Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Jupiter Ascending

Laughably bad but slick-looking sci-fi epic.

Parent Written byDan G. February 6, 2015

Too much objectionable content for children, even adolescents.

The movie is intensely violent, although not gory; little blood is shown. There is rear nudity and some sexually suggestive talk. God's name is used in vain, and there is the rude and crude language that would get your child kicked out of school if they were to use it themselves in the classroom. The film also suggests that messing around with mother nature through the artificial fertilization (creation) of human persons is OK.

Adult Written byCloudIsC00L723 February 13, 2015

As a fan of the Wachowskis, I REALLY tried to like this movie.

But I gave up 3/4 through. Jupiter Ascending really is as awful as CSM's review suggests. Literally all of the dialogue is nothing but backstory that's nonsensical to the point of ridiculousness, the characters are REALLY stupid, and the action scenes are very hard to watch because the camera and editing is all over the place. As far as content goes, the violence is very typical sci-fi stuff with laser guns. But there are one or two scenes of brutality. Early in the film, a man is shot in the chest while trying to protect his pregnant wife and later, an minor enemy has a knife thrown in his face (not graphic, but he briefly screams). For sexual content, I honestly don't remember much objectification at all (I was more focussed on trying to understand the dialogue). But a woman's naked backside is shown as she gets out of a pool of water. While this isn't sexual in any way, it's on-screen a few seconds longer than needed. A prince character (shirtless) in a zero-gravity room is shown surrounded by scantily clad women (this scene is brief and it's important to note that this character is a villain). A minor character is shown in her bra and panties (showing more skin than I expected) as she struggles to decide on an outfit to wear. A romance develops between the two main characters, but not much is shown other than kissing. A women uses a period pad to bandage a man's wound (played for laughs). The main character tries to donate her eggs, which greatly upsets family members. Other shirtless men are shown from time to time, but ultimately aren't that distracting. Language is surprisingly minimal with one or two uses of s--t and infrequent milder words. Otherwise, I'm massively disappointed with this movie and I only hope the Wachowskis' future offerings are much improved (and simplified).

Adult Written byCRB1107 February 16, 2015

Not for preteens or younger.

You see several naked bodies from the back. You also see several bodies that are naked but genital is covered. Probably 20 cuss words and the plot is predictable. Violence is limited but there is one scene with lots of blood.

Adult Written byCarok February 22, 2015

Turn the sound off and watch the effects

We watched this on the spur of the moment. The effects were the only good thing about it. Otherwise it was a complete waste of money. The plot was poorly developed and even more poorly explained. The dialog was confusing with lots of topics left hanging. Not too far into it we were impatiently waiting for it to end and our son who loves sci fi action shows fell asleep!
Adult Written bymandal February 17, 2015

Sci-Fi Fantasy Cacky Epicness.

It's like a Disney princess film, if Disney did princess films in Sci-fi like the 5th Element with CG and imaginative worlds. Someone said it the best "It is the most ridiculous over the top fun you’ve had in a theatre in a while when all of your bad self insert sci-fi fan fics from when you were 14 have an orgy and create a beautiful 3D $100 million child." Some nudity but still good for the kids! Great for family laughs and a hit of wonderful CG over the top combat and action. It belongs with the Sci-fi films of old and the B movies that we all love. To sum it up, pure fun!

Written byAnonymous June 6, 2015

Adult Written bypuper15 June 1, 2015

One of the best films of 2014 (not really)

I've got to say. Every year I see a film that I leave the theater saying "Can Hollywood fall any lower?" My question was answered yet again with Jupiter Ascending. From the people who made the matrix run 2 movies to long, comes this masterpiece. I will give them credit, the story is a decent concept and they have some neat ideas. But they explain none of them and make the story so boring. The story follows Jupiter, who has so little personality she could be replaced with a lego brick and the story would be the same. Which brings me to this, all the characters are written horribly. The villain is so over the top it's hilarious. The dog man has the same amount of personality as a dog. And I didn't put the effort in to remember the rest of the characters cause they served no purpose to the plot. And the plot, oh boy what a mess that is. Miss lego brick Jupiter is the rightful queen to earth cause of some reincarnation crap that isn't explained very well. And they know this because of bees, Insert Nicolas cage joke here. But Mr villain wants earth all to himself so he decides he's going to kill Jupiter by getting her married and killing her at the ceremony. Oh and they use earth to harvest humans for anti-aging cream or something. I won't spoil the ending, but is goes the exact way you think it does. This movie is a great example of The Wachowskis giving up. Even though it's horrible, you need to see this movie. It's one of the best bad movies I've seen in awhile. 1/5 stars
Adult Written byStevenG 1 March 8, 2015

Disappointing

Great special effects, but I don't spend tons of money for only special effects. The story line was all over the place and it lacked a logical flow and timing. Its out of the theater now, but its not even worth a rental and barely worth a free viewing.
Adult Written byJoshH 1 February 15, 2015

A little scary for my 12 year old

This movie started out really fun with lots of action. Unfortunately, we had to leave mid way through as there were some pretty scary aliens in the movie and my daughter is scared of aliens. The other creatures didn't bother her but specifically the classic alien looking dudes are very nasty in this film. Also, there was one semi erotic moment involving a man floating in a tank with a bunch of presumably naked alien females all over him.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee August 27, 2015

Could of been better Jupiter..

If I had to say one long statement about this film, I would have to say it could of done a little better. Otherwise, Besides the adult content and the intense action, I feel this film showed it's side of creativity.. Other than that, It could of done better if the concepts where more interesting and you fixed the storyline up a bit.. on that last note, I think any mature young adult should be able to watch this..

Adult Written byMistypieces August 13, 2018

Wanted to love it

I was pretty excited to see this movie. It had many of my favorite actors who we all know can obviously act quite well.. and the story line seemed great! Unfortunately, the script itself was cliche, lines were the basic “bit why me” being the chosen one dialect and it’s all way too fast paced. There’s A LOT coming at you in a short amount of time with absolutely no time to process any of it. No humor, although it had many an opportunity. It really could of been an epic movie if it gave itself some time to breathe..really wish someone would remake it lol because it could be fantastic.
Adult Written byPizza G. May 22, 2017

Dreadful sci-fi has a few so-bad-it's-good laughs

Jupiter Ascending is an astoundingly incompetent, occasionally iffy sci-fi / action. The only value I found in it was some unintentional comedy, but if the so-bad-it's-good genre isn't enough to keep you entertained for a two hour running time then I say skip it. For those who actually want to sit through the movie, it's relatively mild for a PG-13--sci-fi action violence with flashy aircraft chases, explosions, mild blood, plus some swearing ("damn," and "s--t,") and brief, non-graphic nudity (naked behinds). If you're looking for something fun to watch with friends or while drunk then it may be just right, but if you're trying to find a decently made film then you might want to...well, not watch it.

Adult Written byqwerty1234 May 5, 2015

Adult Written byPopcorn25 February 17, 2015
Adult Written bychrisadams February 12, 2015

Decent Story and good display

I thought the movie was great if your a sci-fy lover like me and just in general love movies. It has a unique and never before scratched movie concept but was also predictable at times. In general great movie and would see it again.