Parent reviews for La La Land

Profound, beautiful film about love and creativity.

Wondering if La La Land is OK for your kids?

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byjacksevy July 6, 2018

Painful

If your child has never seen a musical before, by all means avoid this one. First impressions are lasting.
Sleep walker "acting", no-skill no-thrill dancing routines, simply bad singing simply wash out whatever plot there may be. The average high-school theater presentation is higher calibre. I have never seen such mediocrity on screen before.
La La Land is far below millennial standards.
Parent of a 10 and 14-year-old Written byb080170e December 20, 2016

Just wonderful....

This is a delightful movie. Other than a couple of swear words (which I hardly remember) I would have easily allowed my 10 year old to watch the movie. I couldn't understand the PG-13 rating (and I'm fairly conservative with what I allow my children to watch) but the themes (especially the ending) can be a bit heavy and need explanation. So, for that reason I understand and recommend a mature tween and definitely a teen. If you are looking to get swept away completely in a romantic love story and just sit back and enjoy 2 hours of a great story, then this is the movie for you.

Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written byJohn B. January 7, 2017

Inspiring musical about following your dreams

I took my three kids and a friend of theirs, ages 9 to 11, to see La La Land and they loved it. My husband and I saw it first and both felt it was a fantastic movie for our children: it dealt with love in more nuanced way than the typical pat manner that kids' movies do, yet the love it depicted was true and honest and kind. It's rare to find that in a movie these days, and even more unusual in a movie that does not have inappropriate sexual content or language. And the music and dancing is every bit as inspiring as reviews note.

There was some swearing but far less than most PG-13 movies and no sexual content other than kissing and a clothed couple slipping under the covers and talking.

It seems the suggestions to limit this movie to older kids is due to this movie not being an anodyne happy-happy love story typical of kid films. It's bittersweet but it is not overly complex. All four kids I was with had no trouble following the story.
Adult Written byKip W. May 31, 2018

Inspiring, uplifting musical about pursuing your dreams

This is a phenomenal film that is ok for tweens, as there is really no violence, sex scenes, or drug use. The only thing parents would find objectionable in this film would be little bit of profanity, including one use of f--k, and a few uses of s--t, as well as some scenes of social drinking. Aside from that, this film is family-friendly with very positive messages that will lift your spirits.

Adult Written byNathan R. May 25, 2017

Beautiful Musical is "DELIGHTFUL" & "ASTOUNDING"

Violence 0/10 --- Sex 0/10 --- Language 5/10

Adult Written byLatosha D. October 4, 2017

Disappointed

I was looking forward to this movie until I researched it on here to find out it has GD in it. Though I have watched movies with that word in them is now the reason I research movies. As for my opinion I don't think that word is suitable for young kids.

Adult Written byChirantha W. June 14, 2017

Too many loop ends and poor characterization

Of course I get what people say about it having great music and a positive moral ending and the bittersweet reality of romance. The actors were good especially Gossling, but the only 2 issues I have are the character"s personality and development. For one thing we always see Mia supporting ,advising and showing up for Sebastian' s performances and pushing him to start the Jazz club. Meanwhile Sebastian only takes Mia on a date to the observatory (kinda a personal motive) and informs about the audition (selfless) and asked her to write her play. Besides that tree isn't much he does as a good boyfriend. Also did anyone notice that he NEVER songs in the movie. Considering this as a musical is kinda hard cause it mainly has the same instrumentals repeating and few songs when compared to other musicals.
Don't get me started on Mia's 3 friends. They take her on a night out to some club and vanish from the face of the Earth never to be seen again. Beck they never even showed up for the play nor did anything else for Mia. It makes us wonder if Mia actually had any friend except for seb we all know how that turned out.
So this is pretty much a cheap excuse for a musical with poor characters but has great acting and sounds. Plus I saw that some people recommended this to some youngsters but the idea that you are totally alone in the world maybe a tad too much for some younger viewers.

