All parent member reviews for Katy Perry: Part of Me

Parent Written byParent and Musician July 9, 2012

G Pop Star: More depth and positivity than all kids movies currently out there

This is a G rated documentary about a very talented, inspirational young woman. The only reason I would not take my 5 year old to this movie is he might become too bored (as there might be too much talking). I'm not sure where Common Sense Media came up with 2 stars for "sexy stuff" and 2 stars for drinking and drugs (the only reference to drinking I saw was a bottle of champagne being opened after a concert). Perry's music is mostly the game "Candy Land" on steroids, with some tongue-in-cheek sexual references, mostly based on falling in love. Kids of all ages hear more language and sexual references in school or in their own parent's houses (only heard one word of "bad" language, all in context of the situation). This is a very well made documentary focusing on the star's rise and her challenges along the way, mostly around remaining true to herself in the music business. The movie showed real life challenges of a marriage, and real emotion, which is missing in most movies. Most of Perry's on stage outfits consists of candy, fairytale and bird themes. She is a true entertainer and inspiration for all ages, and if you don't take your (especially creative/musical) child to this movie, I think you're missing out.
Adult Written byHollyworld July 8, 2012

Interesting, pleasant, clean documentary of this huge star

This documentary covering the enormous world tour Katy Perry undertook in 2011 was surprisingly tame for a big music star behind-the-scenes film. There is virutally no bad language (one instance of a** and one bleeped out s***.) No drugs, no partying, nothing racy. Katy comes across as a sweet, determined, talented young woman, with a suppportive team of sister, best friends and others. They did discuss her strict Christian upbringing, and her parents were briefly interviewed. Though they didn't seem terribly thrilled by her choice of career, the movie doesn't get into that drama, if there is any. There's lots of eye-popping concert footage, and uplifting messages from Katy and her fans. Do be prepared that Katy becomes very distressed at the dissolution of her marriage. Though there aren't a lot of details, she is seen sad and crying, lying down and almost not able to go on with several shows due to upsetting messages with now ex-husband Russel Brand. She rallies, however, puts on a smile and gathers strength from her fans. I think kids 9 and over would do fine with this film. Younger ones might be upset at seeing Katy during her down times, and frankly, may get bored and restless. I saw a few younger kids looking pretty disinterested - the movie is mostly interviews and behind the scenes footage with concerts mixed in - no plot and no story of the kind kids younger than 8 are used to seeing. My own daughter, who is 9 and loves movies and Katy, told me it was "a little boring". I think I may have enjoyed it more than her! All in all, a pleasant, enjoyable look at a talented girl on her way to the top.
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen July 8, 2012

Katy Perry rules!

Katy Perry has fans I saw it for yesterday.
Parent Written byDan G. July 20, 2012

Girls, ask your boy friends to show you their PeaCock!

"Show me your PeaCock?!?!?" Yes, just the behavior I want my daughters emulating.
Parent Written bywhatdotthinks July 13, 2012

Pleasant surprise!

Overall I was pleasantly surprised. The movie has more substance that I expected, the concert clips were edited well, and there were positive messages throughout. It was a good dose of reality for kids that a pop star life is not all glamour--that hard work, perseverance, independence and, yes, disappointment and failure--are all part of the package. We took a group of girls age 7-11 and all the kids loved it. For the younger kids, the Russell Brand break up went over their heads and for the whole group, they were more focused on her story, being "weird" and independence and the music. I would surmise, given the nature of her music, that the behaviors of the adults in the film are highly sanitized (i.e, they bleep out the only instance of a 4 letter word). Our kids walked away with inspiration, a positive message and a fun 90 minutes. We also saw the movie in 3D. Total waste of time and money. 2D is fine.
Parent of a 3, 8, and 11 year old Written byMommy3chicas August 7, 2012

Part of Me Has Parts Better Suited for Older Girls

I took my daughters, ages 8 and 11, to see this movie. I must admit that I didn't know much about Katy Perry or her music prior to seeing it. She is a very talented young woman who works very hard and seems to genuinely love her fans. I really liked how it showed how close she is with her sister and family and that even though they don't agree with some of her song lyrics they still love and support her. Unfortunately some of the songs (I Kissed a Girl and Peacock) were not appropriate for my girls. We did have a discussion after but it was uncomfortable during the movie and I think maybe the movie is better for older girls.
Parent Written byLittle Woman July 13, 2012

Katy Perry Movie

It was an inspirational show. Just be concerned that in "real life" a lot of her songs are very inappropriate for 13 yr olds. (which is my dtrs age). The movie kind of brushes over that. Otherwise, it was good. Even I enjoyed it.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bymoonbeem16 July 17, 2012

Good for moms and daughters

She is all about her fans . Worked hard to get where she is now
Parent Written byMelanie Williams September 26, 2012

Inspirational

Katy Perry is one of many great role models for children and does not show any sign of sexual or immature traits that is not acceptable for a childs viewing. The film Katy Perry: Part Of Me is a documentary concert film and she talks about a lot of personal things that have happened in her life. But it just shows that she was able to move on with her life and not let past events get her down. It also influences children not to make silly mistakes if they do choose to take the path to fame in the future.
Parent Written byMusic/Movies July 23, 2013

Positive but iffy

Sex: *Katy and Russel kiss in a few scenes, but most kisses are short. *Katy sings about kissing a girl. *There are lyrics about makinf out with a boy in a car in the song "the one that got away" *There are lyrics about kissing and being filled with poison in the song "et" which are repeated many times *The song "peacock" is all about sex and Katy sings it for a good 3 minutes in the film. *There are some revealing outfits that show cleavage. *Katy is known to have gone to a gay bar for her first time in one scene. ----- No violence ----- Language: b*tch, c*ck, beyotch, and a bleeped out sh*t. ----- Drinking: The song "circle the drain" is about a man being addicted to drugs and drinking