Parent reviews for Howard the Duck

Superhero spoof is awful -- and edgier than you remember.

Parent of a 1, 4, and 8-year-old Written byLutharPendragon May 2, 2018

Wrong Rating

This should have been PG13 at the VERY LEAST, honestly maybe even rated R. I understand that the nudity is just of ducks, but being that they are humanoid, and they took out the time to create nipples on the breasts, it seems very inappropriate for children. In addition to there being blatant alcoholism, cussing/profanity, there are two specific scenes that I didn't like my children seeing in the first 2 minutes. In one, Howard opens a Playboy centerfold and looks longly (the camera zooms and freezes) on a nude duck, large DD breasts, and nipples, yes covered with feathers, but nipples? Then within a few seconds, they show a female duck in a bath tub, large breasts, and larger brighter nipples. Lastly, there is a scene, though they don't show nudity, but where Howard the duck screws a human, sleeps with her, and they even talk about having sex. "Once you go duck...." I found it disgusting for my children to be watching and turned it off. -- edit, I posted this after only rewatching the first 10 minutes. 30 minutes in and he is at his new job, at a sex parlor. Side boob, actual sex going on in the hot tub, moaning and groaning, and if you pause it at just the wrong moment, full frontal of a woman running by. This has no place for children. Way too much sex.

Adult Written byalirguy June 29, 2019

Disgraceful movie adaptation of an amazing, if relatively unknown, Marvel franchise.

First of all, this movie is not for kids. At all. This film contains two lingering shots of graphic nudity, violence, creatures that may be too scary for your little ones, drug and alcohol use, and pretty darn strong language for this supposedly PG-rated movie.I do understand that this movie was released at a time when the MPAA, or Motion Picture Association of America, was more lax with their rating system, but the least that could have been done was for a PSA to be put out during the movie’s release, or for a rerating to have occurred after the PG-13 rating was officially put in place to fill the gap between PG and R. Seeing this film for the first time with my 4-year-old cousin, I was shocked to find this type of content on not just a premium channel, but on the family version of HBO! I mean, the titular character, in the first few minutes of the film, is seen to be holding a Playduck magazine to the middle and pleasuring himself! Additionally, the plot is inconsistent, characters too one-sided, and nobody had the idea to remain faithful to the original comic. Due to the content and plot in this film, I don’t think this is a great choice for family movie night, or for any night at all.

Written byAnonymous November 22, 2018

The butt review

Now that I see it again I now see it it a bit edgier than I remember. There is little action. Drinking,sexual things, and cussing. The movie might look like a little Mickey Mouse movie with the duck, you parents should watch it again cause this movie is probably more for teens.
Adult Written byAcidsuprema March 8, 2021

Good movie! Don't listen to stupid people complain that.

Must be 18+ or with parent's permission. Not violence much. It is all part of play. Mostly that all about romanace play and love.
Adult Written byUgzilla December 12, 2019

Raunchy, ridiculous, not for kids

Of course my 12 year old wants to watch this with all the recent excitement about Marvel, but after watching this again, I wouldn't let my kids watch it until about 15 or 16 years old.
Topless female duck early in the movie - I wouldn't care, except they linger on the shot for a rather long time, and they took the time to make the image rather humanoid and accurate. Not for kids.
There's a "Playduck" magazine early in the show as well, nothing as bad as the toplessness I just mentioned, but also not for kids; at least not for mine.
There's an entire scene (several minutes) with partially clothed couples in private saunas doing things that make them moan suggestively... not for kids.
Throughout the movie, there is attempted sexual assault, lots of sexual situations, a condom is shown from Howard's wallet, and a girl in lingerie attempts to get Howard to use it at another point.

So, I agree that this movie is so bad it is mildly entertaining, but definitely for more mature high school kids and older; not for kids under 16 or so, I believe.

To be fair, I am very conservative in what I allow my children to see. Hope this review helps somebody decide.

Adult Written byJosh Turner October 16, 2019

How is this so bad?

Why does everyone hate this, its a liile old, but it is no as bad as everyone thinks. The content isn't thatr bad either, treh only thing is that Howard sleeps with a women.
Adult Written bybill julian May 16, 2019

YOU NEED TO BE 66 JUST TO RENT THE MOVIE

I am an ornithologist, I study birds at Cornell University. This is one of the world’s greatest universities in the field of bird research. I've been studying in particular Ducks for 20 years and I will be the first to tell you when I turned on the TV and accidentally started watching Howard the Duck in the first 5 seconds of the movie I felt something unnatural happen to my bowels. Howard the Duck absolutely sucks.

