All parent member reviews for Jack the Giant Slayer

Parent of a 14 year old Written byleximack March 8, 2013

We loved it -

I'm pretty selective about films we see. There were two H words & that's pretty good for movies these days. My son will be 14 tomorrow and he LOVED it, great story, great effects, well acted. You never actually SEE anyone eaten because the camera cuts away but you know they have been eaten and a few people are swatted with giant maillots or stepped on but again, no blood or guys. Though some scenes were scary it was not gore scarey or blood scary, just creepy giant scary. I think its great for anyone 10+ unless the two H words are offensive. This was a really good movie, sorry its getting s much flack, shame
Adult Written bylulabee March 3, 2013

too violent

In my opinion this movie is NOT for children - they WILL have nightmares - even as an adult I found the violence unnecessary and disturbing - in one scene a man is picked up, broken in half and eaten by a giant - another man has his head bitten off - while there is no blood shown it is very gruesome - there is a scene where soldiers are climbing up the beanstock and they slip and are hanging from a rope - they beg for help, but the evil character cuts the rope and they all fall to their deaths - I don't know who this movie is for really - the giants are way too scary for kids and adults will find the whole movie poorly done - some of the effects are cool, like the beanstock growing, but that's about it - don't bother wasting your money or upsetting your children - way better fantasy movies will be coming out soon
Adult Written bywallyk2334 March 4, 2013

Very good movie made better in IMAX 3D

I took my 9 year old son to see this movie in IMAX 3D and we both loved it. I was a little worried about the violence after reading about the people getting eaten and torn apart but in reality it was barely shown on screen and not gorry. My son said the only part that scared him was when one of the giants pops up and surprises the heroes. The IMAX experience was amazing; great sound and visuals.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymollysmom704 March 3, 2013

Fun for tweens and teens

Took two 11 year old girls to see this - they loved it, it was perfect for them. Probably perfect for tween girls and tween/teen boys. Violent but not gory although the violence may be intense for younger children. My daughter has only seen one other PG-13 movie (Avengers) and was a little jumpy but in a good way - like a roller coaster. As an adult woman, I found it boring. There were a few funny lines, but basically it's two hours of my life I won't get back, but I love my daughter so I sit through these things (Yogi Bear the movie comes to mind). The worst thing about this movie experience was the previews for upcoming movies, none of which (the movies and the previews) are appropriate for children under 15 - Iron Man 3; Man of Steel; GI Joe: Retaliation; Oblivion; and others I can't remember. Go a little late and miss the previews.
Parent Written byLsfederico March 19, 2013

Great movie! Reminds me of The Princess Bride.

Went to see this on a date with my husband. Enjoyed it so much that I took four kids (12, 10, 9 and 6) back along with two grandparents. Everyone loved it. The story is well adapted. The giants are perfect and all of the characters have depth and are well played. For parents, they ARE man-eating giants, but this fact is made obvious WITHOUT the gratuitous gore thati many films choose to include. There is death but it is implied in many cases. No blood that I remember. No sex nor even innuendo. The giants are bad but not evil. scary enough but they do have personality and humor. Only profanity that I remember was one "h---" and one "bas----" (well deserved). Very good movie. Reminded me very much of The Princess Bride.
Educator and Parent Written byHCunningham April 5, 2013

Okay movie

Took my 11 year old son and 13 year old daughter - they both enjoyed it. There is an intense battle scene that could be scary. Jack is good-hearted and well-mannered, it's nice for the kids to see a hero that isn't a super-hero type. The love story is sweet, and not embarrassing for young boys. The giants are scary enough to be thrilling for younger kids, but also funny and gross. The kids liked how they tied in this adapted story to the original at the end. I was slightly bored, but not entirely so. An okay movie.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byfastraxsg May 4, 2013

Its ok

If you want to watch it go ahead but if you dont, your not missing out on anything.
Parent Written byGandM's Mom March 15, 2013

We're going again!

I took my 10 yr old and his friend. I admit I really like scifi. My son and I really enjoyed the movie! It is a simple story - no deep plot, but good for some mom/son time. His friend had seen Oz and said Oz was much more scary. There is a little innocent kissing, but nothing I would have to explain. Language was not too bad. Definitely some scary parts and I wouldn't take my 7 yr old. Giants eating people, people falling from heights, scenes that infer death, some intense moments - nothing too gory, though. My son wants to go again and take a different friend - he's even offering to use his birthday $. Importantly, I don't mind going again.
Parent of a 6 and 15 year old Written byEl Duderino March 13, 2013

Definitely NOT for younger kids!!!

When we found out we were placed in the front row of another movie, we made a last minute decision to watch this film instead. I asked the guy at the theater if it would be appropriate for our 6 year old and he assured me it would be. Said it has some violence, but it was very comedic. Well, not true. This movie is very realistic and quite violent. Had I known I would have NEVER let my 6 year old son witness this. He was visibly scared and covering his eyes. When we finally moved him to my wife's lap, he was flush and his heart was racing. He admitted to being scared. This is not a sheltered kid, btw. He has unfortunatley been exposed to quite a bit already, having seen other "inappropriate" movies without our knowledge in the past.
Adult Written byMovieLover92 March 24, 2013

Not as bad as I thought it would be

This film wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was actually quite entertaining. There is some mild swearing and action scenes. There is some gross sense of humor such as when the giants are eating/chasing the humans, trying to decide which human to eat first, picking their noses, and such. The fighting scenes aren't too bad either. It's not the best movie I have seen all year but it is not the worst either which is why I am giving it a 3 out of 5 stars.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byeswanson August 9, 2014

Really really violent

Don't think this Disney's Jack & The Beanstalk! Lots of slaying of giants and humans.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byIndegoMoon February 22, 2014

Great movie for teens +

Fun, visually striking fantasy based on 'Jack and the Beanstalk.' This film is partly animated; the giants are presented in CGI but the rest of the cast are real actors on screen. More suitable for 12+ because the giants are pretty scary and there are several scenes where they eat animals and people ( not gory but a bit disturbing). There are other violent killing scenes and people/giants falling to their deaths. I put this movie on a scare/violent level a little higher than 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.'