All parent member reviews for Insidious

Parent of a 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 16, 2011

Perfect for tweens, teens(young and old), and adults!

I loved it. One of my 6th grade students saw it over break with her friends, and she told me how great it was. That inspired me to go see it and i am so glad I did. However the lanquage was not the best, but my rule for my kids is that it is okay if they hear a bad word as long as they know that it is not okay to use themselfs.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bythesavants08 April 7, 2011

Greatest horror film in years! Not for kids under 16!

I as an adult found this movie to be an amazing horror film. There is no way I would let my kids see it! There is some brief language, no alcohol, no violence, no drugs, no sexual content, and a good bit of parental arguing. However that's not the main issue with this movie. This movie goes deep into the supernatural realm. You see a boy put into a coma, a family being 'haunted', many sadistic spirits, and a psychic. BUT still the main issue is the demonic side of this movie. There is a very frightening demon after their child that would give anyone nightmares! Just not a good movie for any kids under 16.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byOld Timer May 1, 2011

What a horror movie should be. It reminds us that we are less afraid of whats in the closet than what MIGHT be in the closet.
Adult Written byerica921 May 24, 2015

Parent of a 9 year old Written byroaringmini July 17, 2011

OMG SCARRY!!

Cant get scarrier... This is more scarry than The exorcist
Adult Written bykhan2705 April 30, 2011

a chilling scary movie.

Josh and Renai have a happy family with their three young children. When tragedy strikes their young son, Josh and Renai begin to experience things that science cannot explain. well wow just awsome movie. i mean this movie for sure is going to give me some nightmares. i was so much scared while watching this movie i can't tell you guys. i was watching this movie alone with no one in the house. i literally was looking here and there time by time to actually conform no ghostly prescence in my house. how can i describe this movie, it for sure is one of the best horror movie i have seen lately. it is a very low budget movie but with pretty big scares. i always support those horror movies with actually low budgets and low on silly over done visual effects but with actuall heavy duty scares and this movie did offered that. it is not gorry at all but so nerve racking and breath stoping movie that i was so glad to have actually seen it. its far better than Paranormal activity 2 and somewhat 1. i hope they do in future make movies like this. story of this movie was slightly different from other horror movies which was good, screenplay is written very well, loved it. didn't saw any weak spots in writing of this movie. no dull or empty spots in the movie. edited very good. direction was very well done. this movie if wasn't excellent but it was very good. i had an awsome time watching this movie. the end of this movie is like every other horror movies, you know what i mean. the main idea or plot was very fresh and thrilling. the scary scenes in this movie starts from very begining and you kind of get into this movie from very first. the start could have been handeled slightly better than how it was. the basic idea was that it wasn't the house that was haunted, it was basically the family member, you see that child in the picture yes but there was another family memeber that was haunted from his childhood but not gonna spoil it for you. so what i mean is that this whole concept is same as that of in Paranormal activity movies. the movie has this so spooky and scary atmospheric feeling to it that it feels like you are seeing a bad scary nightmare, and i loved it. the actors of this movie were good, it stars Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne, Lin Shaye, Barbara Hershey and others out of which Patrick was the weakest according to me. the scene where they do that exorcism kind of thing was so amazingly done that i was so shocked. it is very stylishly made with right amount of everything. background score adds much more to the already built suspence and tension. some shocking scenes. very creepy and chilling. this is a movie worth your every penny, you will enjoy it so much like i did. i thereby highly recommend it to you. loved it. brilliantly made movie. and i heared that this movie by far is the most profitable movie of this year earning much more than its so low budget, that explains everything.
Parent Written byDasGinatron November 6, 2011

Good movie, definitely horror.

Insidious is actually very good and quite scary! As someone who rarely gets scared during horror movies, this one had me shaking in my seat at times! Not for young viewers or those who scare easily, but older teens and adults are a go for a good fright!
Adult Written byPastelito28 July 14, 2011

Becareful

i really think this movie a kid should not watch it alone unless they are 15
Parent of a 3, 9, and 10 year old Written byNaruto uzumaki June 4, 2011

Darth Maul?

It is scary enough but I think The Exorcist is much scarier and ten times better!
Adult Written bychristian2011 September 21, 2013

Greatly executed and scripted paranormal horror film with disturbing themes and elements.

