Parent reviews for Hotel Rwanda

Hotel Rwanda Poster Image

Inspirational - it deals with a difficult reality with style and class.

This film addresses a difficult issue - ethnic cleansing/genocide - but does it in a way that shows the power of standing up for principle, and the dignity of human beings. The heroism in this film is quiet and conscienscious, the type I hope my kids (students and those I coach) will aspire to - standing up and doing the right thing, with dignity and honor, in the face of bullying.

Entertaining, Educational, Exceptional!

My kids have seen much more violent movies and play video games that are much worse too. I'm not sure why common sense media says the age should be 15? That seems excessive. Any good parent who cares if their child sees what actually happens in the real world will want their child to view this movie. Of course you will want to sit down and talk with the horrors that happened before they see it.

Educational and amazing!

Yes, there is violence in this movie but that's the point. This movie depicts the Rwandan Genocide extremely well and is appropriate for any child at least 10 years old. I would make sure you talk with your children about the topic prior, during, and after viewing about the topic. Very powerful!

May be frightening for younger viewers!

I've owned this movie for years and never bothered watching it until recently. It was pretty good, but not great. It held my interest but didn't deliver 100%. Yes it was moving, and the characters were engaging but the entire time it is really just running, hiding and killing. Not something I would watch again. Violence is extreme, even references to the slaughtering of children, beatings, machetes and shootings throughout. Sexual stuff is mild, some kissing scenes and a man & woman shown flirting and entering a hotel room together. Language isn't bad. There is lots of drinking/alcohol and some cigars. Seems alright for mature 14+ teens. Some very good messages about doing all you can for your people, caring for others and taking care of your family when times are tough.

Moving but Harsh...

Hotel Rwanda is a stark and moving portrait of the 1994 Rwandan genocide. It is an excellently made movie, but can be rough for even adults to watch at some points. That said, the positive messages of hope, sacrifice, and love make it a must-see movie for teens and their parents. Violence consists of almost constant brutal, but not extremely graphic, massacres of innocents, plus verbal descriptions of the murders of children. Language is compromised of one f word, plus several milder profanities. There is no actual sex, but we briefly see several nude Tutsi women who are being held as sex objects for Hutu men. There Is lots of drinking and use of bribery with beer.

good movie

Important, but an emotional journey

This is an incredibly emotional movie.

not rated for age

I Loved It!

This movie show how deep the human heart is when it comes to helping others and walking in Love, no matter what the cost.
not rated for age

U HAVE TO WATCH THIS AMAZING MOVIE!

Wow. This was one of the best movies ive seen. Amazing plot and Acting. The movie offers lots of different emotions. It talks about a genocide so its very violent and very sad but its awsome how this movie was entertaining as it was educational. Watch this movie, its a no brainer.