Parent Written byewe2lambs November 7, 2010
We enjoyed this film - but then we haven't read the book - oops or maybe not, the writing on the faces of the actors and the burning of the books worried our 8 yo, but she still enjoyed it, 5yo sort of liked it but zoned out at the scarey bits and played with his playmobil!!
Adult Written byBeckstar November 20, 2012

Disappointing and far too scary in my opinion

I thought this one was far too violent and scary for children. Parts of it kind of reminded me of a horror film. I found it quite disturbing in parts. Would never watch again.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBeeshu July 2, 2011

Not for young kids

Adult Written byDanna Kryss January 23, 2011
You are the one who knows your child the best, so only you can make a proper decision if this movie would scare him or not. It was hard even for me to see burning books, for I have great love for them, but neither painted faces of some characters, nor evil creatures from fairy-tales, nor even violent actions of bandits frightened my 8 year old. The dark atmosphere of the story is much more noticeable and has much more influence. The idea of the story is really great although the realization could be better. But we still had pleasure when watching it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 14, 2010
basically exact PG-level movie.
Educator and Parent Written byJax_Mom September 29, 2009
Too violent for my five year old -- threats of violence and actual violence. When the bad guys ramsacked the aunt's house and burned her books it was too much for her.
Adult Written byChilliwack Mom July 24, 2009
Parent of a 2 year old Written byDiamond98 July 3, 2009

Books and movie don't match

This is a pretty good movie but it does not resemble the book. I like your comments lindaSLP
Parent of a 7, 11, and 13 year old Written byproverbs226mom July 3, 2009

good but not as good as I thought it would be

I thought the movie was good but not great.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMontanaCat June 24, 2009

Very average

We all thought this movie was just ok. Nothing special, we wouldn't have regretted not seeing it. Special effects were good, acting was corny.
Adult Written byLyndaSLP February 8, 2009

Great movie -- but not if you read the book first.

Inkheart truly is a great movie - entertaining for the whole family. The violence would be a bit much for younger children. If you've read the book, don't expect the movie to follow the book. As I've been telling friends, "The movie and the book have the same premise: a man can read objects/people out of books". Beyond that, not much is the same. Within the first 10 minutes, my 7-year old son (who read the book) leaned over to me and said, "That doesn't happen now... that happens later... why did they do that?" So, as a book lover, I was disappointed that the movie didn't really resemble the book.
Parent of a 18+, 18+, and 18+ year old Written bylorac February 7, 2009

good family movie

This has an interesting, clean, plot. It has no language, and no sexual references. It was captivating enough to hold these two 40 somethings attention through the entire movie. It did have some mildly scary scenes though out, and fairly intense scenes towards the end, and I would not recommend taking a smaller child if you think they would have a difficult time.
Adult Written byjoolz_43344 January 28, 2009

good movie

The story line was a lot better than I thought it would be. Message was great. Didn't think there was any sexuality or language. Highly recommend it for a family flick!
Adult Written byatgmom January 24, 2009

Fantasic Family Film

I thought Inkheart was a wonderful film, perfect for the whole family. My children are 8, 12 and 14 and each of them enjoyed this film immensely. It had the perfect blend of action and adventure, holding everyone's attention to the end. I definitely recommend this film to everyone looking for a good family film.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byMusicdaddy January 23, 2009

A Bit Intense for the Younger Crowd

Typically I prefer to preview a movie before my kids see it, but we were with another family who was really interested in seeing this film. Overall it was a very enjoyable adventure/fantasy movie, though conceptually, even for an adult, the storyline was tricky to follow. The acting was well-done and the special effects were outstanding, even if the film seemed to borrow greatly from Peter Jackson's work (including actor Andy Serkis who played Gollum). Despite being somewhat predictable, I found it to be an entertaining ride and the story reminded me greatly of "The Neverending Story," to a point. One word of caution for parents of younger kids, I was with two seven year olds and an eight year old. The younger ones hid their eyes from some of the scarier parts (per my suggestion) and the eight year old found some scenes to be very intense. Overall, I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10. just my opinion, of course. ;)
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written byjagness January 23, 2009

Fun film for families

The whole cast is brilliant. The visuals are glorious. The story is exceptional. I just wish the director could have brought all the pieces together a little better. All in all this is a wonderful piece of entertainment, so close to being truly great that it leaves you wanting to blame someone for not giving that last little bit of effort to make it perfect. That being said, you will NOT be disappointed with this delightful romp, stomp and romance through a mystical fantasy land.
Adult Written bygarfield2711 January 23, 2009

This was the best fantasy film I've ever seen!

Move aside Harry Potter. This film is awesomer. The Language Sex and Drugs are nothing to worry about. The only thing is the Fantasy Violence that will scare younger kids. Great job New Line Cinema, Brendan Fraser and Cornelia Funke!