Parent reviews for I Am Legend

Intense, thoughtful thriller has some big scares.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion June 13, 2009

A Stellar Thriller With a Thoughtful Side...

I AM LEGEND could have been a bad movie. The people making it could have messed up in many ways. However, they turn the flaws of the story into advantages. Its biggest asset is Will Smith's powerhouse performance. The script is very well-written also. The people making this movie took a big risk. Instead of making it an all-out action thriller with mindless, constant violence, they took the story line and made it, primarily, a tragedy about one man left alone in the world (with some great action pieces on the side). Parents need to know that this movie is very intense. Even when the action lets up, the emotion doesn't, and several scenes are emotionally draining, whether by fright or sadness. I don't like to include SPOILERS! in my reviews, but for the sake of a well-informed review, I will now. SPOILER! About 50 minutes into the movie, Neville's dog, Sam, becomes infected with the virus. He must strangle her before she becomes a zombie like the rest, and, since the dog is his only companion through the movie, this scene will be too overpowering for kids under 12 at least. END OF SPOILERS. In addition to that emotional scene, there are several others detailing the death of Neville's wife and daughter (helicopter crash). There's no more violence in the movie than there is in, say, a SPIDER-MAN film, but many scenes featuring the zombies will be frightening for kids. The film has a constant feel of desperation and despair, and while I wouldn't call it disturbing, it makes the film NOT for kids.

Adult Written bydfk1010 April 9, 2008

my son was so scared

i want to this movie thinking it would not be scare but it was VERY. THE MOSTERS WERE SO SCARE AND MY SON HAD TO LEAVE IT WAS SO SCARE I THINK NO KIDS UNDER THE AGE OF 15 SHOULD NOT SEE IT. I MEAN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written byPlague January 11, 2010
A great movie thats not too scary. I wouldn't recommend it for any little ones, but ok for kids 11+.

Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 26, 2015

I am legend Review..

The Film itself was quite an interesting one.. The Film at times will get pretty scary.. Otherwise, A great film For ages 14 and up.. On the other hand, I wouldn’t recommend this film to younger children.. Too Scary..

Adult Written byRSS April 21, 2012

True Responsibility

I am legend is a thrilling movie about the accidental evolution of man. The cure for cancer has transformed people into super strong, wall climbing, flesh eating beast. But these super-humans are more than what they seem; they have pets, are part of a hierarchy and care for one another. Perhaps the only things that separates us from them, besides the obvious, is the control of anger. "they are always biting" states Anna as her description of them to Robert Neville. Perhaps this movie was meant for the viewer to appreciate what separates us from all other creatures on earth. I am legand is heart breaking as the Roberts dog and child are very cleverly linked to one another; making their death so much more painful to endure. This movie is thrilling, heartbreaking and even humorous at times. Although the ending may not satisfy many, in life death is a guaranteed ending to all. Robert had completed his mission, stayed at ground 0 and found a cure. Now he can rest in peace with his family.

Adult Written byChewbacca January 13, 2009

Left early.

We left the movie after only 15 minutes into it. DEPRESSING movie. Not like a good Will Smith movie at all. DO NOT GO TO THIS MOVIE.
Adult Written bythediamondd March 13, 2015

I was soooo young

I watched this when I was 4 it is easy to understand what's going on. Zombies look fake. WTF.

Adult Written bywonder dove May 17, 2013

I wanted scarier!!

I found the movie alright, but was expecting more thrills. The first 30 minutes, literally, has no action and very little talk. I knew then that this movie wasn't going to be very exciting. After 30 minutes we see some action but not much, a little bit of scariness but ends quickly. Then we're back to no action and very little talk. The last 15 minutes were great, if only they could have put that effort into more of the movie I would've been very happy! There's also one scene of a tragedy involving a dog that brought me to tears. Will Smith is superb, but the story just wasn't. Violence includes guns, experiments on animals and creatures, creatures that attack, a few frightening chase scenes, a man reveals his gun to a mom and her son, some explosions but very brief and minimal. No sexual content. Language is fairly mild and not a problem. I'd say give it a try! It is not bad, just not as thrilling and scary as I was hoping. Clean content and perfect for 12+ range!

Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byTheRightGuy101 August 31, 2011

Throughout the movie I was having mixed feelings...

This movie was more of a thriller than an action. It is the kind of movie when you're always on the edge of your seat wondering what is going to happen next. The zombies aren't too scary and the violence was not too bad. Just a depressing story. It was really realistic in some ways because in some zombie movies the survivors are almost jumping off walls and having really, really good "luck" and "Strength". In this movie the living are not farfetched and fight like we do now. Overall a worth-seeing movie with a mixture of; Thriller, Action, Drama. Fine for 13 and up! 4/5
Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byBasye April 9, 2008

Jumpy

I screamed several times, a lot of intense, violent scenes, good movie for a 14 year old and above. The end was really stupid though.
Adult Written byjesus3boy April 24, 2009
my favorite movie. not much language, no sex, any violence is necessary for the plot and there is just enough. scary too :-)
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U January 22, 2018

Adult Written byfaustinpeter April 9, 2008

Fasten your seatbelt!

Action packed from beginning to end. Had to cover my own eyes for some of the scary scenes. Excellent suspense! Really tough on the emotions
Adult Written bytrojanfan432 April 9, 2008

VERY entertaining movie, with a sub-par ending

The idea was great, the acting was great and the dog was great. Overall the movie was worth the time and money, but the ending was so abrupt and so unapealing. I still give it 5 stars because i was throughly entertained. A few big jump scences
Adult Written byRobbie G. September 28, 2017

Adult Written byCurapera February 13, 2016

Nothing inappropriate

Pretty scary for young viewers but if your child likes scary it's perfect.
Adult Written byTHE MOVIE BUF!!!!! July 13, 2011

Sort of good

not really that bad personally i did not like it

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bydeirdreheck December 28, 2009

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byPapa_Reviews August 11, 2009

Action and Sci-fi suspense for parents but think twice, maybe three times, before allowing children to watch

Parents: If you like action and sci-fi suspense this movie is for you but think twice before you let children under 13 watch this movie. Some scenes will be too scary for younger viewers.