The movie disrespects ducks as it makes it look like ducks want to mate with human beings, which is illegal by the way. My best friend is named Jerry the duck. Jerry has always been my best friend and has always been there for me and when he started watching the movie Jerry was so offended he fainted and 10 minutes later he died in my arms. This movie ruined my life and killed my best friend. Whenever someone talks about this movie I tell them my story and when they hear it they think I’m lying until they watch the movie. I give this movie 1 star (I would give it 0 if I could). You should be 66 even to rent this horrid movie.

Adult Written byMarvelPugs December 27, 2018

Adult Written byHolly R. July 15, 2018

So bad that it's the best!

This movie is terrible but it's so inappropriately akward that it is actually really funny. It's not for kids but if you are highschool aged through age 40ish it's so funny because of how stupid it is. If you had a bad day and need something mindless enough to take away the gloom, put this on a get a bag of popcorn and just laugh at how stupid it is.

Adult Written bybobbyn1 June 25, 2018

Really funny

It has some rude moments but most of it is fine it has lots of smoking references though I would say pg but I liked it when i was 7

Parent of a 10, 12, and 16-year-old Written byHendo H. U January 22, 2018

Maybe a 4-star

Adult Written byNemo R. October 29, 2017

Horrible

It is a bad movie and despite its pg rating this movie is not for kids
Parent of a 10, 11, and 12-year-old Written byMichael R. May 2, 2016

Disappointing

I set out to write this review as I found the other reviews on Common Sense Media lacking. I pulled this movie out of my collection because I have never seen it. My oldest child will be 13 this year and we are excited to introduce some of the PG & PG-13 movies that we had restricted until our children were more mature, and Howard the Duck is one of them.

Five minutes into the movie I determined it isn't right for my children. The naked duck referenced in CSM's review is in a bathtub, it has a humanoid form and sports human nipples which are clearly visible. Before that we see the duck alternative of Playboy as Howard is looking through it, eventually unfolding the centerfold model.

Later in the movie the female main character finds an unwrapped condom in Howard's wallet while he is sleeping. I don't know if CSM messed up their review or if they were referencing a previous version of this movie, but at no point does a condom come into play during pseudo-sex scene. Howard and the girl do not have sex, but there is a 2-3 minute scene featuring the two in bed. The girl is wearing lingerie and Howard makes an attempt to have sex with her. The girl responds positively, it eventually turns out that she was joking with him and nothing happens but this is still a problematic concept.

The "sex spa" comes off as more of a brothel and there are shots of women either completely naked or wearing "barely there" robes that JUST cover nipples. Overall I didn't think the movie was very good, it did pick-up in the second half when it reached its full cheesy glory.

I usually allow some sexual content to slide if the story contained is high quality or very culturally relevant, and, sadly, this movie is far from either of those. The bottom line rating for my family is 16+ on this one.

Adult Written byfonzieg April 4, 2015

Cheesy, but not awful! It's some of the best the 80's can offer!

It does have cheesy special effects, but that does not mean it's a bad movie! It has an awesome villain, and the dialogue is absolutely hilarious! Give the movie a chance, you'll have a great time!
Adult Written byswizz September 9, 2011

Caution on this one.

There was drinking, smoking, cussing, and sexual things also. It IS "edgier than I remember"!!

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byGoodSSJ June 18, 2011

This Should Have Been Rated PG-13

This Movie Has PG-13 Stuff In It!This Movie Is Ok

Adult Written bymerry2001 June 3, 2011

the duck is just not for kids

this movie is rate G, but the first five minutes you can see the duck drinking, and watching some kind of magazine THEN he masturbate...so that is all for the first minutes. this is not appropiate for kids this should be rate R. really bad where is the zero star..

Parent of a 4-year-old Written byAidens_Mommy December 21, 2010

I recommend this movie to no one.

I remembered this movie from my childhood when I saw it on tv recently and I couldn't believe my parents allowed me to watch this. Not even just a tv edited version, but we had the vhs. There is nothing about this movie that would make me recommend it. It has bad language, the female lead falls for the duck and almost has sex with him, there is a lot of violence. IDK, I can't imagine anyone wanting to see this movie.

Adult Written bynduns April 7, 2010

I'd give this a 1...

Except that this movie was actually supposed to be bad, so it's almost passable in that sense. The only issue I had with this film was that while it certainly did its job... it was boring, and I mean really, really boring.