All parent member reviews for Independence Day

Parent Written bymrsmollyj March 16, 2011

Action hero type of movie. I think my kid can handle it.

I watched this movie and wondered if my 9 year old could see it. It's very human motivating. There are some obvious curse words but ones I think my 9 year old understands is "adult language". My true concern is that it's scary. Lots of people die but off screen like in an okay action movie. But it is human motivating. We beat the bad guys by uniting the world and joining together.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion May 30, 2009

Fun, But NOT for Kids...

INDEPENDENCE DAY is corny, unrealistic, and completely far-fetched. It's also fun and exciting, but not for kids. The film is very violent, and there are some disturbing sequences where whole cities are wiped out (one particular scene, where everyone fleeing a city is consumed by a fiery explosion is too intense for kids). In addition, ships are exploded, aliens and people are zapped with lasers and missles, and there's one frightening scene where a scary alien kills everyone in a lab, then takes possession of one man and makes him speak the alien's thoughts. Sex is iffy too, with some subtle innuendos, a man obsessed with sexual abuse by aliens, and a brief shot of a stripper theater (no nudity, but extremely scanty clothes). A boy tries to get his girlfriend to have sex with him by saying "this might be our last night on Earth. You don't want to die a virgin, do you?" Her brother snatches her away before anything happens. Language is some "a*s"s, several "SOB"s and "s**t"s, and numerous "d**n"s and "h*ll"s.
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byjrenee56 May 23, 2009

Global Swarming gives new meaning to July 4th

It took many heroes to save the world in this movie, and some of them were unlikely heroes that ranged from the President of the United States to a delusional alcoholic crop duster living in a trailer with his kids in New Mexico. There were several relationship sub-plots and twists in the movie including the father who thought his son was a cable TV repairman when he was really an MIT graduate working as a satellite technician for the cable company. The aliens (both living and preserved) did not look cheesy. The simulated disaster footage lacked realism by today's standards but still got its point across. This was a story on a global scale - an extrememly ambitious undertaking - but I think they pulled it off!
Adult Written bybdh July 3, 2011

fun campy movie

fun movie
Parent Written byerinw2 October 20, 2014
Adult Written byTracerBullet June 3, 2010

e.g. PeThe Quintessential moronic summer blockbuster, but don't try and be cool and admirfect for older kids, but not for tweens

And seriously is it really that bad? Here is an action film that makes you wait an hour before the action kicks in and spends that time setting up characters. This should be applauded, not ridiculed. And when the action does come, the effects look a little dated now, but it is still thrilling stuff. The 8 year old inside me thinks this film is great and I'm still willing to go along with his excitement. Content: Violence mostly - cities are levelled, protracted dogfights. Just below the original Star Wars Trilogy on my yardstick Some naughty words and sexual stuff as well
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

"We're all in this together boys!"

Pearl Harbor meets Men In Black. Bill Pullman's oh-so-earnest President is a bit much, but this is a great homage to those old WWII buddy movies, celebrating patriotism, brotherhood, and benign stereotypes: Jews are good with computers and wisecracks, blacks are kickass action heroes, women are stoically supportive, (but don't do much) and WASPs can deliver inspiring speeches in moments of crisis. USA!!
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bygmoots December 15, 2010

great movie, some swearing

Really good movie w/ too much swearing. Nothing too strong, but I'd like to get the TV-edited movie becasue you could get all the action w/o the swearing.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedklat June 7, 2015
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 25, 2012

WE'RE NOT ALONE AFTER ALL!!!

This is one of the best alien movies ever! For a movie that was made in the mid 90's, the special effects are truly impressive! But like other alien movies, there's plenty of violence and total destruction, and some other adult content. That's why I suggest this movie is ok for kids ages 13 and up. It's a great movie! I love it!
Parent Written byPlague January 8, 2010

Independance Day

A fabulous movie for the whole family. Has some intense action and peril, but nothing too bad. All in all, a grand alien flick.
Parent Written bypcandy June 26, 2016

Great sequel

Loved it. Loved the original. Will watch it over and over like I did the original in 1996. What is wrong with the complainers. They expect too much. It was just a fantasy. Jeff and Bill looked great
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 16, 2012

Nice.

This movie is fun to watch.Great music,nice artwork,and everything.I'd recommend Independence Day if you love alien movies.
Adult Written byKitsune87 December 20, 2009