All parent member reviews for John Carter

Parent of a 17 year old Written bykimt803 March 11, 2012

John Carter Deserves Acclaim

I was not looking forward to seeing this movie as I was not familiar with the story and previews did not entice me. However, I loved the movie. I do believe the PG-13 rating is appropriate. Some language and scant clothing might not be appropriate for some families with younger teens. However, most kids have heard worse and seen worse in day to day life. Violence might overwhelm some kids but the bloodiest battle results in a covering of blue blood that resembles tempera paint. This is a movie that families can discuss. The lead female plays a strong and intelligent character who plays a princess and a professor who is on the brink of a discovery that could save her community from evil enemies. Loyalty and commitment to family and community are also positive themes. I am now intrigued to read the book.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bychilipeppr March 10, 2012

great family movie

Let me begin by saying I was reluctant to let any of our kids see this movie, but my husband won that argument. Their ages are 11, 10, 8, and 4 (yes, 4) and they all went to see it tonight. It was almost non-stop violence and action but for the most part it never seemed gruesome or unnecessary. I glanced over at our 4 year old about a hundred times during the movie to make sure he wasn't traumatized and not once did I see him get upset. There's a scene in Monster's Inc. that he is terrified of, by the way. All in all, I thought it was appropriate for any kids who don't get scared too easily and who have an interest in "fantasy/sci fi plots." There were a few offensive words throughout, but unless you see a G movie, curse words of some sort are unavoidable. All in all it was a better movie than I anticipated, less scary than I had imagined, and less sexual content and language than the official review led on. Our family of six all give it 5 stars!
Educator Written byTLSyrie March 11, 2012

John Carter: Star Trek Meets Indiana Jones

We saw this movie as a family: my husand, 9 year old son, and me. We all gave it a thumbs up. Although there is violence, I was never overwhelmed by it. It was never too gruesome and not one of those movies where the violence seems the lead, where it takes over as the major theme. Even PG movies these days have the language, so a little of that doesn't bother me. Our son knows those words are only said by adults. It is a highly entertaining movie, and the two hours and twenty minutes went by far too quickly. Unless your young child is very sensitive, I think it's a great family movie. We can't wait to see John Carter Mars, part 2. The Youngs
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bySavvy_Mommy March 29, 2012

Great movie for older kids and families.

There is a lot of violence and somewhat suggestive material/brief strong language. I would not recommend this for younger kids, but did see it with my tween. It was a great movie with a good message about standing up for what you believe in.
Parent Written byokbill June 10, 2012

Mars Adventure, reminds kids the importance of science, dreams & possibilities

Good story about a man who has lost all, only to be lucky enough to find it all again. Of course plenty of cool sci-fi characters, a princess and world to save, and heart to be mended with a new purpose.
Parent Written byJLFM May 12, 2012

Meh

Parent of a 10 year old Written byJopersis March 23, 2012

Surprisingly delightful gem!

It is unfortunate the critics have not been kind to this movie. We took our 10 year old son and found it delightful. Adventurous, entertaining, and big on special effects. The story can be a little confusing at times, as there is a lot going on. As for the "gory" scenes mentioned in the review, the monster scene is not unexpected and really isn't that bad. Just an "ewwww" moment that had my son laughing! The decapitation scene is lightening fast with no gore and little time focused upon it. You barely know it happened! Despite what the critics say, we found this an unexpected pleasure. Sadly, it will lose impact and brilliance when it makes its way to video/small screen, so see it in the theater while you can!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedklat June 7, 2015

Parent Written bydavidrox January 24, 2013

Eh

An okay movie, with a good but shaky script, mixed in with intense action that will attract young kids. however, even if they do see it, they might not like it. this movie suffers from lack of plot line and lack of character development. the language is minim, but the violence is continuous and heart pounding, however since its sci fi, not much blood or gore. My MPAA Rating is : PG-13 For intense Sci fi violence, and brief sexuality.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byLupak January 3, 2013

GREAT!

Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Educator Written byLadymagpie June 18, 2012

John Carter is a blast. Good clean action adventure.

It was very well done. The violence is far less than in many current police/dective dramas. I loved these books as a teen. The film does a good job of capturing the flavor of this classic tale. If you were ever a fan of Tarzan, John Carter will suit your taste for clean action adventure.
Educator and Parent Written bySheriS June 16, 2012

Good action movie for preteens

Good action packed movie for the preteens. Nothing alarming about the movie...other than a very cute "dog".
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byFruitpunch March 22, 2012

Not worth it

My son (age 9) and I went to see this movie with no expectations. We have not read the books. He and I both agreed this was the worst Disney movie ever. Seriously can't believe they put this out. Maybe if you have read the books it means more to you? If not, don't waste your time.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byHappy-mom March 21, 2012

BIG disappointment!!!

This must be the worst Disney picture ever!! I just couldn't believe this was a Disney production! I could not wait for the movie to be over. It is too long, unbelievably boring, has very poor acting and was, for me, a BIG disappointment. Please, don't waste your time on this one!!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bysunflowers1 March 12, 2012

Great Movie and get away from all the TV junk

Our 12 yr old son loved it. He loves sci fi, Star Wars/Harry Potter/Indian Jones. At times he said he was even bored! However, he was on the edge of his seat a couple of times. It was long but we became totally ensconced. Have fun and go see this!