Insidious is another seriously scary paranormal horror flick by the vastly creative director James Wan - who scripted/directed films such as The Conjuring, Dead Silence, and Saw. It's about a young boy who is later confirmed to be a gifted "traveler", where he unfortunately becomes a vessel to various and distinctive spirits, the tortured souls of the dead in a dark realm called The Further, where some spirits are desperate to get out by possessing a living physical form, such as the child. One particular spirit is a malevolent and sinister demon who wants to possess him in order to cause serious harm to others. Insidious is rated PG-13 for mainly the terror element, and doesn't contain sex, drugs, or strong violence. For language, it does contain one use of f**k and a few uses of god***n. Insidious is a very good and scary classic horror flick, especially for those who like a good storyline with shocking twists and exceptional acting.
Parent Written bywrgtyp July 26, 2012

13? OK

i really cant believe they say this is iffy for 15 really and you gave child's play iffy for 12 that is a billion times more scary then this okay about the movie its basically a modern poltergeist but it is scarier there is only one violent scene which is not so bad and some bad language but i really don't care that much though i can see how this cloud scare someone this ghosts are pretty scary and the demon thingy might be terrifying to some and don't be fooled this is not any where as scary as saw yes I've never have seen it but my friend told me about it and that really scared me but i REALLY enjoyed this movie
Adult Written byTKLINE September 12, 2011

The scaraiest movie i have seen

If you like terror and horrible then insidious is your movie
Parent Written bysmartipants June 6, 2015

some scary moments mostly done by suggestion with litle

Parent of a 11 year old Written byJoe Sweet March 15, 2015

Insidious!

The Movie Insidious dosent Have Any Super Gory Parts Like SAW or Texas Chainsaw Massicre. The Only "Bloody' Part Is the Is A Bloody Hand Print On Some Bed Sheets. But There Still Isnt A Rating For Completely Scary! If Your Child Has Seen Horor Movies Before Keep This One In Your Mind Because Its A Great Horror Movie!
Parent Written byryans3 January 1, 2015

It is OK.

Not really too violent, no sex. Just random noises everywhere. I didn't think it was too scary, I wasen't really into it but it was definitely a good horror. I did hear a little swearing in one scene. But other than that it is fine.
Parent Written byJackHolmes507 October 29, 2013

A disappointing movie but offers mild scares for younger viewers

This film is a disappointing silly film about a Darth maul/ Monkey man on fire who tries to capture a child in its sleep. This film is not scary do not listen to other reviewers no offence but it is not scary. The first 30 minutes may make your child/teen turn it off but their is only one scary scene (which isnt even that scary) Although this film is not very good it is a good starter movie for the horror genre
Adult Written bywonder dove August 7, 2013

Hmm...

I found this movie to be kind of interesting. However, the scares weren't really there for me and the story seemed quite dull. It's basically about a family who moves into a new house and discover some odd sounds throughout and objects moving on their own. After their small son falls into a coma for apparently no reason at all, the mother starts to see things and eventually a medium checks out their place and learns that the house isn't actually haunted, their son is! Dad chooses to go into The Further to try and rescue their son and bring him out of a coma before it's too late. Can't believe they compared this to Poltergeist...which is an insult because it's 100 times better! 2 stars for the cast and good acting. Wouldn't watch this one again. Violence is not bad, a few scares and frightening situations and a jump scene or two. Music tries to make it more scary. Language has one f-word followed by a few common but tamer curse words. Sexual content has nothing. PG-13 rating is accurate. Okay for 13+.
Parent Written byzombiekiller123 October 10, 2012

Insidious

This movie has plenty of jump scenes and scary scenes, but it does not revolve around the normal blood and gore of most horror movies. It uses darkness and ghosts and demons to scare the lights out of it's viewers.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byBrentB June 8, 2012

Scary and cheesy

Pretty scary but not violent or gory - if your kid can handle the scares they'll get a kick out of this one. However, the acting is subpar and the netherworld looks like a bad White Zombie video. We actually had a good time making fun of it. If you like your scares laced with jump scenes and overwrought music, this is for you.
Adult Written byDieForDethklok May 16, 2012

Don't bother with it... unless you like a good laugh at a bad movie.

A run of the mill, boring, hammy acted, unintentionally funny, cliched movie with a story too silly to comprehend. Did I mention that it was boring?