What parents need to know
Parents need to know that Just Mercy is a memoir-based legal drama about idealistic young lawyer Bryan Stevenson (Michael B. Jordan), who travels to Alabama to help save a wrongfully convicted man on Death Row. With the help of a local advocate named Eva Ansley (Brie Larson), Stevenson sets up a legal office and meets with Walter McMillian (Jamie Foxx), who was sentenced to death for the murder of a white woman. Stevenson gathers evidence and puts together a case to prove McMillian's innocence, all the while fighting the racism and political manipulation of a system that's stacked against him. The intense subject matter and strong language will likely make this best for teens and up.
- In theaters: December 25, 2019
- Cast: Michael B. Jordan, Brie Larson, Jamie Foxx
- Director: Destin Daniel Cretton
- Studio: Warner Bros.
- Genre: Drama
- Topics: Activism
- Run time: 136 minutes
- MPAA rating: PG-13
- MPAA explanation: thematic content including some racial epithets
- Last updated: December 12, 2019