Adult Written byMaya16 April 29, 2017

Not the best

I decided to watch this movie because a bunch of friends were saying that they loved it. I didn't really care for it even though I thought that the cast was good but I didn't care for the storyline and found it predictable.
Adult Written bymealermc September 22, 2020

Why did you approve this?

I don’t understand how Common Sense Media can approve this movie for any age when it has horrible language in it, like GD. Isn’t Common Sense Media a Christian organization?

Parent Written byJohn D. December 2, 2019

This is one of the accurate reviews on Damien Chazelle's masterful film.

It is not okay for parents to disallow their children to see this movie because it has language in it. The language is not pervasive nor present for a vast majority of the movie and focuses on themes of pursuing a dream, having relationships, and why the relationships end between characters with great chemistry. There is a great score, great acting, and a great story in this movie. Anyone qualified to understand movies, which could be a child at age 8 or 10 would love this movie. There isn't one person who kinda likes this movie and understands it. Everyone who cares about the story loves it. Take your kids to see this movie.

Adult Written byYeah Yeah Yeah October 26, 2019

Nah, Nah, Nah

Interesting that what seemed so-o-o exciting when we were teens can be something so tiresome as an adult. Oh, to be young again! I can't believe I used to swoon and think it "fab" when a Beatle shook his hair! But, there is nothing new under the sun. Here the youth are enamoured with this cinematic gimmickry. The characters are shallow, the plot monotonous. The dialogue as well as dress are somewhat profane. The camera work and scenery are colourful, but alas, cannot redeem this film. If it serves only to excite the youth so that they will continue to explore more musicals (some of the great classics from the past are still worth viewing), then it gets a few stars. Won't be getting up on the car roofs to dance about it. I will end with what a 14 yr. old reviewer had to say about this movie: "This film
is so overrated! I went to the cinema with my friends for my birthday and it is very boring, do not waste your time or money on this pathetic excuse for an award winning film!" Amen. I'm with you!
Adult Written byYourmomsyourdad February 15, 2019

This film is a masterpiece.

I saw this film in the summer of 2017 and it is still one of my favorite films of all time, the films music, jokes, lines, and the overall feel of the film. If you haven't seen this film, buy it, just buy it.

Adult Written byArdelle_ February 4, 2019

Beautiful movie with a beautiful soundtrack.

La La Land is a amazing movie with a great message. You really get a feel for the characters and what they are going through and feel what they are feeling. The movie is also very beautifully shot and beautiful in general. The music really sets the mood for the movie and works very well with it.

Adult Written byFrankie3211 January 25, 2019

Creative, meaningful, authentic -- wow!

This movie stands out for being a meaningful story, creatively told, with characters that feel authentic. Good music too. Great acting. Why would someone want to waste a couple of hours of their life on a dumb Hollywood action movie, when you can watch movies like this? A classic for ages to come.

Parent of a 6, 11, and 14-year-old Written byHailey Spring December 17, 2018

Wonderful Movie!

It’s a fluffy and visually stunning preformence done perfectly by Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. It was all happiness and fun, until the end. That’s my only complaint. They just HAD to give it a sad ending. But it’s a good 11+ movie. There’s some language but overall there’s not many bad things about it

Adult Written byJoshuaL0928 December 16, 2018

Not bad at all.

There is not too much of anything in this movie all it is is language and I do not get affended by language that isn’t used sexually, and a 6 year old won’t either.
Adult Written byMorgan M. June 2, 2018

La la land

There are some innapropiate scenes. Would not recommend 9 years below. Very innapropiate for a younger.

Parent Written byElla D. May 1, 2018
Parent of a 9 and 15-year-old Written byMeowstiic T. December 22, 2017

Beautiful, and Profound, Brings Back an Old Genre

I am especially fond of La La Land. It's the golden film. Better than Moonlight. It serves a strong performance from Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. The movie usually doesn't use special effects, but when it does, the effects are awesome. This is a critically acclaimed fim that you can't hate.

Adult Written byAshur D. November 26, 2017