Parent reviews for Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Star-studded reboot is charming; some iffy stuff.

Adult Written byLisa R. December 26, 2017

Inappropriate and unnecessary sexual references ruin a fun family film

We took our 14 yr (girl) & 12 yr old (boy) to this film. Both our kids loved the original movie and were excited to see it. As the movie progressed there were many lude jokes and sexual references that were embarrassing to my 14 yr old daughter. Dressing the female character up in a skimpy little outfit and having her use sexually explicit dance moves to manipulate men was so disappointing. We want our children to see strong heroines who use their inner strength, physical strength and their minds - not their body. It was totally unnecessary. Characters made reference to "tapping that" and although my kids didn't know exactly what it meant, they knew it was a sexual reference and not a nice one towards women. We finally left the film when Jack Blacks character (a girl in a mans body) recognized that his penis was aroused because of an interaction with another character. We knew there was a reference to a penis in the movie and thought the scene when this character was taught how to pee like a man was it. Maybe still not a necessary scene but it was funny. But to make reference to sexual arousal was just too overt and too inappropriate. The common sense media reviews did not prepare us for this. My 14 yr old daughter turned to me and said "Mom. I don't get all this but it is obviously inappropriate and its making me feel uncomfortable. Can we please leave?" So we left the film. Very disappointing that so many sexual references ruined a fun family film.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byJim R. December 25, 2017

A bit Racy for younger kids

The movie was humorous and the action scenes were good but somewhat intense. The sexual commentary was what made us leave the movie. Too many relationship references and the penis references were too much, especially the second instance. The movie was starting to lose the storyline in all of the relationship comments.

Adult Written byShannon H. December 20, 2017

A few bits of language, but overall a great movie for kids 11+!

It's rated PG 13.. if your kids are scared or jumpy of action movies, I would say it may be intense for them. They are in a jungle with animals chasing them.. it's a video game and they get eaten (NOT GROSS/NO BLOOD) but quickly regenerate with extra lives. My twins just turned 12 and loved it - we like Marvel, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, etc. There was a bit of language, but nothing crazy. No sex. No blood/gore. The reference to having a penis is made in a funny way since it is a girl character that is trapped inside a male avatar in the game. A few mild awkward kisses between the teens while they are their avatar in the game. There is a scene where they taste a margarita during the game. One character drinks too much of it and ends up causing them extra steps in the video game. Overall - really funny, nothing super offensive or inappropriate for the 11 and up crowd.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byjustinerl December 23, 2017

Too much potty, sexist humor and unnecessary bad language

Although many younger kids in audience, and my 11 year old liked it, this movie had so many sexist jokes, a lot of unnecessary bad language and potty humor which is why I think more appropriate for teens. The Rock was fun, overall story clever, jungle scenes fun and a lot of action (does every movie have to have violent shooting scenes now?). The only real female character was put into tiny crop top and shorts, made to use her sex appeal to distract men, made to make out, just typical sexist role. And the other girl who was a male avatar was the worst - most jokes at his/her expense.

Adult Written byKelly R. December 28, 2017

My family loved it.

I took my 5 (almost 6) year old after reading reviews on this site and talking to other parents who took their kids. There was a couple scenes my daughter hid under her blanket. Not necessarily because they were scary, just "are they gonna make it or not" intense. There are some curse words but nothing more than you'd find on basic cable. Some jokes about how boys go to the bathroom and one about what happens to boys when they get "excited". Most of those jokes went over my daughter's head. Overall we both loved it.

Parent Written byJessica S. December 26, 2017

Could have been better...

Overall the movie was okay. We found some scenes inappropriate and unnecessary. We did not like all of the penis talk, one character getting an erection after hugging another character, and the female character dressed in a skimpy outfit who used her body to dance and distract men. Could have been much better if they would’ve just stuck to the plot.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byChantal C. December 29, 2017

Really good movie, but too much reference to male penises

I thought this was a funny movie for myself, but I do not recommend taking your children to this movie, AT ALL. The constant reference to Jack Black's character's new found penis was a bit much. I was first alarmed when his character asked to use the restroom and requested help. I was second alarmed when the characters told Jack Black's character to watch out for hugging the Jonas character because erections and all. It was just gross all around. Like, I did not need to see or hear all that. Very disappointed in the director. I noticed a lot of Yiddish references in the movie, as well, like "OY VEY" which had nothing to do with any of the characters since they're not even Jewish. I can't help but give this movie a thumb's down for sexual innuendos and constant cursing. One of the characters gets drunk There are a few make out scenes The ninja girl dresses provocatively and moves/dances provocatively in some scenes.

Adult Written byHea L. December 22, 2017
We did not finish watching the movie, I am only rating the first thirty minutes. Within that thirty minutes there were 9 swear words mostly the "a" word and bathroom jokes about the male anatomy when the girl trapped in Jack Blacks body is learning how to go to the bathroom . If swearing doesn't bother you than you will be fine with this movie.

Adult Written bySunny S. December 30, 2017

Don't Bother...

