Kid reviews for Hick

Runaway teen faces violence, harsh reality in mature drama.

Teen, 13 years old Written bywjohnson71499 July 23, 2012

Hick

It was a great movie as far as acting and storyline but is not for young veiwers. Aside from language, sexual themes, drugs, drinking, etc. it was a great movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byharrypotter13 June 13, 2012

Chloe Moretz is the star of the film, the movie...meh, okay.

I think it had the potential to be a really good movie. I remember my sister reading the book. It was actually a pretty good coming of age novel. I think the movie sort of lost the "coming-of-age" genre, and it changed more to drama and comedy. Chloe Moretz is around my age, and she is absolutely wonderful in my opinion, but overall, I think this movie is okay for a good, mature 13 year old. NO ONE UNDER! Sure, the violence isn't something to laugh about, but I think it's something a normal 13 year old, like myself, would be able to handle.

Teen, 16 years old Written byjm97 February 1, 2013

A touching, heart wrenching film

I absolutely adore this movie. It tells the story of Luli, portrayed by Chloe Grace Moretz, who puts actresses fifteen years older than her to shame, a 13 year old girl who is abandoned by her alcoholic parents and decides to go to Las Vegas. She encounters Eddie, a cripple who offers her a ride. After a disagreement with him she leaves the car. She then meets Glenda, a crack addict that takes her under her wing. It is definitely difficult to get through, but I loved it and I am very happy I decided to see it. I think it would be ok for fourteen and up, but you have to be mature to handle some potentially upsetting scenes, including implied rape and gun violence. This was a beautiful coming-of-age story, GO SEE IT!

Kid, 8 years old February 21, 2015

wow

Luly was really pretty in this and she was smart. this movie teaches a good lesson to not trust anyone. Eddie was really mean and when he cried i thoght he deserved it. The old man in the end was nice though. I didnt like her new hair. The movie was kind of scary sometimes but in a year it will be ok for me.

Teen, 16 years old Written bymoomoo123 June 19, 2017

Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats February 16, 2013

Trouble Travels Together

Hick tells the story of Luli (played excellently by the talented Chloe Grace Moretz) who runs away from home after feeling abandoned. She decides to run away to Las Vegas but runs into many complications. Definitely a mature film. Has sexual themes including rape, and deals with themes like drug usage and abandonment. Pause for thirteen and up because of all this but there is no rape on screen and the rest is average R material but a teen should be able to stomach this and make them appreciate their good life. Writing is a weak point but the performances and strong story elevate the film. B.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTommorowisareality13 November 22, 2015

For mature teens only

I think that this is perfectly fine for 13 and up, but if there is any situation in which your child cannot or should not see violence, rape/sex or drugs do not show this movie to them.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLuke Judah June 20, 2014

Actually pretty good!

I initially went into this film just for chloe grace moretz, but I actually got invested in the story. Luli's character is introduced to us very well, and chloe grace moretz does a great job at portraying her. All the other characters take a back seat to her character, and the main antagonist doesn't get much character development. Some could say the ending is rushed, but life can be that way sometimes. BE WARNED! This film has a lot of mature themes, and they are portrayed in a very realistic way. Also the implied rape might upset some people.

Teen, 14 years old Written bysammi April 22, 2014
great movie. it can be hard to understand at times but i think its appropriate for 14 and over.