Kid reviews for Hocus Pocus

Rollicking Halloween fun for tweens and up.

a great movie

not all that scary a good film 4 kids love a must see

Great movie with good laughs!

I really enjoyed it.It was interesting to see Sarah Jessica Parker in that character. It was a little unrealistic but,it was a Halloween movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypeace6001 October 14, 2011

A great Halloween classic!

Its a great Halloween oldie, I think maybe kids that are NOT that sensitive, but I personally thought it was a unique and really bewitching movie.

Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag January 3, 2013

Pure entertainment... some scary content.

"Hocus Pocus" is a Halloween comedy released in 1993. -------------------------- Nowhere meant to be any serious, "Hocus Pocus" is quite a lot of fun. It became a cult classic over the years, especially to those who were born in the 1990s or later, and for many families it is the traditional Halloween film. Yes, it is not great, but still, you get what you're most likely expecting from a movie like this: a sweet Halloween movie, with minor scares, much comic relief and not much to think about. But, let's face it: the movie nowhere intended to be more than that. There are no great actors, not much story and at least one plot hole. But anyway, it doesn't matter with this one, the fun isn't spoiled because of the fact. In conclusion, "Hocus Pocus" is an entertaining film with lots of silly fun, and perfect if you look for a movie you can watch on Halloween. -------------------------------------- (SPOILERS may follow:) Being a Halloween comedy, this is a movie that may scare younger viewers. But also, there are many moments of comic relief. There is a zombie character (but he is a good one), and at two points, his head falls off. And in one scene, his fingers get torn off by a manhole. All this is comic, and he never has pain or something, and continues "living". A cat (actually an enchanted boy) gets run over by a car, but because of a spell quickly comes back to life. It is hard to rate this movie, it aims at younger viewers and because of its many, many moments of comic relief it is handable, but there are surely many children who will be frightened. But with parental guidance, it should be okay for younger viewers around 6.

Kid, 12 years old December 2, 2011

Hocus Pocus 101

Don't even bother with this movie. It is very sexual, creepy, and the language use is out of control! I am sure some 11 year olds might enjoy this, but I hated it! :(

Teen, 14 years old Written bysarah_emily October 21, 2011

Think Logically

I've been watching this movie since I was seven years old. The movie always made me laugh, and the witches were more silly than evil. If anything, occasional profanity would be the one "iffy" part of it. And the average 7 year old wouldn't understand any of the sexual references.

Kid, 7 years old June 28, 2014

The 3 Witches

There was a little violence but the film was funny and really good for kids my age.

Teen, 13 years old Written bywefwefwefwef June 24, 2016
It's fine for kids at any age. Some kids like semi scary movies like this from a young age, some don't, though I wouldn't say that this one is good for kids under 5, since they'd get spooked. It's up to you to decide if your kid would get scared or not. For all with concerns about the word 'virgin' - it's much better that you explain what the birds and the bees are rather than someone else. Sure, there were plenty of sexual references, but it would just go over the head of most younger kids. The references are quite veiled, so if your kid catches on then it's obvious that they haven't learnt anything new. The only thing that I found slightly concerning to be in a Disney film was the blondes line 'lets hang him up on a hook so I can play with him' which is a bit.... Honestly, fine for any kid. A number of innuendos, but it just makes it more interesting for you to watch, while your kid probably wont notice. You can't smother your kid in cotton wool forever.

Kid, 12 years old October 23, 2011

Pointless, DO NOT SEE MOVIE

I've watched this movie 2 times and I still have the same opinion: it's VERY STUPID. It's very pointless and it was just a waste of time watching it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFrankieStineMon... November 4, 2010

best for 2+ if there not scared. some r. it depends.

common sense, epic fail. my cousinns were 2(i think hard to remember havent seen them in 2 years) and 3. i think austin(2) wached it, but i know tori(3)wached it. the blond one is not so bad. and it is verry good. my cousin(s) werent scared. they loved it. i was8 or 9 when i wached it. no problem there. :)

Teen, 13 years old Written byMadelineMini November 8, 2014

A Great Halloween Classic!

This movie is hilarious and not too scary for younger kids! There is some inappropriate humor including the Madonna costume and the devil, but it just slips through children's minds. Overall a great classic for the whole family to enjoy!

Kid, 12 years old October 15, 2010

A witchy movie, perfect for the young witch on Halloween!!

