All parent member reviews for Ice Age: Continental Drift

Ice Age 4 is perfect!

I like this movie!
Parent Written byBig chris December 13, 2012

question

i have a question was this movie meant to entertain kids because my siblings bored stiff and we had to leave the theater mid way feeling like i had waisted their time and mine and my money did anyone eles feel this way? i liked the movie but it just didnt hold their entrest so i think ts a pass on this one ps they loved the other ice age movies
Parent Written bywood12piper August 17, 2012

Questionable for little ones

Looking for something to do on vacation, I gave in and took my 4 1/2 yr old to see this movie. She seemed to enjoy it but had some questions about the earth movement scenes. Scared her a bit but she wasn't adversely affected that I can tell. There were some nice positive messages regarding friendship and family, and there was some humor in the movie. The story, though, was told in typical hollywood kid movie fashion; violence, screaming, and constant near death situations. They worked very hard to make the villan super evil. Even so, the most uncomfortable and dissapointing part of the movie was the numerous use of the word "kill," had to be at least 20 times in some variation. I'll never understand why this is acceptable. Are the writers these days just lazy and unimaginative?
Parent of a 10 year old Written byken_y July 19, 2012

Light entertainment.

Light entertainment. A bit violent, very silly. Cartoon geology may scare younger kids.
Parent Written byNZmamoose July 13, 2012

Positive message but SCARY!

I took my 5 1/2 yr old girl to it and we both enjoyed it. However I wish I'd waited another year or so (I think 7 yrs up would be best). I know she wouldn't have got the positive messages in the movie at her age and think this was the most scary Ice Age out of the lot. She's become scared of monsters since seeing it (the sirens bit was very scary for littlies as they wouldn't grasp what was happening and why their loved ones changed in to monstrous sharp toothed fish trying to eat them). My child is a sensitive soul though, some more sophisticated kids would be OK at 6 yrs. Be ready for younger kids picking up the "name calling" words/ phrases and repeating them with delight. Lots of funny bits for the adults.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byParentof1 January 18, 2015

constant insults

Although the movie has a positive message it's hard to see through all the insults, which I found to be way worse in this one than the previous ice age movie. If you let your child watch this movie I would suggest watching it with them so you can help point out the inappropriate comments that are made.
Parent Written bydavidrox January 25, 2013

cheesy but my kids liked it,

a good movie, with some laughs for little kids, mixed in with a little scariness. i thought it was a bit too cheezy at times, but my kid seth liked it, especially josh gad. anyway, no "sexy stuff" except brief flirting
Parent Written bylet kids be kids January 13, 2013

7 or 8 years is more like it...........

Extreme perilous scenes, if your kid gets nightmares OR if your kid cried in Brave, they will be frightened by many scenes in this one. Of course, it's a cute movie in many parts, it just tried to cover too many audiences.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 21, 2012

The third Ice Age was a pile of crap,but this REALLY made up for it!

Ice Age is an uneven movie franchise.Shrek on the other hand has FOUR good movies instead of three.This movie was HILARIOUS! I loved it!
Parent Written byShivom Oza August 25, 2012

