Parent reviews for Jumanji

Some thrills, but may be too much for little ones.

Wondering if Jumanji is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byNish_x October 6, 2012

Implicit Message

Most reviews I have read focused mostly on language and scary creatures, which are both present in the movie. I was more concerned about the conflictual relationship between Alan and his father, and the tragic outcome: A family destroyed, a child who lost his parents, parents who lost their child, and how their own lifes ended with the tragedy. On top of all that, the town's rumor about the father killing his own child.
In the present time, the girl, portrayed by Kristen Dunst, was a compulsive liar who even made jokes about how her parents were killed. I watched this the first time when before I had any children. As much as I loved the movie then, now I see some complex themes that would probably be too much for younger kids.

Parent Written byShawn T. August 22, 2015

My kids were scared...

My 10 and 7 year olds started watching the movie per my recommendation, but got scared and turned it off. They were afraid that night to sleep. They reported it was too intense. (This rarely happens.)
Adult Written byDr.Pepper January 16, 2010

One of the best

This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The only main concern is that it might be a bit intense for really young children. Also there is some very mild swearing (One use of "h#ll" and "[email protected]" each)

Adult Written byRJD76 November 7, 2011

Good but not for young kids

There is a scene in which Bonnie Hunt's charater (who was a little girl when Robin William's character was sucked into the game as a boy) talks about how she can't believe he is alive because he was really chopped up into little pieces by his father.
Parent Written byT Dv June 24, 2012

For a little bitty kid, this is basically a horror movie. So, keep that in mind!

This movie was the right level of drama for our 4 year old because she enjoys animals going crazy and that is basically what is going on in this movie. She likes being frightened by movies. The finer aspects of the plot (time travel and such) are lost on her but she understood that the people in the movie were all caught in a horrible magic game. There is a scene with kids bullying another kid, and we had to talk about that, and there's a crazy old-timey hunter who's trying to shoot everyone, and we had to talk about that. ALSO, there are a couple of scenes where adults say they believe a kid was chopped up and his body was hidden in the walls. That would really freak out some kids. We just told ours those grown-ups were trying to scare the children, and she accepted that and never gave it another thought. Otherwise, it was a fine movie for her--one of the only ones she's asked to see over and over again.

Parent Written byMaureenH 1 February 1, 2016

Too scary for my children

I watched this with my children. I thought that since it starred Robin Williams, it would be good. About 20 minutes into the movie, my 8 year old turned to me and said, "Mom, if this movie gives me nightmares tonight, it's your fault." We gave up hope of it getting any better.

Adult Written byDad2020 December 31, 2019

Cussing is not needed

Good movie just don’t understand why the writer would put cussing in it. They take the Lord’s name twice. G**D****. Why? Not needed and offensive. My wife is a teacher and will make sure she doesn’t show it at school

Adult Written byMiloww December 25, 2019

scary

My 7 years old got scared only the first 5 min of the movie we turned off the screen, but she got nightmares only with the first scene! Very entertaining movie but definitely not for a 7 years old or even more `I would say.

Parent of an infant-year-old Written byKirsten S. January 6, 2018

Good movie, but very intense and pretty creepy

Adult Written bys3w47m88 September 6, 2020

All time favorite, but you guys didn't include some key notes!

Early in the movie a bat removal guy says the kids were murdered. And then the little girl says the boy was chopped into pieces and put in the wall! Horrible and should have been in the Language or Violence section,

Adult Written byTylyndah April 23, 2020

One of the best movies!

I have bought this movie and it is great just be concerned to a little violence for younger kids. But worth seeing!
Adult Written byMovie TV March 9, 2020

Love this Great Movie

This childhood classic is great for the whole family to enjoy it has little to no swearing and it's funny.

Adult Written byCath L. January 3, 2020

really good but not for little kids

really good but not for scared people

Adult Written byCapoeirak December 11, 2019

Scary but exciting

I watched this with my 7 and 5 year old kids. The 7 year old really enjoyed it, the 5 year old was terrified. There are some themes which are only appropriate for older kids eg bullying and some spookiness and peril which younger kids might find frightening - our 5 year old did, he was too scared to watch it.
Adult Written byLHay July 29, 2018

Wonderfully fun family film!

Our family with kids ages 8, 6, and 4 watched Jumanji together last night. It was a bit frightening at times for our 4 year old, when a plant attempted to eat a small boy, and there is a gun-toting soldier constantly chasing the group, but overall, it wasn't nightmare producing. What I enjoyed the most, was after the film, my kids were running around the living room using their imaginations and pretending the couch was quicksand, etc. It is a movie full of adventure and imagination. We loved it!

Adult Written byHamad A. February 18, 2018

Adult Written byGG87 January 17, 2018

Keeps the kids on the edge of their seats

My youngest two children love this, the 12 year old has outgrown it. First time watching the kids were gasping and got frights but they love it and like to watch it again and again. Old school classic.
Parent of a 10, 12, and 16-year-old Written byHendo H. U January 2, 2018

Maybe a 2-star.

Boring for kids and adults, pointless.

Adult Written byWill E. December 18, 2017

Great movie!

This is a great movie as it delivers in almost every possible way. If your kids are scared or frightened of this movie then they need to toughen up to be honest... everyone I knew growing up watched this movie and we all loved it as kids and now get to enjoy it as adults with our kids now-a-days. The original is the best, a 10/10. The new one with the rock, k.hart, etc. is a 2/10 at best... We miss you Robin!

Adult Written byvalentinD September 20, 2016

jimanji is cool for the kids

Robin Williams the best actor in the jumanji, he miss us. :'(