All parent member reviews for Hocus Pocus

Parent of a 12 year old Written bylittleone522 February 19, 2011

Beware of the word "Virgin"

A great movie for the whole family. My only concern is the constant use of the word "virgin" as this may lead to an uncomfortable question from your children. Depending on how easily spooked your kids get, this movie may also contain some frightening scenes for the little ones. The message in this movie is clear and a possitive one as it shows that family and friends stick together. There really isnt any bad language in this movie. As I said before my only concern was the use of the word "virgin" so I leave it up to parents to decide if this movie is appropriate for their child.
Parent Written byScratchDad November 3, 2014

cute and silly, "virgin" every 5 minutes

I had originally held off watching this with my kids after reading the Common Sense review. Luckily after to talk to MY peers I felt more secure in showing it to my 5 and 8 year old. I have to stress there's very little to be worried about in this movie other than the word "virgin." There are a couple of scary moments but the biggest is at the top of the movie and a kid dies in that scene but really I don't think my kids even knew that happened. Even the mean bullies are pretty tame. There's no swearing. Violence is limited to sparks coming out of a witch's hands and zapping kids. The later "scary" scenes are mixed with silliness. My kids loved it: both of them. For people I knew I'd say this film is fine for 5 or 6 year old, but I'm saying 7 to be safe. I'm writing my first review for this movie just because the official one seems SO off. I'll reiterate "virgin" is used a 100 times in this movie so you may get asked about that but other than that it's a perfect Halloween time movie.
Parent Written bytarmale September 30, 2011

Good movie with some risque language

I love this movie! My kids watched it when they were little and it was just fine then. However, since this is a Disney moive I'm surprised about the word "virgin" being used constantly in the movie as in "the candle was lit by a virgin". Now I don't like them watching it as much. They could have easily used the word "child" as it is after all a children's movie
Parent of a 11 year old Written bycaribbeandream November 3, 2015

Classic Halloween movie for teens and above

We look forward to watching this movie every Halloween. There is a reason why this movie is still going strong 20 years after it's release. It's a classic.
Adult Written byJacieDaize October 19, 2011

It's not for kids or adults!

VERY sexual in talk. Some of which is talking about nudity and private parts. Loved it growing up but now that I know what it's talking about I was very shocked and had to turn it off! It's not for kids nor for adults either.
Adult Written byFelicity1169 August 21, 2012

Still my favorite Halloween Movie

I loved this movie as a kid and I still do. It's cheesy and outdated but some how I still find it enjoyable. I watch it every year with my family along with Halloween Town and Charlie Brown. There is some iffy sex stuff but it really does go over most kids heads like the saying goes. You might have to explain what a virgin is just because they use the term so much. It can also be a little scary but honestly what fun is Halloween with out a scary movie?
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written byRunesong October 13, 2011

Good tween Halloween fun, if you can get past some mildly "iffy" content.

This movie is another tween pick with an appropriate amount of scare minus the gore. Based loosely on the Salem witch trials, the story centers around 3 "real" witches that return in the present as a result of a curse they cast on the town when originally sentenced to death in the past. There are a couple of unnecessary words (see main review above) & a few mild sexual references, such as the use of the word "virgin" in reference to spell requirements which result in the use of a young girl to light a candle & Sarah Jessica Parker's sometimes flirtatious, although childish & obviously unstable, character. The children are positive role models that stick together & try to do the right thing as they learn the history of the town & it's famous witches, despite the threat of personal peril. The evil, but bumbling, witches are comical most of the time, never too scary despite being out to get the town's children, & are eventually foiled again. Overall, a playful Halloween adventure for tweens!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bydramaqueen@hotm... September 2, 2011

a fun halloween movie yay!!!

fun halloween movie i think its great for all ages fun halloween movie yay!
Parent of a 1, 4, 5, and 8 year old Written byUTMomof4 October 30, 2010
This movie scared me when I was a kid, I was about 8 when I watched it. I think there are more sexual references than people are remembering, the blond witch is really slutty. I won't be letting my 8 year old and younger kids watch it. I'd say wait until they are 11 or 12.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byYBNormal January 7, 2009
Adult Written bygoodgirl January 9, 2016

Cool nintes Halloween movie.

A nintes Halloween movie that is cool. not bad at all.
Adult Written byAnnaS 4 October 31, 2015

A great movie for kids!

I was three when i saw this movie. i saw it the year it came out on vhs. All these people giving one star reviews are much to sensitive. Kids are smart, an its not good to hide things like sex from them. The sooner they learn, the better off they will be in choosing a safer life for themselves. So what if you have to tell them what a virgin is? Big whoop. At least you don't have to talk about more extreme things sex can entail. This movie is good campy fun, and i loved it even as a three year old. Every halloween since then my parents and i have seen this movie and get a good laugh out of it. However, i do recommend kids be 6 or older to watch it. Cause i remember some parts did scare me, like with Billy and the cat, Zackary. I won't spoil anything but you will know what i am talking about if you have seen this movie. over all, its a good flick, and it can give you a chance to safely talk to your kids about more sensitive subjects like bullying, and some aspects of sex.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byamazing_amy October 31, 2015
Adult Written byashtonw October 26, 2015

Good Movie

I think the CSM review is a bit on the conservative side of the spectrum, most of the negative stuff fly's right over kids heads, and I would rather kid asked me about any of this then learning about it form others later in school. Its funny, and thats what kids remember.
Adult Written bymatthewc June 4, 2015

A Fun Halloween Film, but A little risqué

"Hocus Pocus" is a fun Halloween film, but parents need to be aware of the innuendo, double entendres and thematic elements. Kids ages 13+ will understand the content but children 12- it will go right over their heads. I suggest previewing the film before letting your little ones watch it. While it received a PG rating for Scary Sequences and Language it's more of a PG-13 because of its Supernatural themes and thematic elements and innuendos as well as double entendres. It even gets a TV-14 rating on ABC Family (prior to 2014 a cut version aired with a TV-PG-LV) Know your children before letting them watch this.
Adult Written byAmaBout September 22, 2014

hocus pocus

i think it is fun and spooky and all good Halloween fun, if your get is super easily spooked then you might want to wait till they are 10 or 11 but if they are not easily spooked or love spookiness(like haunted houses made for kids) then let them watch this fun/funny movie...
Adult Written bywonder dove September 15, 2012

Classic Halloween fun for kids and families!

Hocus Pocus is a great adventure! The perfect Halloween themed movie for kids and families - with talking cats and crazy zombies...what's not to love. I used to watch this once a year with my Dad (best Dad ever!) and he always loved the three witches! The humor is done perfectly and makes the film less scary for young ones. I love the fantasy atmosphere and it really brings back great memories. It starts with a tale told about the three Sanderson sisters who come back after their candle is lit by a virgin. A teenaged boy lights the candle while fooling around on Halloween night. The witches return for some good scary fun as all three characters must find a way to stop the spell before they take everyone over! Looove it! Mild violence (some bullying by older teenagers), brief reference to a drug & cigarettes, mild sexy stuff like a teen crush (and talk of a virgin throughout). MUST WATCH for the kids!