Parent reviews for Hotel for Dogs

Young pet lovers will get a kick out of dog comedy.

Adult Written byTacolover83 February 11, 2021

Whole hearted film!

The movie itself is very good, and is a huge part of my childhood! I feel like it's appropriate for children of all ages, as it gives you a lot of laughs with it's humor and jokes! The ending is wholesome, as it teaches viewers to never give up hope, and to leave no one behind.

Adult Written bydvdgirl July 6, 2020

It’s alright

I find Emma Roberts cute in this movie I have this movie it’s alright.

Adult Written byHotelfor D. February 10, 2018

Hotel for dogs !! A true classic

The best movie. So kooky. Love dis.my favvve movie . I love full stops......mmmmm. loved the romance between the dogs. The foster parents were my favourite characters so kind and loving.ba great movie for all ages but perhaps a little scary for young children (and a few adults me and my husband were a little scared) a must watch for all movie loverd

Adult Written bydranaqueen September 23, 2017

cute movie.

for anyone who loves dogs even cats and Emma was so cute in this.

Adult Written bymimijunebug December 17, 2013

In My Top Ten!

I love this movie! Great for all ages!

Parent of a 2, 5, and 8-year-old Written bySnowBlanco October 1, 2010

Great family movie, 5 1/2 and up

I am very conscientious about what my kids watch. Although there were some bad examples of appropriate behavior, in context and when explained, my kids understood that sometimes there are "good" (or seemed good) reasons for this behavior. Example...the kids sell a rock in cell phone box to a pawn shop. They do this because their foster parents feed them terrible food and they're hungry, and to feed their dog, who they are hiding at the foster parents place, and they are there because their parents died. The kids are GOOD kids in a tough spot. It brought up conversation about foster parents and adoption. My kids loved the animals and their antics. It was a family movie that we all enjoyed. There wasn't inappropriate humor geared at parents...It was a cute and fun movie that didn't cross any lines anywhere.
Parent of a 7 and 9-year-old Written bytande April 30, 2010

Cute movie but discuss crime/police elements with your kids.

Cute factor with the dogs and various inventions is great for kids. However... the kids (main characters) are constantly getting into trouble with police, are involved in some kind of scam and there is some stealing and plenty of lying. Somehow this is done without the fast paced tension that is in a lot of kids movies, but there's a bit of a message that crime is OK if you have a reason so definitely discuss this with your kids.
Parent of a 17-year-old Written byKakarot August 26, 2009

Good for Everyone

The movie is good because it really gives a good message of how sibblings take care of each other. Though quite slow but maintains its flow throught.

Parent of a 9 and 12-year-old Written byHighPlainsMom August 11, 2009

Pretty Predictable Kids/Animals Flick

While there isn't anything particularly troubling about this film I didn't find it very engaging and it seemed to drag on a bit. (How many dog-related inventions can really be entertaining?) The children are living in/running from an unsavory foster home after losing their parents. There is also a scene right at the beginning in which the kids are running a scam/stealing and running from the authorities. Entertaining for the kids but just tolerable for even the most animal-loving adults.
Parent of a 5 and 8-year-old Written byamyriggsby July 21, 2009
Me and the kids were very excited to see Hotel for Dogs and we loved seeing all the different breeds of dogs but the kids got bored out a little towards the end.
Parent of a 9-year-old Written byjorgmm June 9, 2009
Parent of a 6-year-old Written byrsbrandt May 18, 2009

Read these reviews and make your call

I will defer to the opinions of those who feel children from troubled backgrounds would find this disturbing. But my daughter and I found it charming (my word) and funny (hers). She was not bothered by the kids' ambiguous life situation and loved their creativity and commitment. I enjoyed being reminded of the Disney movies of my childhood. I did have to answer questions about why the police "don't understand" that they are trying to help. All in all, we enjoyed it!
Adult Written bytennisguy1847 May 1, 2009

great!

i loved it except that there were two parts that were sad. one was when they got seperated by foster care. and when the dog appears to be put asleep. that killed me
Parent of a 7, 10, and 12-year-old Written byjfaughnan April 26, 2009

Tricky for children with some backgrounds

This is another of those treacherous adoption/foster care films. Probably fine for kids with dual birth parents, no abandonment fears, etc. Very tricky for children who've lost a parent, been adopted, been in foster care, etc.

For some such children it might be a way to explore complex issues, for some it might have them sleeping in their parent's bed for the next six months.

Adoptive and foster care parents and caregivers -- be careful. You may want to wait for the DVD version and then watch it BEFORE the kids.
Parent of a 6 and 8-year-old Written byalvarezem April 17, 2009

My Girls Liked this movie better than HS Musical

Cute movie. My daughters, 8 and 6, liked it much more than High School Musical. Good lessons about helping others but the fact the kids run away, take shelter in an unsafe, abandoned and condemned hotel, and do illegal things caused me to have to "talk" to my kids afterwards about the difference between doing the right and wrong things and WHY. Overall, even with the questionable content, I still recommend the movie with adult supervision.
Adult Written byscandalous09 April 2, 2009

great movie

good movie, nice message and dogs are adorable, saw with 13 yo, 5 yo and parents and we all enjoyed it =] the kids lie and steal but they learn their lesson and whatnot.
Adult Written byMattyface March 27, 2009
I work at my local theater, so I went to see this movie just because I could for free, and it was the last choice besides The Last House on the Left... and honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It doesn't really push the limits of the PG rating besides a boy kicking a man in the crotch, some cleavage-exposing tops, and discussion of poop and pee (but what do you think is going to happen when you leave dogs alone?). Still, I recommend you make this movie a DVD rental, unless you are devoted to one of the actors/actresses, you really love dog movies, or are an animal rights activist.
Parent of a 7-year-old Written byrachel4missions March 13, 2009

okay.

took a troubled eight-year-old... she adored it, I thought it was okay. She seemed really tense for a lot of the movie and started crying at one point, but when it was over she declared it was the best movie ever. The Westie (main dog) Friday was definitely both of our favorite part of the movie.
Parent of a 4 and 6-year-old Written byKateHRN February 28, 2009

Not at all like the book!

My kids and I just finished reading the book together, so this movie was a HUGE disappointment. The only similarity were the names used. After the movie I asked my 6 yr old if he liked it. He said "The book was Waaaay better!"
Parent of a 3-year-old Written byyellie February 26, 2009

Not for every child

I work as an advocate for children who are coming from homes of Domestic Violence and I often take children to the movies when there is no school. After viewing the trailer the children decided it would be a fun movie to see (ages 8 & 12). I took them thinking it would be a silly pointless movie, only to find it was full of things that are all to real in my line of work. The children I had taken to the movies were recently removed from their mother and placed with grandparents, but have easily been those kids on the screen. I think the movie would have been great for "normal" happy children, but I wish somewhere in the previews I would have known the plot....now I know to check this site!