All member reviews for Invictus

Inspiring tale about Mandela, rugby, and national pride.

Kid, 12 years old September 16, 2010

Encouraging Movie

I really liked this movie because, it showed how the players went into the poor neighborhood and taught the poor children of Africa how to play rugby. After people seeing the rugby team help the poor, and become connected with one another. That was the beginning of unity in Africa no matter whether they were white or African.
Adult Written bybconrad December 26, 2009

very inspiring, exceptional movie

Really inspiring movie, best understood by kids if you give them a little background information on South Africa before going. You couldn't ask for a better role model than Nelson Mandela in this movie. What a wise and inspiring person.
Adult Written bydillthecat January 7, 2010

Leadership, compassion, forgiveness... and testosterone-laden rugby

This is an uplifting movie and an inspiring performance by Morgan Freeman. It shows a narrow slice of history, but its message of compassion and forgiveness is very powerful. The rugby scenes were a little too testosterone-driven for my taste, but I don't see how they could have been omitted or done differently.
Adult Written byjustaperson July 10, 2010

CommonSense media isn't...

What the hell is wrong with you people?! No conventional violence?! What?! Within the first 60 seconds of the movie we are presented with close up video of man collapsed in the street with blood and brain fluid gushing from his head. CommonSense Media, get some editorial control over Sandie Angulo Chen. She obviously doesn't actually watch the videos she reviews.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp March 12, 2011

Strong language, unnecessary.

Suggested MPAA Rating: PG-13 for some strong language. At least 2 f**ks, and other strong language such as p*s*y, sh**, b***h, g*dd*mn
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byzedada June 6, 2010

Incredible inspirational story

This is an extremely well-made movie based on a true story that is gripping, inspirational, as well as an interesting piece of history. It is a wonderful sports movie that our whole family loved -- it didn't sustain our 5 year old's interest in the beginning as it was too hard to understand. However, our 9 year old absolutely loved it as did his parents. The 5 year old enjoyed the more action scenes at the end. Great, great movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrainwolf_thunder June 22, 2015

Amazing

Very inspiring and beautiful. Made me cry! Morgan Freeman is amazing as Nelson Mandela. Great for all ages!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byuhya July 12, 2011

great

2 f--ks, the film's good but too long.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanhjimmy16 February 17, 2011
Kid, 12 years old August 15, 2010
Adult Written byzafeer June 22, 2010
I love it. It's good for kids who are able to understand the history and its significance. Some parents think its a bad movie but I just say that's either racism or stupidity. Who doesn't want to watch a movie about a Nobel Peace Price Winner integrate a divided nation? Come one, this is inspiring and can make a grown man cry. But remember, DON'T SHOW THIS TO YOUR CHILD IF THEY CAN'T COMPREHEND IT'S HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE. Most teenagers nowadays are very ignorant and only care about their own little world. Those who care about more than themselves and their surroundings are the ones able to appreciate a movie like this. It's not just about rugby, it's about integrating a nation and ending an apartheid. If your child can't understand something like that on their own then don't show this to them. All they will get out of this is another sports movie when the team always wins. It's what the win accomplishes that's important.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 December 31, 2009

Great, inspiring movie with amazing performances

Its as if it was written somewhere that Freeman would play Mandela, because his performance is very right-on. It's unlike most movies I've seen...it's familiar, and underdog tale, but also a very original biopic that should be seen by the mature, who can understand Mandela's actions: he knew the Rugby World Cup would bring all races together, even though it seems there was a large seperation.
Adult Written by0averick December 26, 2009

Mndela did what Jesus might have done

A main point is that the OBVIOUS is often NOT the best choice. Mandela sees that it would be better that the new black majority join with the whites in support for the whites beloved Rugby team when it seems obvious that it should eliminate the team and it's colours.
Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written byAnnes_time July 4, 2016

Starts slow for younger kids, but worth it for a good family movie

It was a good family movie for 12 and 15 yr olds. Lots of action at the end, but entertaining throughout. Got us talking and thinking.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymad about tv June 7, 2015

fantastic

This film has no flaws and very little inappropriate content. I would just say that kids of around 9 may find it boring
Teen, 14 years old Written byilovemaroon5 December 5, 2013

One of the Best Movies of All Time

This is overall one of the most outstanding movies I have seen in my life. It has an amazing cast of actors. It sends an amazing message. The springbok rugby team doesn't give up, they get motivated and didn't stop till they earned what they deserved. all of the charaters in the movie are show persercerence. The best role of all was Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela. He did an overall immensely great job. And may Nelson Mandela rest in peace.
Educator and Parent of a 13 year old Written byboxplayer November 22, 2011

Show it -- language be darned!

With parent permission, I showed it to my 5th/6th grade class. They were deeply affected in a positive sense, and it opened all kinds of dialogue -- about racism on all sides, about rugby rules, about the meaning of the title poem -- which we read and discussed in the classroom. We also discussed the film as literature -- what does the opening scene convey (poor black kids playing football/soccer, white rich kids playing rugby -- the fence material -- the response to Mandela as president. And more, of course, as the film went on.
Parent Written byMiaGirl October 10, 2011

Invictus is amazing!!!

Invictus is a great movie about sportsmanship and having faith in your team.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 September 10, 2011

Great movie!

My rating: PG-13 for some strong language and rough sports-related violence.
Teen, 17 years old Written byKnowler April 19, 2011

Forgive your enemies & they'll forgive you.

Nelson Mandela forgived the whites even when they tore his family apart by jailing him for almost 30 years. I never thought rugby which is only a sport can bring a nation together. Nelson Mandela believed the Springboks can win it eventhough most of the blacks considered the Springboks as failures. In the end, his trust settles the conflict between the whites & the blacks when the Springboks won the final round against New Zealand, whose team always win including a 147-point match defeated Japan. maybe leaders of other countries as well as the people should take note of this. With kindness & forgiveness, the past will be defeated & stay silent for good. Though don't forget about the past completely as what I'm reviewing is also in the past.