Parent reviews for La La Land

La La Land Poster Image

commenting on another review by Jeremy Landes: This is a great review! Thank you, Jeremy, for the La La Land synopsis and the recognition of its ability to bring the old Hollywood musical aesthetic back to life! As someone who is a fan of old musicals, in particular, Singing in the Rain, I was quite excited for the release of this film. For any musical lover, old movie fanatic, or rom-com enthusiast this movie is a new classic that combines these three categories into one. I appreciate your take on it, calling it an “attempt to breathe fresh life into the genre.” Do you think La La Land provides the same sensations of the old-school musicals? It seems to me that La La Land shows more of a sadder, yet accurate view of life, whereas others provide a more blissful story ending with a long awaited profession of love. The movie is developed in a way in a way that emits a nostalgic and reminiscent feel, and just like you said, the music can keep the toes tapping. There is something about the “glorious artificiality” as you called it, that makes the movie extra special. You expressed it perfectly when you described the movie as having an old-school musical vibe that tells a more modern story. It tells a story that resonates with viewers in this day and age (motivate by and relevant to experience), and makes watchers feel something they can relate to. I appreciate your advisory to the parents of teens. I especially admire that you brought up the issue of living together before marriage. While the movie does not have any sexual scenes, the couple obviously live and sleep together throughout the film, while they are not married. This is important for parents to make known to their children. A balance between the movie and what our morals in life should be kept in mind. Like you said, “the movie does not uncover great new insights about relationships,” would you say though that this movie shows a more realistic relationship as many movies seemly just show exemplary ones? I appreciate your take on this modern love story, because it does show the highs and lows of such a deep love. The movie shows a certain truth of relationships that other movies do not. It is almost more realistic. Additionally, this movie does give a sense of familiarity for anyone in relationship who chose a profession or dream over a relationship. While the two do not end up together, would you agree that this movie shows quite a dignity to the human person? I see this when both the couple meet in the final scene; they are greeted with a familiar face, and fond memories: no bad blood from their previous break up, simply an appreciation for the role they played in each other’s stories. While this movie does show a realistic relationship, it is an inspiring story that shows humble beginnings and hard work may lead to the redemption of dreams. I admit, the first time I watched this movie, I was so underwhelmed with the ending. As a hopeless romantic I was at a loss for words! Yet, you are right it may be considered as a favorite movie for some. Despite the ending, it leaves viewers upbeat with a positive attitude. Perhaps they will even find themselves humming to the soundtrack. However, I do appreciate your honesty when mentioning the songs. I completely agree; there was no show stopping song like “Don’t Rain on My Parade” from Funny Girl. The jazz score, however, was impeccable and made the touching scenes more meaningful. The soulful jazz, and the passion the character Sebastian feels for it, as well as the drive that Mia has for her work is inspiring and the touching and sensational instrumental music alone can leave a viewer longing to watch it again. Personally, I wish the outcome of the movie was different, but I did love how the creators of the movie added a scene of what could have been if the two stayed together. That produced some closure. Do you think the ending was effective by showing a more realistic love story, or do you think it would have been better if the two ended up together? Something that annoys me a little about the ending is that it hints that one cannot love the person they want and achieve dreams… would you agree? It is definitely a realistic movie, which I am sure many can relate to! However, there is something about a movie that makes you smile ear to ear, one that allows you to escape reality. I guess all movies cannot be dream-like though! Thank you, Jeremy, for the delightful review, and for the realistic ratings. This review is brief but accurate. I love how you used strong adjectives to bring the color of the movie to life. I appreciate your honesty and both about the songs and the parental guidance. However, I would love to hear your take on the actors and their performances. I think they did a really effective job! If I had not already seen the movie, I would be convinced to watch it! check out Jeremy's review here: https://christiananswers.net/spotlight/movies/2016/lalaland2016.html
1 person found this helpful.

This is one of the accurate reviews on Damien Chazelle's masterful film.

It is not okay for parents to disallow their children to see this movie because it has language in it. The language is not pervasive nor present for a vast majority of the movie and focuses on themes of pursuing a dream, having relationships, and why the relationships end between characters with great chemistry. There is a great score, great acting, and a great story in this movie. Anyone qualified to understand movies, which could be a child at age 8 or 10 would love this movie. There isn't one person who kinda likes this movie and understands it. Everyone who cares about the story loves it. Take your kids to see this movie.

1 person found this helpful.

Beautiful movie with a beautiful soundtrack.

La La Land is a amazing movie with a great message. You really get a feel for the characters and what they are going through and feel what they are feeling. The movie is also very beautifully shot and beautiful in general. The music really sets the mood for the movie and works very well with it.

1 person found this helpful.

Creative, meaningful, authentic -- wow!

This movie stands out for being a meaningful story, creatively told, with characters that feel authentic. Good music too. Great acting. Why would someone want to waste a couple of hours of their life on a dumb Hollywood action movie, when you can watch movies like this? A classic for ages to come.

Not bad at all.

There is not too much of anything in this movie all it is is language and I do not get affended by language that isn’t used sexually, and a 6 year old won’t either.
1 person found this helpful.

If you are not into musicals then I think you can skip this one...

I do not care for musicals. This film did nothing for me until the end. The film had a way of making me feel that I had just endured 2 hours so that I could enjoy those last 10 minutes. I have watched and enjoyed films for less. I was not particularly moved by the leads, but I was convinced of their love for each other. As a native of LA I enjoyed watching the city I know depicted in cinemascope and technicolor, but singing on the freeway in traffic?...no thank you.

Really boring, dont bother

Not a movie worth wasting your time on. Was very boring. Not a lot of bad language or sexy stuff. Was very confusing at the end, didnt really get what was going on.

Nah, Nah, Nah

Interesting that what seemed so-o-o exciting when we were teens can be something so tiresome as an adult. Oh, to be young again! I can't believe I used to swoon and think it "fab" when a Beatle shook his hair! But, there is nothing new under the sun. Here the youth are enamoured with this cinematic gimmickry. The characters are shallow, the plot monotonous. The dialogue as well as dress are somewhat profane. The camera work and scenery are colourful, but alas, cannot redeem this film. If it serves only to excite the youth so that they will continue to explore more musicals (some of the great classics from the past are still worth viewing), then it gets a few stars. Won't be getting up on the car roofs to dance about it. I will end with what a 14 yr. old reviewer had to say about this movie: "This film is so overrated! I went to the cinema with my friends for my birthday and it is very boring, do not waste your time or money on this pathetic excuse for an award winning film!" Amen. I'm with you!

This film is a masterpiece.

I saw this film in the summer of 2017 and it is still one of my favorite films of all time, the films music, jokes, lines, and the overall feel of the film. If you haven't seen this film, buy it, just buy it.

Wonderful Movie!

It’s a fluffy and visually stunning preformence done perfectly by Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. It was all happiness and fun, until the end. That’s my only complaint. They just HAD to give it a sad ending. But it’s a good 11+ movie. There’s some language but overall there’s not many bad things about it