would be interested in this. Most of it will go right over their heads unless they are incredibly mature. It explores all the quirks of an adult relationship with a computer. It's beautiful, it's weird, and you really don't want to see it (and shouldn't see it) until you are old enough to be in an adult relationship yourself.

Adult Written bymichaelmcgcp. February 2, 2015

Wow amazing but read

I am 15 years old and this was uncomfortable for me. Yes this was a great movie but there was a lot of fantasty sex including an operating system moaning while he fantasizes over a naked pregnant woman. Also it is very depressing because he is falling in love with a computer who wishes to have a body. It is very sad for me to watch because you know in the back of your head that hes in love with a voice. If you have mature kids who wil not be overwhelmed by the sex and discussions then its ok. If you decide to watch it with them have acess to a remote to either mute or fast forward any uncomfortable parts. Overall it was a great movie amd will leave you filled with emotions.

Adult Written bychristian2011 December 28, 2014

Eccentric and futuristic love story with

Her is truly the preposition of the new age of the romance genre movies. I'm honestly not into romance themed films but Her definitely caught me off guard. It really conveyed a sublime, eloquent message to the term of which we conventionally define "true love" yet in a different interpretation in this film. The characters in this movie had such depth, dialogue, and genuine qualities, and the script was near perfect - "makes you feel like they're real people". HER may be a brilliant sci-fi romance movie but it's not intended for younger audiences due to several highly suggestible reasons. First, it contains language, rather frequent and strong (uses of f**k, sh*t) and other anatomical crude terms; second is sexual content, which there's "indirect sexual intercourse" between a man and his voice operating system, implied masturbation, and some other sexual references. One scene includes a fully nude woman posing while pregnant with very explicit nudity, such as breasts, buttocks, and her private region, graphically shot, but only for a few seconds. Nevertheless, HER is a magical experience which mature audiences are guaranteed to enjoy. Great acting, great story.

Adult Written byJoshR 1 June 27, 2015

Her creates a beautiful and resonant vision of the future, some adult situations/themes

Her tells the story of Theodore Twombly, a lonely man living in the near, but believable future. Theodore has just gone through a divorce with his wife, who he had deeply loved. When Theodore buys a brand new OS, it is female and can talk, and has very real human emotions. And as ridiculous as it sounds, Theodore falls in love with Samantha, the OS. Her is a beautiful film, Joaquin Phoenix makes a fantastic performance as the main character, and Scarlett Johanson is great as Samantha. Even though the plot sounds ridiculous, it is executed extremely well. But parents, be warned, Her is not necessarily for kids. It has a great deal of bad language and some sexual content. Near the beginning of the film, Theodore has explicit phone sex(not with Samantha) while imagining a topless pregnant woman. This scene is not all that long, and no sex is scene on screen, but the dialogue is sexually explicit. Later on in the film, Theodore has phone sex with Samantha, there is not really any dialogue except for some moaning. Another scene involves a sex surrogate, no sex ends up happening as the characters come to realize what they are doing isn't right. This scene mostly consists of kissing and like I said before, no sex. As for language, there are a great number of F bombs in this film as well as some sexual dialogue. As I said before, Her is a fantastic film. It has a message about who we are as humans and how much we can love someone. Her is a little iffy for a 16 year old depending on how the parent would feel, but it would be absolutely fine for 17 year olds.

Adult Written byParentReviews301 January 20, 2014

A beautiful, yet haunting romance from Spike Jonze.

"Her" is the latest film from Spike Jonze and is by far his best work since "Being John Malkovich". In Her, the topics of loneliness and the thought of technology becoming greater than social interaction is explored and while there are some brief sex scenes, nothing is shown graphically with most of it being implied. Due to the thought provoking themes and outstanding performances, Her is best for Teens 15+

Adult Written byparent987 May 17, 2014

ok

My kids liked the movie. I have one 8yr and one 5yr they like the idea of falling in love with a phone

Adult Written byDonny E. September 2, 2017

Offers emotional honesty that is rare in movies.

"Her" portrays and dives into the depths of numerous human emotions and does so beautifully and more importantly accurately. As an audience we witness the main character Ted, experience the numbing effects of loneliness that one often finds themselves feeling, but we also see him experience the revitalization that often comes with the feeling of love and finding someone you can genuinely connect with. "Her" does an excellent job at portraying the emotions we feel but are too scared to accept. This movie is a perfect analysis of the natural inclination we have to feel intimacy or connection with another entity that understands us and accepts us for who we are... even if that entity is your computer.