All parent member reviews for Holes

Adult Written bytjdavison April 9, 2008

Very Faithful Adaption of a Great Book for Kids (and Adults)

It is surprising to me how passionate many 10 - 13 year old boys are for the book. There has been a great deal of anticipation since they became aware that the movie was being made. Now that it has arrived, they won't be disappointed. Louis Sacher wrote quite a cinematic book and also the screenplay and it is obvious he knows his characters and his audience. I was very impressed with how "clean" the movie is. I can imagine the justification to add stronger language because "that's the way boys talk to each other." Instead the "bad words" are very few and very mild. The cast is excellent. Very good work from all the principals. Great lessons about tolerence, poverty, friendship, and responsibility told in subtle, appealing ways.
Adult Written byspongebobrocks22 April 9, 2008

bad for young kids

this is a movie that has lots of bad words and violence
Adult Written bySFDad April 9, 2008

Graet Movie for kids and parents.

This movie is based on a great book, and my kids loved it...as well as the book. It really typifies the kind of family movies that should be made far more often. check it out with your kids.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 8, 2012

Some themes may not be okay for younger kids.

My stepdaughter has nightmares about this movie. It is definitely geared toward a little older audience. The thing that got her was the snake bite, how the lady let the snake bite her so she would die. This really affected her. It's not off for age 8, it's just pause. You really need to know your child. Some kids are really affected by death, and this movie has a more realistic feel. It's not just silly violence, it's really more of an intelligent movie, so it feels real. There's a lot of bodies in coffins and stuff, so it could be scary. Just beware.
Adult Written byCarrieAnnPatrick April 9, 2008

Absolutely inappropriate for elementary students

If your elementary school has this movie on their list of media choices. You want to review this movie before they show it. It deals with too many social and emotional concepts for your elementary student to understand, comprehend or even think about dealing with at this age. It will leave them with an uneasy feeling trying to work through the emotions they are left with.
Adult Written bypet_lover April 9, 2008

LUV THIS MOVIE

THIS IS A MUST WATCH FOR OLDER CHILDREN AND TWEENS AND IS ENJOYABLE FOR ALL AGES
Educator Written byWorkmanbsa May 27, 2014

Make the Older Kiddos Think

This is a challenging film. It has a rather extensive plot that it explains very well, a pretty dark look into racial tensions, and a reminder that not everyone in law enforcement is on your side. That said for an older child (8+) this movie is still easy enough to follow. As long as you go in ready to explain why they are being so mean to the black man, or what is a family curse, you will be just fine. The only complaint I have is that for a kids movie there is a bit of curses muttered. Nothing too obscene but that's probably what got it the PG rating.
Adult Written byspidervscorp October 28, 2009

This is an exellent movie that has great messages about friendships, poverty, responsibility, and great lessons on adult/child comunication issues. Unfortunatly it does deal with issues such as suicide, racism, shooting, language, and children being treated like garbage. This is really a movie that you need to know your kid. Some 8 year olds might be able to deal with the content in the movie others wont.
Adult Written bytomp April 9, 2008

Best kids movie of the year

This movie is clever, highly entertaining, and has a message of the ascendancy of tolerance and high moral character. The kid who plays Zero is angelic, and the performances of the kids are as well-rounded as the adults are cartoonish.
Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008

Parent Written byMomof twins August 26, 2015

Dark movie with a hard edge but interesting twists for teens

I watched this hesitantly with my 9 yr olds and was uncomfortable with the amount of violence for their age group. There were several parts where a woman shoots men with a gun. A scary part where the warden paints her fingernails with snake venom and threatens them, then scratches someone's face. A woman intentionally kills herself, and a mob of angry people kill a black man. A lizard is shot with a gun. My son asked at one point are there going to be any more dead bodies after this? Whole feeling of film is dark but it does have some good messages about comradery and friendship and sticking up for other people. They did say they liked it, though. Violence might be inappropriate for kids under 12 yrs. old
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Adult Written byclarence August 5, 2015
Parent of a 2 year old Written bybabyghal August 8, 2012