This movie is a waste of the Jumanji name. The story is non-existent, the plot is only there in between raunchy humor. Nothing heroic about flat characters. Potty humor- lots of it, the same cliches too. Language, sex, drinking, using your body to get what you want, objectification. You will not find anything classy, nostalgic, or worth paying money to view. Stay away!!!

Parent Written byJamie S. December 29, 2017

Funny but not for children

The constant use of language and conversation concerning sex or similar topics made this movie completely innapropriate for children. To the point that it distracted from the story. The original was geared toward kids and this is not!!
Parent of a 4, 10, and 14 year old Written byDamien M. December 23, 2017

Fun, but very intense and one-or-two too-violent scenes

My wife took our 10 and 14yo kids to see this. All three really enjoyed it, but found it to be surprisingly intense and a little too violent. One scene in particular has Dwayne Johnson's character snap a character's neck - it was really brief and some might not notice it, but that split second felt a bit too violent and IMHO should have ended up on the cutting room floor.

Adult Written byStevie111 December 21, 2017

Very entertaining and fun for families with older kids

Jumanji is a fun movie with great comedic performances and jokes. It is pretty silly and cartoonish, but it's supposed be that way. They purposefully exaggerate things to make it resemble an over the top video game. Older kids around 10-11 or up should be fine for the most part. There are a few moments that could be scary, especially to younger kids, usually involving animals suddenly attacking or chasing characters. Otherwise, violence and action are mostly done for laughs. There are some silly suggestive jokes and a scene where a teenage girl in a man's body has to be told how to pee as a man. Language is very infrequent. Overall, it is just an enjoyable, silly movie that adults and kids will both enjoy.

Adult Written byMSB71 December 27, 2017

Awesome movie for all the family

I took my 3 boys, aged 12, 10 and nearly 8. The language was in the category of "they've heard worse" and the violence is more on the level of Warners Bros cartoons. Nothing was graphic and it was all done with humour. With the age spread of my kids, it's difficult to find a movie that they all enjoy. This was one and so did I. It won't win any Oscars but it was an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours

Parent Written byAnne P. December 22, 2017

Fine for mature 10+

I wish they had left out the unnecessary naughty language, because the rest was fun and exciting for my 9.5 year old. I read various reviews prior to my taking him, so we had discussed the language prior to my taking him. I liked the messages- we are more than what we appear, we can all be strong and brave and smart, and we are better as a team. Hate they used the word b****. Overall fun and exciting.

Parent Written bySharper S. December 29, 2017

Good but too much sexual innuendos.

Movie is awesome minus a urinating scene, penis discussion, and sexual innuendos throughout movie.

Parent Written bySusher W December 26, 2017

Hilarious

We Loved it. The characters were awesome and hilarious, they were perfect in their roles. Some of the parts that concerned others went right over my 10 year olds head. Don't take it too seriously, she laughed through the whole movie. The message about acceptance of others and ourselves was awesome.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byLacy D. December 30, 2017

I thought this movie was hilarious and so did my kids

I read reviews of this movie before I took my children who I was worried might to young if all the humor was crude. I should note my kids are allowed to watch most the marvel movies (deadpool aside), and a few other action feature films. My 8 year old really wanted to see this. He has seen Jurassic world. His brother on the other hand I chose not to take. He struggled with Jurassic world so since most the reviews show that this movie had people being eaten etc I had him opt out. We did take my he's daughter who is 7 as well. Most of the sexual jokes were so well written into the comedy, it reminded me of Shrek. Flew above my children's heads but was still placed well enough around silly humor that they laughed as well. Trust me they didn't get the references we discussed why certain things were funny after. If say this is a really fun family movie for kids 7 and up who can handle animal scares. I was crying I was laughing so hard at Kevin Hart. It's really great. There is a bit of swear words but no F word. Enjoy! The message is definitely about learning to accept yourself as who you are and being confident and liking yourself enough. And also to not judge others.

Parent Written byMelanie P. December 29, 2017

Great Movie Shame About the Swearing

Hilarious movie. We all really enjoyed the humour. What took me by suprise was the swearing and penis and sexual references including using the word penis. This made this movie a little uncomfortable for us with two younger daughters and I didnt feel is was necessary in the PG rating it has. Had we checked the reviews previous to it, its a movie we may not have taken them too (just our preference). But for the rest of the movie it was great we just apologised to the girls afterwards we didnt realise it had that much swearing. There is "[email protected]" "b*&ch" "sh$t" "penis" "bone" I think I saw a family with younger children walk out of this one.

Adult Written byRiley H. December 25, 2017
Adult Written byChris a. December 28, 2017

LOL Fun!

We took our 2 sons ages 8 and 10. There were also younger kids in the theater. We thought it was hilarious and my kids were laughing out loud. Our kids generally don't repeat bad words they hear in movies and they have heard worse at school sadly. There are a lot of penis references with a whole discussion on it. It is pretty violent but no more than they see in other similar movies. Great messages about team work and being selfless. There is one scary part where a Scorpion kills a guy and my son after the movie said he would have a nightmare about that part. The innuendo went right over their heads. We almost didn't take our kids but thought we would risk it and glad we did. The kids gave it the rating for 10+ because they said kids shouldn't hear those bad words.