It is quite good and brillant if you want to watch together with your family or just with your friends at a Halloween slumber party, but be warned some aspects of this movie may disturb or even frighten children. Some parts are kinda scary with the witches trying to gain immortality by taking children's souls, when Max stupidly lights a cursed candle and the cottage starts shaking and the part when Max gives his soul to the witches to prevent his sister's soul been taken. Plus there are some religious bits like the witches mistaking some man in a costume as the Devil and getting panicky about the girl dressed as a angel. other that, a great Halloween movie!

Teen, 15 years old Written byCooltiger37 September 5, 2018

Awful, but generally fine for kids

I think CSM was overreacting a bit with the violence here. Although there is one scene at the very beginning with a little girl getting the "life force sucked out of her" by the witches, it's really not that bad. In fact, overall, except for some bloodless scenes where a zombie's head is repeatedly kicked off, the film isn't really that much more violent than "Spooky Buddies" (which scared the pants off of me as a kid). The biggest concern for me is the sexual references. And I mean, a LOT of sexual references. I don't care if one or two obscure adult jokes are dropped in a kids' movie, but it's really weird (and annoying) to hear the word "virgin" dropped in a PG movie about 20 times or so. Also, expect some strong (and extremely uncomfortable) sexual come-ons between the witches and a bus driver. Overall, though, although this movie is one of the worst Disney movies I've ever seen with loads upon loads of boring clichés, bad acting, annoying characters, and eye-rolling melodrama bogging down an already convoluted (and predictable) plotline, it's generally OK for kids, just as long as parents don't mind the sexual content. My MPAA rating: PG for some scary images and action; and for sexual references.

Kid, 10 years old October 22, 2017

The Movie For 4 Year Olds and Virgin?

Seriously, this is supposed to be a kids movie, which it is. There was one good jump scare for me, and I enjoyed it. But they say "virgin" like 30 times. It's extremely odd for such a kids movie. Whatever, just unneeded.

Teen, 17 years old Written bydavispittman January 8, 2017

Halloween family classic!

Hocus Pocus is a Halloween family favorite! It's just pure seasonal fun for kids and adults alike. I think that children 8+ should be able to handle this funny Bette Midler classic. Bette, Kathy, and Sarah are all great in the starring roles as the Sanderson sisters. There isn't any horribly innaprooriate content, given that it's a Disney made film made for family viewing. The word “virgin" is heard numerous times, since its central to the plot. And other mild language is infrequent but language.

Kid, 12 years old April 23, 2013

just watch it it is a family moive that has no certain age

it is a good moive i have nothing aganist it

Kid, 7 years old April 1, 2012

Awsome

It's to funny.my little girl loves it She loves the cat
Teen, 13 years old Written byDanbail613 November 12, 2018

"Oh, look another glorious morning, it makes me sick!" - Love this Halloween movie.

This is a great classic Halloween movie for teens. Although, if you show this to 11 or 12 year olds, you would have to skip some stuff. Violence: Some scary sequences. It starts when a little girl gets lost and the witches kidnap her, (nothing shown). The witches are hung in the beginning. A cat is run over by a car (spoiler alert: but he comes back to life). Some children are caged up in one scene. But, here are the scary sequences, which you need to fast-forward through for children under 13. When they're in the graveyard, a grungy-looking zombie comes out of his grave chases them. Another scene happens when they come back to the graveyard and the zombie takes a pocketknife and opens it's mouth! It chokes on something like a moth or a piece of paper afterwards but.. (spoiler alert: the zombie's actually a good guy). (Spoiler alert: Yes, the witches die at the end). Sex: None. Although they mention "virgin" a lot. The little girl jokes about someone's "yabos". Language: Not an issue. HE double hockey sticks is used, and other mild insults like that. No swearing. Drinking or Drugs: None.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMoviegirl700 October 31, 2018

Common Sense review sums up some things, misses others, and confuses some.

This movie is great for tweens and teens and adults-but for younger kids it's too much yucky stuff. Messages/Models: Family and what is right. Violence: Witches suck people's life out of them, raise someone back to life, fingers, heads, and other body parts fall off, a monster cuts his mouth open, some issues with Satan, which is meant to be funny, but may not be for all families, other things with potion making, and spells. A cat is run over, which may affect young viewers, and there is crying involved. Language: Is not infrequent. One scene has 5 d*** at once, others have mean names. Sex: A boy imagines he is hugging a girl, and remarks how she is soft. The word yabos is used two or three times, a kiss, and a guy and girl sleep together. The word virgins is used many times, and a boy is teased of being a virgin. Witches board a bus and tell the bus driver they want children (to take their lives, not to have their own). He misinterprets and says it might take him a few tries but eventually they'll get there. He flirts with the blonde witch. All in all, good for mature 9 year olds, and tweens can handle it.