Great MOvie

Great Movie! Best Movie ever! Love it. a must-see family movie
Adult Written by413804 February 4, 2012

Great

This is a great movie with good actors. I loved it as a first grader, but some kids might find it kind of slow. Stanley is a great role model
Parent of a 4, 7, and 10 year old Written byjohnsonptyof4@l... February 26, 2011

Good family movie

We all watched it as a family. The younger 2 kids however, weren't able to keep up as much as my 10 year old. I believe the content was ideal for older children in that it was thought-provoking. Showing the characters toggle between the past and the present events really make the viewers give thought to and hold their attention. The coffin scene was a bit questionable. Since we watched it during February, it allowed us to tie the building burning and interracial kiss to Black History Month. Overall, my entire family enjoyed it.
Adult Written byTwilight July 14, 2009
Adult Written byKIS sasha February 5, 2009

Reviewing the movie Holes

Holes review. By: Sasha Sayenko This movie, Holes won 3 emmie awards. It is a great movie itself in my opinion, and it has great actors. The movie is about a heartwarming story of a 14 year old Boy named Stanley Yelnats who always ends up at the wrong place at the wrong time. Throughout this movie, it will give you a touch of adventure, comedy, family, and mystery. He (Stanley Yelnats the 5th) is a boy where bad luck runs through his blood. Why so? Ask his great great grandfather. Before Stanley was born, his grandfather fell in love with a young woman named Mariah. He wanted to marry her, but so did another man. Her father did not know who, so he decided, whoever has the biggest and prettiest pig in 1 week, will get his daughter. Sighing, Stanley’s grandfather didn’t know what to do, so he decided to go get help from madam Zeronii. She gave him a beautiful pig and when time came to look at the pigs, they where both sooo great, the her father did not know which one to pick. He then gave the job to his daughter. She was so stupid, she said that she would think of a number 1 to 10, and whoever was the closest, she would marry. Angrily, he didn’t like the proposition, and he left. A favor that he promised madam Zeronii was not done, so on her death bed she put a curse on Stanley’s grandfather that his generation of kids would also be cursed for eternity. Acting is one or is one of the most important things to do in a movie. Actually, without acting, there would really be no movie, there would be just sound, a setting and music. Acting is very hard. In a whole movie there are a lot of lines, and not only do you have to learn them, you have to say them with feeling and give emotion to it also. So like I said, acting a very hard job. To be a good actor, you have to go to a special school and learn and be in drama when your in schools such as middle school and high school. People such as Kiera Nighly, Eva Longoria, and other people, now that’s called experts on acting, Acting takes a lot of time, work, and energy, but its worth to have a good movie. I really liked this movie and it actually teaches you a life lesson. It teaches you to be good and to not take other peoples things, and it teaches friendship, it teaches how to be a good sportsman. And the acting scenery and the movie itself was awesome! Thought out the movie, I sat the whole time on the couch and not getting up. I liked it so much that that same day I watched it the second time! I recommend that you watch this movie and I guarantee that you will like it.
Adult Written byclhallen April 9, 2008

Spiritual and funny movie for such a harsh setting.

The movie "Holes" was my favorite for 2003. I think that it could become a popular "cult" film, like "The Princess Bride." It made me laugh, especially when the Warden tells X-ray that he can have "an extra shower token and a snack" as a reward for supposedly finding the lipstick tube. It shows how a sincere guileless person like Stanley can respond positively to a negative environment, helping other people on the way. It has a message about our relationship to our ancestors, and to others in our cultural tradition. Captures the "magic realism" of some Latin American literature. The ending is breathtakingly spiritual, but avoids maudlin sentimentality: boys eating onions in a desert oasis. A bit reminiscent of the "well in the wilderness" theme of St. Exupery's "Little Prince."
Adult Written byadrian April 9, 2008

An awesome movie for the whole family

This was a great movie to watch with the kids. I don't usually enjoy many kids movies because of their poor writing and implausibility. This one was a great relief. Awesome story, funny characters, and some very good messages made this movie one I could recommend to anyone.