Adult Written byLilyPad250 April 9, 2008

Shame on Disney

My 2 1/2 year old wanted to watch this movie, so I sat and watched it with her. I turned it off less than half of the way through due to inappropriate scenes. There was a lot of crude behavior, especially of a sexual nature and was demeaning towards women. Also the "heroine", Hercules' love interest is an immoral woman. People are rude and mean, smoke, etc.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bytrafficdesign September 18, 2011

Beware of the pit of death

I am 5 years old and the pit of death/souls scene scared me very much. I had nightmares and was freaked out and thought that it was real. I don't think this movie is for kids aged 5. (As told to my Dad who typed this).
Adult Written byFerron008 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byBrij1234 September 29, 2015

Sort of mocks Christianity in my opinion

I didn't like how the group of women who show a lot of leg and sing about Heracles kept on singing "and that's the gospel truth" about Hercules' life. The Gospel truth is a Christian thing about the good news about Jesus Christ coming to save humans. I feel that it mocks Christianity to call Greek demi-Gods the gospel truth. I also didn't like that Meg sold her soul to the underworld king for her ex-boyfriend.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Parent of a 7, 9, 12, and 15 year old Written bysupermommy79 May 7, 2015

Great but not for very young kids.

Ok. Showed this to my 7 year old daughter and she was scared of the Underworld and Pit of Death. Anyways my 9 and 12 year olds enjoyed it. So did my 15 year old.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bymnmama2 January 18, 2015

True to story but fairly violent

Hercules has super-human strength and uses it often throughout the movie. Lots of mythical creatures that could be frightening to younger kids (huge scary centaur, multi-headed large dragon, underworld creatures that destroy the earth).
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy February 27, 2013

Awesome.

This movie is an instant classic from Disney.I loved it as a kid.It has positive messages,good role models,educational value,and lighthearted stuff.Well,excpt for some violence,sex,rude remarks,and SOME drinking/smoking.Other than that,this movie is great.
Adult Written bynduns May 13, 2011

Not the masterpiece I remember it being

Ah, yes, I remember loving this film when I was younger, but looking at it now, it's just kind of... meh. The animations I won't dwell on as Disney was just simply trying out a different style for the film. (Even if the CGI is rather cheap for the time, and considering how good the panther head in Aladdin looked there is no excuse for that) The songs are also very nice, Menken once again impressing me, but the story is not only the most predictable of the 90's (Pretty much retelling Superman/Rocky) but most of the main characters (Keyword being MOST!) are very bland a 2-dimensional. Hercules himself is nothing more than a boring hero, that guy who barrels into danger without thinking. I can barely tolerate it in rpgs, and at least those have something to distract me from the blandness... this doesn't. The only interesting characters are Meg and Hades, Meg having more depth than most Disney females in films like these and Hades just bringing with him a great personality and the way his flames are like a mood ring is pretty cool too. Everyone else is just bland and never really changes as a character... well, not by much anyway. Something my dad pointed out while we were watching this was that the fight scenes were much more cartoony than in other Disney creations, and I can see that. While I normally see heart and soul put into the action scenes in other Disney films, these fight scenes had little to no soul, just "hey, let's have these characters kick each other around". They're entertaining, sure, but they're not the most memorable out there.