Parent reviews for Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)

Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) Poster Image

Good movie for kids and parents

This movie is awesome. It is cool because it tells the easier version of life was like for Jesus and his followers. How he got crucified and died. Some people may say it’s not accurate to the Bible but, this is the movie’s interpretation of it. We don’t know what actually would have happened so, this is what they did. Some people may say that it’s not suitable because the crucifixion scene at the end but, if your kid has seen someone get killed on another movie, It won’t be a surprise on this one. The movie features an amazing score from the legendary Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice.

Love it

Great movie for discussion with preteens&older

This is a good Christian movie. & I don’t like a lot of hokey “Christian” movies – Judas and Jesus are both amazing ! It does a good job of laying out the political motivations forJesus’ crucifiction. The storyline is sympathetic to Judas. Also Jesus is a lot more volatile than in most representations where he quietly accepts everything that happens and never looses his cool. Artistic license was taken and I think done well. Obviously things are not exactly as they were in the Bible -but if you are Christian-literate you should reconize everything just fine. The performances are passionate, and I think it’s a good movie to watch and discuss with your teenager. Yes there are adult themes, bad behavior, and violence, this is the Bible – duh!

Drama queen Jesus

There are not enough drugs in the world that one could take to make it through this film and think it was good.

Loved as a Kid! Great Rock Opera, Great Character Development

My parents introduced me to this film when I was 5. I was from an atheist family but familiar with the Christian cannon of Jesus. My parents explained the plot to me as we watched the film. I loved the music and understood the plot and conflicts. I was a mature child and able to enjoy this film at a young age. I watched it several times a week from ages 5-7 as a kid. It was my favorite movie, I loved the music and story. I would say that the age-appropriateness of this film depends heavily on the individual child’s maturity, sensitivity, spiritual views and interest.

Look somewhere else to learn about the final days of Jesus.

This is not linear. It won't make any sense until the 2nd half even if you are familiar with the story or the Bible, and none of it will make sense to those who are unfamiliar with the story or the Bible.

A conversation piece with music to keep an important story engaging

Definitely worth watching as an adult, watch it before you introduce it to your child, so you know what to expect. Once you do, there are a lot of teachable, conversation starters for Jesus and his story. Pivotal and a masterpiece must see. Definitely worth watching.