Parent and kid reviews for Home Alone

Slapstick comedy is funny but full of iffy stuff.

Adult Written by4Spice October 24, 2009

a funny cristmas classic

one of the best funny christmas movie ever made very funny anyone can watch its very funny
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJamie and James March 14, 2010

A little off, but everything you could want in a movie.

Me and James have seen it once. That's it. It was funny, but maybe a bit inappropriatte for a 7-year-old. Still, a great movie, I recommend it!

Educator and Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byBibliomaniac Mom April 9, 2008

Classic Movie--Pushes Some Limits

I loved this movie growing up, and so I bought it for my kids for Christmas. I forgot how horribly ugly the family members in this movie speak to one another and the reference to "nude beaches" at the beginning, and when Kevin finds the Playboy magazine after he realizes he's alone in the house and can go exploring wherever-whatever he wants. But if you can get past these bits (they could have made their point more innocently) the movie is funny and empowering for kids. There were times when I thought I should turn it off, but, as always, know your kids, and talk with them about the things they see! An aside--I am very surprised that Common Sense Media doesn't address the "nude beaches" and Playboy magazine reference in their reviews. I would have liked to have seen this prior to showing the movie to my children.
Adult Written bybethblac March 26, 2009

Filled with inappropriate language

I checked the CS review, so I was caught offguard by the inappropriate language. My son (age 8) was shocked that I had rented a movie with so many "bad words". Please use caution. This site has been so helpful, please review the older movies with the same care as the current movies.

Parent of a 1, 4, and 7 year old Written byMr. Brown November 26, 2010

Disrespect prevails...

There are many things with which to take issue in this movie, given the intended audience, but what bothered me the most was the disrespectful way in which Kevin (the main character) and his family interacted in the beginning of the movie. I felt that the premise (young child accidentally left home alone for days) and ensuing events (robbers attempting to burglarize the house and said child's ability to ward them off) were all too fantastic to have an undue negative influence on my 7-year-old. I was, however, concerned about my child seeing all the verbal disrespect from child to adult and from adult to child in the beginning of the film. The understanding in our household is that we fast forward the movie to the point where the family leaves Kevin at home and take it from there. Seems counter-intuitive that a child being left home is more appropriate viewing than a child being sassy to his family, but my son seems to understand the fictional nature of the former.
Parent of a 2, 3, and 8 year old Written bymrssonnier82 December 26, 2009

This movie is not for yonger kids

Parent Written byHans_L February 28, 2015

Funny flick for older children

I remember watching this as a teenager and I found it very funny... I don't remember laughing that hard at a movie ever. I recently tried to flashback to this experience and watch this with my kids and my six year old son was wrecked. Reality check for me. My son was bummed that the kid was forgotten by his parents, kid shoplifts, freaky old guys trying to break-in... we stopped it about 20-ish minutes in. It's funny if you're older and understand it's comedy but I didn't want to try to convince my kids this was funny. I was too bummed seeing this movie through my six year old's eyes. They'll 'get it' when they're older. For now, we'll leave this on the shelf.
Parent Written byDenver77 December 27, 2013

Not exactly family friendly, more like a PG-13

Really is hard to tell any positive models or roles in this movie. Parental disobedience, undisciplined kid, watching violent movies, foul language, siblings bullying each other. Nested on all these are the laughs. We watch the first 20mins but we spent quite a bit of time explaining so many negative things to the kids that we had turn it off.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bydnpseattle December 25, 2012

Language, bad behavior and one disturbing killing scene with an automatic rifle.

