Parent reviews for Jack Reacher

Serviceable but forgettable Cruise thriller is very violent.

Adult Written byjoshua martinez December 27, 2012

14 and up.

this thriller movie stars with tom cruise Jake reacher is a awesome worth watching but only older teens can handle this type of violent movie and parents you need to know that jake reacher has some intense violence some strong language used and some drinking and one drug shown such as paraphernalia.

Adult Written bydianab123 January 5, 2013

Should have been rated R

Yikes! Should have been rated R. Not much story line unless you like watching violent killing. From the trailer, I was expecting more of a Mission Impossible type movie. This is not even close!

Adult Written bycrusader666 February 24, 2014

Not a great movie; very violent!

Wasn't sure Tom Cruise (at five-seven) would pull it off but he did okay playing Jack Reacher (six-five, 200+ pounds) and carried the movie, which otherwise was mediocre. Lots of camera-angle tricks helped with his lack of height and it appears Cruise spent some time at the gym getting his upper body buff because his bare chest appeared to be hard as a rock in the movie, which is good for someone his age. As generally happens when books are turned into movies, fans of Jack Reacher will probably be disappointed. I am not a Reacher fan, but did read "The Killing Floor" (Book 1) and "One Shot" (Book 9), the latter of which this movie is based on, prior to watching the movie. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but the movie was a far cry from the characters Lee Child created in his books. According to news reports, Tom Cruise owns the rights to ALL Jack Reacher novels, so he will run the show (with Paula Wagner). In this first Reacher movie, more time should have been spent including characters from the book that are left out in lieu of the cheesy what-seemed-to-be-30-minute car chase, that is for sure! What amazes me is that the John Grisham movies (which the author claims to have little if any involvement in) are much closer to the books he wrote than most movies that are based on other books I have read. Not sure why that is, but there isn't one "mediocre" Grisham movie, to date; they all rock! Hopefully Cruise/Wagner Productions will pay attention to some of the criticism so future Reacher movies they make will be closer to the story told by the author.

Parent Written byjpschouest June 19, 2013

Entertaining but Violent

Adult Written byjmak May 12, 2013

Should be Rated R

This movie should be rated R. When characters murder humans on screen, then it passes the PG-13 mark. Choosing to point a gun at someone's head while the person is seated, unarmed, and then pull the trigger is a "Rated-R" moment, as are all of the assassinations and other murders during the movie.

Parent of an infant, 3, and 6 year old Written byGambleFam May 5, 2013

Good but, PG-13? Really??

Thought this was a good, but tad long, film. Had good action scenes, with a good story which made it even more intriguing to watch. I was glued to the screen. (Notes for parents, as I'm a father of three.) I think there is way to much killing and violence for young eyes. Some brutal killing with people being shot down to a young girl being murdered by a single punch. I'm very surprised that this cleared the PG-13 rating. Overall I actually like the movie. It shows that good does prevail and that if you do wrong and kill you will be tracked down and caught or in this case killed. Tom Cruise did a great job in his roll. I recommend this movie for ADULTS, good story.

Parent Written bydheads December 27, 2012

Torture threats and deaths a mile a minute

I'm no prude but this movie is extremely violent (and tedious to boot) - my 12 year old was genuinely scared the entire time (e.g., threats of chewing off fingers and other torture). If this were an otherwise fabulous movie with a point this might be excusable, but don't waste your money (or your kid's brain).

Adult Written bykarako July 21, 2014

Should have been rated R.

A bland, sexist, plotless film with non-stop graphic violence and disturbing scenes of torture. Not for kids. I have no idea why this movie is rated PG-13 when other films with mild language and no violence get the same rating.
Adult Written byChance M. February 20, 2017

pg-13 What the heck!!!

Now this was a very good movie with a good plot and good action scenes but is BRUTAL (Jabbing a mans eye out finger seen in socket, Killing a young girl by chocking,Murder of 5 inoccent people one holding child,torture,point blank shooting of an old man in the head, making someone bite fingers off then shooting them in head, fist fights) it is very violent but then againg that is what we came to see Tom Cruise kick some people dead

Adult Written bySuszanne B. June 18, 2017

CAUTION!

I saw no mention in the reviews of the multiple mentions of rape and sexual violence that start early on in this movie. Having a character tell a man who faces prison "I hope you get passed around until they can't tell your fart from a yawn", and describing a "rape spree with women aged 11 to 55" to me makes the movie unacceptable for children. This site should consider adding a category of sexual violence for general tracking purposes, as it is a particularly disturbing and dangerous brand of violence for young, impressionable minds.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byNick's Momma May 12, 2013

Not worth the time or the rental fee

This is by far one of the worst movies Tom Cruise has ever made. Every line out of his mouth sounds like it is trying to be a new signature phase. Became so bad that we started making fun of it about half way through.

Adult Written bymike p. April 8, 2018
Adult Written bySkier1225 November 20, 2017

Intriguing but please...

It was a pretty decent thriller with some great plot twists, however the predictable and over staged shots of Tom Cruise's naked torso were, to say the least, hokey. It even looked staged. And even the sexual tension between Cruise and his co-star was cliche and didn't add anything to the story.