Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Holmes & Watson

Bad slapstick and innuendo ruin good-natured buddy comedy.

Parent Written byKerrih10 December 25, 2018

1st movie we walked out on. HORRIBLE. INAPPROPRIATE

This movie started out with sexual content and never stopped. Add drug references. The shocker was the main criminal was a obsessive masturbator (they made a million jokes just on that!!).Incredibly uncomfortable to watch with 15 year old. Also had anti Trump sentiment throughout. Not even funny. We walked out. So digusting.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byJoshua H. December 27, 2018

Too crass

I didn't mind the drug references, because they're historically accurate. (Doctors would prescribe dangerous drugs like cocaine and heroin for ailments, because they didn't know how dangerous they were back then), but it was the constant masturbation and penis jokes that drew the line for me. Not family friendly. Not even for teens. 16+ is the appropriate age range in my opinion

Adult Written byRebecca K December 25, 2018

Dirty waste of money

Went on Christmas Day with my 3 teens. We left after 20 minutes. Jokes were made about sex, masturbation, and smells and liquids involved. Poor taste in comedy.

Adult Written byTiffany S December 26, 2018

Not the humor we thought it would be

This movie is too inappropriate for kids even as an adult i found it fairly crude. We were looking for slap stick type comedy and walked out after too many jokes about the male genetalia. Not good for young girls maybe if you have an older teenage son he might find it funny but its still tasteless humor.

Adult Written byOztinato December 29, 2018

Great comedy

This is a great comedy with good laughs every few minutes. Great acting by Ferrell and Reilly. One of Will Ferrell's best comedies to date. How did the critics get this so wrong?? Either the critics have lost their sense of humour or they didn't get their palms greased.
Adult Written byCRRose December 28, 2018

Trailers are deceiving

Our 13YO daughter loves to watch the Netflix Sherlock Holmes - we were all anxious to see this version in the theater having seen the trailers and looking for some holiday laughs. after 20 minutes of cringing and hoping the focus would redirect from crude sexual content in several different forms, we left. This is not an appropriate movie for parents to watch with a 13-year-old daughter - not sure I'd stay and watch it without her either - hearing about scrotums and yanking off is really not my idea of great entertainment.

Adult Written byMandtx11 December 28, 2018

Locker room humor with a splash of stupidity

Save your money! Quite possibly the worst movie I’ve ever seen. Went as a family fun movie and I walked out with my daughter about 20 minutes in. The only way to describe this movie’s humor is when you aren’t funny, go for a penis joke. And this movie was full of them.

Adult Written byAaron Ranieri December 27, 2018

A perfect example of a John C Reilly Will Ferrell movie

It is exactly what you would expect from these two funny Direct and politically correct vulgar but in all the right places. funny sexual violent and full of everything that any person from my generation loves this is exactly what we've been waiting for just like how we all are waiting for another celebrity deathmatch to come back this is what we needed in 2018-2019
Adult Written byStevie111 December 27, 2018

Disappointing and ridiculous comedy pushes PG-13

I expected a lot from Holmes & Watson, mostly due to the cast. I was extremely disappointed, but I can't say I thought it was completely awful. It had its amusing moments, and I didn't find the humor to be much different than the humor in other Will Ferrell movies. It did feel forced. I felt like the movie was extremely weak besides Will Ferrell and John C Reilly. They did have a few funny parts together. It definitely had a lot of content that pushed the PG-13 rating, but I do think there are much more inappropriate PG-13 films. There are lots of sexual jokes. Language is strong, and there is a lot of comical fighting and violence. There are jokes involving characters getting drunk and using drugs. I didn't care for the film and wouldn't really recommend it, but Ferrell fans may find it amusing.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byltcolkep December 30, 2018

Little Redeeming Value

This movie is certainly not what I expect in a PG-13 movie. The seemingly never ending segment about masturbation should have knocked it beyond that rating. This could have been a fun movie (albeit predictable) had they left out some of the bawdy material. Certainly not a movie to take the kids to. And, in general, a waste of time.

Adult Written bySimo C January 5, 2019

I blame the writers....

They would have had so much fun making this movie....its a shame we had no fun watching it. The movie had the bases to be a great movie, if not a classic. Shamefully it wasnt.
Written byAnonymous December 31, 2018

The butt review

It is not to bad of a movie, it is not as crappy as everyone says. It's got some funny moments. There is drinking in the film where Holmes and Watson go to a bar. They even get drunk after and Holmes and Watson are drunkingly telling this man to send those two American girls messages and Watson gets the guy to take a picture of his penis to send. There is cocaine drug use where Holmes is always saying cocane in the morning is good for the mind and after a case when they need some, Holmes and Watson always take a little capsule of cocaine. There is no sex in the movie but there is a scene when the maid and a man walk out of watsons bedroom, Watson has a dream where him and a girl are playing chess and slowly removing clothes, no nudity, because right before the women takes off her bra the dream is interrupted by Holmes. There is not much action in the movie, some gun shooting. There is some bad language in the movie where they say damn and ass a couple times and s--t is used throughout the movie. There is one scene where Watson yells get me off the f--king wheel!
Adult Written by416 December 31, 2018

More appropriate then most WF movies

No matter what these other reviews say, the parents reviewing this don't realise kids hear this stuff way more at school then in this movie. While parents may think there are too many sexual references, there simply isn't anything that bad. Nothing is shown. As for the quality of the movie, this is a funny movie. It is not meant to be a teachable movie. Last time I checked, comedy is for humour. This is a funny movie that I would recommend watching.
Adult Written bySlendyDaMan December 30, 2018

Not as bad as people say

If you enjoyed stepbrothers, watch it. It's crude, dumb, and funny.

Adult Written bymamerjamer January 6, 2019

High School Boy “Humor”

We made the mistake of taking our 12 year old daughter to see this movie because she thought it looked funny in the commercials. What a mistake! We left and got our money back. Lots of male genitals-related content that only middle to high school aged boys would appreciate. Totally inappropriate for girls and not a movie that parents would enjoy watching with their children. On top of that - not funny. Skip it.

Adult Written byNeon 99 January 5, 2019

A painful theater experince i cannot recommend

How did this happen? John c reilley and will ferrel were comedy gold in tallageda nights and stepbrothers but this is just trash. It's just not funny in the slightest every joke is just awkward and cringe worthy and drags on far too long. Even at 90 minutes i still couldn't bear sitting due to sheer boredom. Do not watch
Adult Written byJohn M. December 30, 2018

Overhyped, more comedy less plot

The film is not as 'offensive' or 'inappropriate' as people say but at the beginning it is VERY crass and 'random' which is a common flaw in a lot of Will Ferrell films but the comedy proved itself a little more towards the end. To be honest I wouldn't bother unless there is some kind of cheap way you can see it. The concept is good but just falls short of decent in terms of acting and plot, in other words 'dumb fun' occasionally drug references are minor enough to fly over kids heads and sexual stuff is nothing outside of silly jokes. Overall disappointing but I don't know what else I expected.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byCooldudeben75 February 12, 2019
Holmes & Watson. For Life

Adult Written byjoem7890 January 26, 2019

PG13 IS REALLY R

Clearly todays PG rating is a ploy to get more tickets sold. Because most movies that rating are inappropriate for young peoplr. This one isn't for anyone.