All parent member reviews for In America

Adult Written byClairecsf May 29, 2011

In America good movie

This movie, I Think is a very good movie. But talk to your older children about it afterwards...I would not recommend it for young children.
Adult Written bylr April 9, 2008

Sweet, odd

The children were the high point of the film. I told my middle-school-aged daughters to hide their eyes during the sex scene. Otherwise, although the story was a combination of gritty and unreal, it was heart-warming.
Adult Written byjcarole April 9, 2008

Moving, Family Values

The themes in this movie are intense but really meaningful and speak to family values and what life is about. There were many times I thought something bad was going to happen and it just didn't - so watch knowing things are okay. Even the death scene is handled with love and respect. It is a wonderful movie for anyone with daughters, anyone who's had to live through a loss and who understand how love wills out over all things. Bring Kleenex.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Very moving film

I agree with one of the other reviewers - what you expect will not necessarily happen so keep watching. And get out the tissues! This movie deals with big themes - poverty, social isolation, illness, death - making it a very useful vehicle for discussing tough subjects with your teenager. There is a pretty intense sex scene that you may want to fast forward but overall, it's an excellent film. The fact that it's a true story makes it all the more powerful.