We were quite surprised (shocked) by the first 15 minutes of the movie and almost shut it off. There is a lot of disrespectful talk (words/phrases like: ass, moron, idiot, jerk, shut up) and behavior between Kevin and his siblings. The dialogue between Kevin and his mother is also pretty heavy. The Playboy magazine mentioned in another reviewer's post is something we just did not call attention to and it was fine. At the time of this writing, the Sandy Hook shootings are still fresh in our minds. After Kevin realizes he is alone, he begins eating junk food and watching TV. He picks an old black and white movie, Angels with Filthy Souls, to watch. Although heavily exaggerated, the scene in which the gangster shoots another gangster with a semi-automatic weapon while laughing maniacally is really disturbing. My kids have never seen this kind of gun violence on TV or in film. The gunmen then continues shooting at the fallen body (which is shown being shot) while laughing. Look, I get that this part if important for the plot of the movie, but it was gratuitous and unnecessary. After the first 20 minutes, the movie continues to be somewhat rude. Yes the pranks Kevin plays on the burglars are terrible, but they are obviously exaggerated (and funny). Yes, Kevin is smart and resourceful, but we felt we needed to emphasize with our kids that the pranks, which led to no real harm in the movie, would have a very different outcome in the the real world. In the end, the movie ended up being OK, but the first 15-20 minutes really left a bitter aftertaste. I could have skipped this movie...and kind of wished that I had.

Adult Written byCharlie o. April 9, 2008
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 10, 10, and 17 year old Written byCharlie The Cat December 18, 2011

Tweens are Ok But Nothing Younger

This Is Good But No Kids (Under The Age of 9).
Adult Written bysafa977 April 9, 2008

A great movie

Some moderate words like "cr*p" "a**" but nothing sever.
Parent of a 11, 13, 16, and 18+ year old Written bycome to pa pa August 13, 2015

funny a tradtion in my house

its a movie about a kid hes acdinetly left alone bad guyz come and he has to fight it teaches kids what to do when a bad guy atackas its funnu as hell must see and just so u know u should get a sony vaio ux micro pc for youre kid for x mas
Adult Written byEvildrunkbee February 12, 2011

Great for older children and adults but not under 7

Ok so I remember seeing this movie when I was about 10 and at that point I was old enough to know this movie was unrealistic and for pure entertainment. Now as an expectant mother watching with my 4-year old nephew, I have had to mute and fast forward many scenes to avoid exposing him to anything offensive. I would not recommend this for any child under 7 and even at that age I would still mute the bad words and fast forward through the mobster movie scenes, the disrespectful family at the beginning, and hope my kid wouldn't get any ideas for setting dangerous traps in my house. As an adult, I love this movie and still find it amusing and highly quotable, but not for young audiences.

Privacy & safety
Parent Written byMatt B. October 25, 2015

Good movie for families

A family movie.

Positive messages
Parent of a 12, 18+, 18+, and 18+ year old Written byhenrysessions December 9, 2008

Caution for kids under 12

I watched this a few years ago with my daughters when they were about 14 and 16 and we loved it. Rented it recently for my 10-year old son and was really shocked at how rough and disrespectful the family members are to each other in the first few minutes. We bailed out early. This is a classic, fun, inventive movie but with some really snarky, harsh dialogue. Not to mention the cartoonish violence. I'd say 12+ on this one.
Educator Written bymaddox121 August 7, 2015

im dead

Language- it has dam-s and he-ls and b--chs Violence-Kevin is home alone Drugs-cigar Sex-none

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byKCollard January 8, 2014

Language but a great movie

some language and tiny bit of violence overall it is a great movie

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bybitsinator January 12, 2010

Learned this the hard way - NOT appropriate for younger kids

I remembered loving this movie when it came out. Turns out my 4-yr-old loves it too -- but not for good reasons. Lots of VERY rude language/attitude from all characters (including main character) in the beginning, before Kevin gets left "home alone." I finally had to erase it from our DVR when too much of the rude language was being "tested" in our house and at daycare. I was also very uncomfortable with the use of the gangster movie, in which a mafioso very explicitly shoots and kills another man with a Tommy gun -- lots of aggression, bad language, and BULLETS. If I could have edited out the use of the gangster movie and all the bad language in the beginning it would have been fine. The "wet bandits" ended up being the least of our problems and his favorite part. (Although he has started asking at bedtime whether any robbers are coming to our house.) I'll save it for when he's 7.

Positive messages