Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 7 parent reviews

Sort by:

Cringe

Opens with a young girl - like, 9 years old - handcuffed in fur-lined cuffs with her arms above her head, wearing a short skirt, biting her lip seductively.  It's absurd, and sexist, and off-putting.  The whole movie continues in this fashion: women and girls pouting, finding themselves in provocative poses.  This is supposed to be self-aware and funny, but, like the numerous allusions to other movies peppered throughout the film, it comes off as clumsy and unsettling instead of clever.  Also, for unfathomable reasons, multiple characters speak in fake British accents.  A deeply cringe-worthy movie. Terrible gender messages.

Couldn't even finish it

After the opening scene with the exaggerated swooning of Chloe Grace, the flashy smile and cheesy over acted flirting between them.... Combined with the scene in the classroom relegating males to being prince's, hero's and charming, /females to being princesses, Damsels in distress, ingenues or ugly stepsisters... We couldn't continue. Even if this is sarcastic or resolves later on, it's hard for younger children to understand. We got about 30 minutes in and no one was interested in continuing.
1 person found this helpful.

Strays from the main story. Too much adult humor.

The giant and his sidekick were too frightening for my 6 and 9 year olds. There were many jokes the kids did not get but the adults did. Negative adult role models. Thumbs down.

Not good

Weird especially the old guy will give your kids nightmares not ideals

Fun and exciting

Great for kids

Quirky gem

This movie was super quirky and low budget in a good way. I couldn’t believe it was made in 2009, because there was a very 80s or 90s aesthetic about it. For example, the giant and his guard wore rubbery masks—no hours were lost in the make-up trailer or CGI post-production. What is good? The cameos, the way the story comes together, the lack of gross humor. It referenced a lot of fairy tales and nursery rhymes that kids should already know, or the movie won’t make much sense. It also references movies that parents will recognize (Back to the Future, Princess Bride) that kids probably won’t get, but it’s not necessary. The rubber masks were so fake but a little scary for our 4 year old. There were a couple plot points that really made no sense, but it didn’t bother us. Spoiler alert: The way the boy was told that his dad died was awkward and the kids didn’t really get he was dead. The movie was low budget and not trying to sell us anything.

Super entertaining for the whole family.

This is one of the better movies we've seen lately. It kept my 10-year old son engaged and wasn't too scary for my 6-year old daughter. The references to past movies and fairy tales kept it fresh for my husband and I. The giant and his sidekick were visually frightening, but weren't unnecessarily aggressive. The fight scene with the ninjas (no spoilers) was a great example of how producers can do conflict and keep it non-violent for children. We have a tradition of watching a movie every week, so we are always happy to turn up an under-marketed, little gem like this one.