Even The Script Drifts Apart - Shivom Oza

The mammoth Manny (voiced by Ray Romano), Sid the sloth (voiced by John Leguizamo) and Diego (voiced by Denis Leary), the smilodon or the saber-toothed cat, are back with the fourth film in the ‘Ice Age’ franchise. In a parallel storyline, you have Scrat (voiced by Chris Wedge), the saber-toothed squirrel, on the hunt for acorns. Scrat triggers the break-out of the Pangaea into the continents that we know of today’s time. Meanwhile, Manny and his wife Ellie (voiced by Queen Latifah) are dealing with their teenage daughter Peaches (voiced by Keke Palmer), who is smitten by Ethan (Aubrey Graham), a teenage woolly mammoth. Peaches, is upset with her father for being so restrictive when it comes to her and yearns for independence. Keeping Peaches’ company is the soft-spoken and the inimitably charming molehog, Louis (voiced by Josh Ged), who secretly has a crush on her. Sid has been left with his Granny (Wanda Sykes), who also gets abandoned by their family. Now amidst all this drama, the break-up of the continent starts having its repercussions as Manny gets separated from his family. Accompanied by Sid, Diego and Granny on a floating ice raft, Manny thinks of ways to reunite with his family. The route way back to his home kept getting tumultuous as the quad got captured by a pirate gang, led by Captain Gutt (voiced by Peter Dinklage), a Gigantopithecus. Manny rejects Gutt’s offer of joining the pirate gang and ends up infuriating him. Diego falls for the female pirate Shira (voiced by Jennifer Lopez), also a saber-toothed cat, who helps the quad escape for a brief period. Manny, Sid, Granny and Diego encounter sirens, shown as sharp-toothed creatures, which take the shape of loved ones, and attempt to entice the sailors. How the quad brave all odds (in the form of storms, a paralyzed Sid, another attack by Captain Gutt, attempted attack by Sirens) in order to get everything back to normal forms the crux of the story. The plot was myriad in the first-half. It is in the second-half of this 90-minute film that the story finally begins to develop. It takes too long, for the battle lines to be drawn; hence time gets spent in watching endless gags, tomfoolery and the occasional tussle on screen. There are a few endearing moments in the film such as the romantic track between Diego and Shira, Peaches trying to impress Ethan, Louis’ waging a fight against the mighty Captain Gutt to save his love Peaches. However, they are too few and far in between, and sadly the only uplifting moments in the film. The animation was stupendous. Blue Sky Studios deserve a pat on their back for the brilliant visual effects. However, the script leaves a lot to be desired. The animation is on par with recent films such as ‘Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted’ and ‘Brave’, but it is not as much about the visuals as it is about the entire film. The 3D is passable. The line-up consists of heavyweights such as Jennifer Lopez, Queen Latifah, Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, with two celebs of Indian origin as well, Aziz Ansari and Kunal Nayyar (of ‘The Big Bang Theory’ fame). Voiceovers were exceptional but they too, were let-down by some lazy dialogue writing. The soundtrack by John Powell was good with the final track of the film ‘We Are’ (written by Ester Dean) evoking much excitement from the audience. The writing (Michael Berg and Jason Fuchs) and the direction (Steve Martino and Mike Thurmeier) could have been a lot better. The franchise, which has been exceptional thus far, does disappoint this time around. There is nothing noteworthy about the story. It’s a 45-minute concept dragged to an hour and a half. Some of the sequences and gags playing out in the film are needless. However, it is essentially a children’s film and the kids will love it! Shivom Oza
Parent Written byDogs1995 August 15, 2012

Keeps the series going

Good message
Parent Written bycinemamallama August 11, 2012

Too much for young kids

Definitely not for young kids. Gut, the big bad guy, is really sadistic, bragging in detail about how he got his name, and constantly threatening to kill characters. There might not be that much physical violence, but there is a lot of violent language from him. They managed to create weapons for the characters and threw in a hostage situation or 2 with beloved characters in peril . The theme of Sid's family abandoning him can definitely be upsetting to younger kids. The stereotype of the senile old lady was a sorry cliche. Lots of name calling/insults, and a teenage storyline with an "uncool" friend getting dumped for the popular clique, though of course at the end everyone learns what friendship is about. Younger kids may not follow that full storyline too well, and fixate on why one friend was mean to the other. This was such a disappointment. I loved the first Ice Age and have watched them get worse and worse. We had our kid ask to leave, and had to explain the inevitable end of the story before we could go back in and watch to reassure that everyone ended up ok. We went for free and I still wanted my 2 hours back. If they make another, I won't bother.
Parent Written by14728 August 8, 2012

Ehhh

Not a good movie, but good for kids.
Parent Written byImSpidey2 July 26, 2012

AWESOME!!!

This is the best Ice Age film out of all of them! It's so underrated...This film is amazing, you should really watch it.
Parent of a 4, 5, 8, 11, and 13 year old Written byDanaHobbit July 26, 2012

Adult Written byslecorgne46 July 20, 2012

blaaa

This ice age was no where near my expectations of what i would think it would do. they did a bad job with charecters except for wanda sykes as grany other wize i give this move 2/5
Adult Written byJEDI micah July 19, 2012

HOLY CRAB!!!

This movie was actually pretty good! It is WAY better than the third Ice Age, which wasn't bad except the jokes in the third one were kinda bad. As a fourth movie, it was also better than the fourth Shrek movie! The Shrek series should've stopped at the third movie because the fourth one was terrible. Anyway, Ice Age 4 is a good movie for kids, despite some scenes that might frighten them(earthquakes, a giant crab, tidal waves, and losing family members), but I don't think it'll be a problem! There's also pirates in this movie! You can say that Ice Age 4 is a computer-animated family comedy disaster movie! It's like it has a bunch of genres!
Parent Written byteddybear88 July 18, 2012

Fit for all ages

I liked this movie a lot and i recommend this for all ages, but it was a bit predictable and the little ones might not understand the whole having a "crush" thing.
Parent Written byALM123 July 18, 2012

okay for some 4 year olds

I took my 4 year old daughter, and she enjoyed the movie. Some of the dialouge is a bit above a 4 year old's understanding, and some children might find the images of the sirens a bit disturbing, but no scarier than most Disney villians, which are often seen in G rated movies. The movie was not great for adults, but the children in the theater seemed to enjoy it.
Parent Written byBabyZouk July 14, 2012

Awesome Movie!

I saw this movie before it went into theaters! It was great!