All parent member reviews for I Am Legend

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion June 13, 2009

A Stellar Thriller With a Thoughtful Side...

I AM LEGEND could have been a bad movie. The people making it could have messed up in many ways. However, they turn the flaws of the story into advantages. Its biggest asset is Will Smith's powerhouse performance. The script is very well-written also. The people making this movie took a big risk. Instead of making it an all-out action thriller with mindless, constant violence, they took the story line and made it, primarily, a tragedy about one man left alone in the world (with some great action pieces on the side). Parents need to know that this movie is very intense. Even when the action lets up, the emotion doesn't, and several scenes are emotionally draining, whether by fright or sadness. I don't like to include SPOILERS! in my reviews, but for the sake of a well-informed review, I will now. SPOILER! About 50 minutes into the movie, Neville's dog, Sam, becomes infected with the virus. He must strangle her before she becomes a zombie like the rest, and, since the dog is his only companion through the movie, this scene will be too overpowering for kids under 12 at least. END OF SPOILERS. In addition to that emotional scene, there are several others detailing the death of Neville's wife and daughter (helicopter crash). There's no more violence in the movie than there is in, say, a SPIDER-MAN film, but many scenes featuring the zombies will be frightening for kids. The film has a constant feel of desperation and despair, and while I wouldn't call it disturbing, it makes the film NOT for kids.
Parent Written byPlague January 11, 2010

A great movie thats not too scary. I wouldn't recommend it for any little ones, but ok for kids 11+.
Adult Written byRSS April 21, 2012

True Responsibility

I am legend is a thrilling movie about the accidental evolution of man. The cure for cancer has transformed people into super strong, wall climbing, flesh eating beast. But these super-humans are more than what they seem; they have pets, are part of a hierarchy and care for one another. Perhaps the only things that separates us from them, besides the obvious, is the control of anger. "they are always biting" states Anna as her description of them to Robert Neville. Perhaps this movie was meant for the viewer to appreciate what separates us from all other creatures on earth. I am legand is heart breaking as the Roberts dog and child are very cleverly linked to one another; making their death so much more painful to endure. This movie is thrilling, heartbreaking and even humorous at times. Although the ending may not satisfy many, in life death is a guaranteed ending to all. Robert had completed his mission, stayed at ground 0 and found a cure. Now he can rest in peace with his family.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 26, 2015

I am legend Review..

The Film itself was quite an interesting one.. The Film at times will get pretty scary.. Otherwise, A great film For ages 14 and up.. On the other hand, I wouldn’t recommend this film to younger children.. Too Scary..
Adult Written bywonder dove May 17, 2013

I wanted scarier!!

I found the movie alright, but was expecting more thrills. The first 30 minutes, literally, has no action and very little talk. I knew then that this movie wasn't going to be very exciting. After 30 minutes we see some action but not much, a little bit of scariness but ends quickly. Then we're back to no action and very little talk. The last 15 minutes were great, if only they could have put that effort into more of the movie I would've been very happy! There's also one scene of a tragedy involving a dog that brought me to tears. Will Smith is superb, but the story just wasn't. Violence includes guns, experiments on animals and creatures, creatures that attack, a few frightening chase scenes, a man reveals his gun to a mom and her son, some explosions but very brief and minimal. No sexual content. Language is fairly mild and not a problem. I'd say give it a try! It is not bad, just not as thrilling and scary as I was hoping. Clean content and perfect for 12+ range!
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byTheRightGuy101 August 31, 2011

Throughout the movie I was having mixed feelings...

This movie was more of a thriller than an action. It is the kind of movie when you're always on the edge of your seat wondering what is going to happen next. The zombies aren't too scary and the violence was not too bad. Just a depressing story. It was really realistic in some ways because in some zombie movies the survivors are almost jumping off walls and having really, really good "luck" and "Strength". In this movie the living are not farfetched and fight like we do now. Overall a worth-seeing movie with a mixture of; Thriller, Action, Drama. Fine for 13 and up! 4/5
Parent Written byTHE MOVIE BUF!!!!! July 13, 2011

Sort of good

not really that bad personally i did not like it
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bydeirdreheck December 28, 2009

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byPapa_Reviews August 11, 2009

Action and Sci-fi suspense for parents but think twice, maybe three times, before allowing children to watch

Parents: If you like action and sci-fi suspense this movie is for you but think twice before you let children under 13 watch this movie. Some scenes will be too scary for younger viewers.
Adult Written byjesus3boy April 24, 2009

my favorite movie. not much language, no sex, any violence is necessary for the plot and there is just enough. scary too :-)
Adult Written byGamePlayer12 March 24, 2009

not scary really... only part that gave me the creeps is when he went searching for his dog in a dark building
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bydsloanak March 7, 2009

It was a good movie.

I really like this movie. There was like one or two scary moments but they didn't last long. Will smith is a great actor and all of his movies are worth watching. NO KIDS THOUGH.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bylarrbonn January 23, 2009

Boring

Watch Charelton Heston Omega Man for original. From what I remember and my kids were watching, there was nothing they hadn't seen before.
Adult Written byChewbacca January 13, 2009

Left early.

We left the movie after only 15 minutes into it. DEPRESSING movie. Not like a good Will Smith movie at all. DO NOT GO TO THIS MOVIE.
Adult Written byjlg1120 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bySmartMom April 9, 2008

Interesting concept but for ADULTS

The scary images and violence portrayed by both the "bad guys" and the "good guy" push this one into a R rating for me. Also, if you rate it PG13 than parents of "mature" 10 year olds will let them watch it. Always be more careful with your children.
Adult Written bybaby159374682 April 9, 2008

it's okay

it is fine buti don't think itis good for kids under 10 and under
Adult Written byE-Rod April 9, 2008

Adult Written byJubilation7 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bydfk1010 April 9, 2008

my son was so scared

i want to this movie thinking it would not be scare but it was VERY. THE MOSTERS WERE SO SCARE AND MY SON HAD TO LEAVE IT WAS SO SCARE I THINK NO KIDS UNDER THE AGE OF 15 SHOULD NOT SEE IT. I MEAN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!