Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Hope Springs

Marital dramedy is well acted but won't interest teens.

Parent of a 8, 10, and 12 year old Written bylisaa March 21, 2013

Definitely not for kids!

This is absolutely not for kids! It made me and my husband uncomfortable with all the sex talk even though it was within the bonds of marriage in the movie, it was not something I wanted to watch or listen to on a big screen.
Parent Written byDogs1995 August 15, 2012

Good dramedy

It's funny and sad

Parent of a 11, 12, and 15 year old Written bycookfan August 17, 2012

A Very Special Movie, but NOT FOR KIDS

This movie was absolutely wonderful and was beautifully acted on the part of Streep, Jones, and Carrell, but is NOT FOR KIDS. Discussion of sexual matters within the couple's marriage are central to the theme of the movie, and are taking place in nearly every scene throughout the movie. As other reviewers have stated, it likely would not even interest anyone under the age of 16, and even then, I think only a more mature person would fully appreciate the depth of the content as well as some of the humor. I loved this movie, but believe it really deserves an R rating due to the theme.

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byDowntownMom August 25, 2012

Awkard old sex

A lot of the discussion and action about sexual intimacy has to do with the woman's lack of interest in oral sex. I do not think that this is appropriate for younger teens.

Adult Written byjpalin May 28, 2014

BE CAREFUL!

As a parent, I was mortified that this was rated PG13. I don't want to give explicit details that a child may read. Let's just say, that this should be rated "R". There were SEVERAL scenes that were VERY adult in nature, although no nudity was involved.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byshoeshopyoga August 12, 2012

Not sure about the 15 year old approval rating

I really liked this movie; however, I am surprised at the thumbs-up for 15 year olds. The subject matter and complex issues that surround marriage are explored fairly deeply in the film. The trailers provide the comic moments and based on what I had seen in the promos and trailers I was surprised by how deep and gut-wrenching some of the scenes were. I am not certain a younger teen would have any reference point for the complex nature of adult relationships. More appropriate for adults, I think, at least 17 or 18+.

Adult Written bywatchfuleyemom August 24, 2012

NOT for kids or singles.

I enjoyed the film but think Common Sense Media is way off target with a 15+ age recommendation. This movie is not for teens and because of the nature of the state of the marriage, young couples will not enjoy it. Sorry, but this one is for married folk with 20+ under their belts.

Adult Written byMusic/Movies July 24, 2013

Too much sex for even some teens

Sex: *A woman and a man have oral sex in a movie theater. You can see the woman get onto her knees and undo his pants, but you cannot see his privet parts. You can see a side glimpse of her face moving back and forth and her husband's face is all happy and smiling. *A man tells a woman to be easy with the teeth when she is giving him oral sex and the woman gets embarrassed and thinks she is bad at it. *A man and a woman fall back on to the floor to have sex. They remove some clothes and kiss, but you do not see any breasts, chests of privet parts. They have sex once and then stop because the woman feels sad. **A man and a woman kiss in a bed for a long period of time. The move on top of each other and then the camera cuts off when the start of have sex. *A man lifts a woman up on to a counter and kissed her when she is in the middle of doing the dishes. *A man tells his wife that she wants her to give him oral sex under his desk at work *A man tells his wife that he wants to have a threesome with their neighbor. *A man asks a married couple if they like to use sex toys *A man asks a married couple what positions they like to have sex in. *A man talks about the time he and his wife had sex on the kitchen floor. *A man and a woman briefly kiss before the man goes to work. *A man asks a woman if she liked to give or receive oral sex. *A man asks a married couple if they had any sex dreams. *A woman tells her husband that she thinks that he only likes to have sex with her. *A woman caresses her husbands legs and then she caresses right around his pen*s while he is clothes, but he insists that she stop. *A woman touches herself and you can hear her moaning. *A man asks a woman if she masturbates and she says "not anymore". *A woman reads a book on sex tips and practices oral sex on a banana. ----- No violence ----- Language: godda*n, pr*ck.... nothing over the top but there are a few uses of God's name that aren't very appropriate --- Drinking: *There is some drinking in bars and restaurants, but all responsible drinking.

Adult Written bythebaileyh August 22, 2015

GREAT MOVIE, but adults only.

One of the most beautiful, realistic movies I have ever seen. But kids, including teens, should probably not watch this. Not only does it have mature topics that they might not yet understand such as a broken boring marriage, but the sex is very over the top. I am shocked that this wasn't rated R. There is an oral sex scene, and although the man's junk cannot be seen, you can hear moaning, grunting, and see the woman's head move back and forth. Also he talks sexually to her during this scene such as "easy with the teeth". It's rather long, and it would just be awkward to watch with your kids, even teenagers. There are two other sex scenes. One is simple and in the dark with kissing, but that is a cleaner sex scene. The other one is in a hotel room and the entire scene lasts a LONG TIME. There is undressing, seduction, music, strawberries and everything a movie needs to make a sex scene sexier. There is moaning and some sexual talk during this scene too. The man gets on top of the woman, and eventually they stop because the woman gets embarrassed. Just when you think that this is just as much sex as one movie can hold... WRONG. A woman masturbates in her bed and moans. Once again the scene is rather long, and then it is referenced to later on. A couple talks about their sex life in several scenes in graphic detail including masturbation, oral sex, sex toys, positions, fantasies, threesomes, pregnancy, attraction, and probably several other things I'm forgetting. Also, there is a long scene where a woman caresses her husband because it is an exercise assigned by their counselor, It is a very awkward scene and the husband moans as the woman massages his legs and around his penis. All in all, WAY TOO MUCH SEX!!! Finally, the only other thing that is bad about this movie may be language. No F words, but just some mild stuff that you would hear in other PG13 movies. Again, sex is just over the top and it's what you have to watch out for. But see this movie without your kids, because it actually is beautifully filmed.

Parent Written bynyquistlimit August 13, 2012

Postitive Message, but not what I want to watch in a room full of people

I admire the positive message of sticking together in this movie, but the very frank sexual discussions, alluded to masturbation on screen of Meryl Streep, and the open discussion of sexual fantasies was 1) not appropriate for a 13 year old [borderline too mature for this 45 year old in public] , 2) not what I was expecting, [given the cast I was hoping for something a bit more light-hearted] and 3) probably of little interest to kids and teens anyway, thank heavens. =)

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byItsRegina August 25, 2012

PG-13 Rating seriously misleading!

Based on the commercials my 13 year old daughter was very interested in seeing this movie. I agreed it looked very funny, but I didn't think it would be appropriate for her. My girlfriends and I went to this together and we enjoyed it immensely! Based on the content and subject matter, I have to say, I would not want my 13 or 15 year old daughter to see this movie, nor do I think they would enjoy it. I am not going to go into details, as I am sure some younger children read these reviews, I will just say that it is about an older couple, the distance between them and how they try desperately to rekindle their relationship. The topic matter and the descriptiveness of their therapy sessions make this entirely inappropriate for the PG-13 rating.