Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Last Chance Harvey

Midlife love story is sweet, but may not appeal to teens.

Based on 1 review
Parent Written byfif May 4, 2009

I wanted more

Good acting, how can you go wrong with Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson, but it didn't quite click for me. I kept waiting for the moment when their relationship became real to me and I wanted so badly to be emotionally involved in the story, but it never quite happened. Good messages in the film and enjoyable. Some swearing.

Adult Written bywonder dove August 12, 2009

One of those beautifully, rare films you gotta see!

I love love LOVE this movie! First time I saw it I fell in love. And not just for Hoffman, even though he is fantastic as usual. Emma Thompson was adorable! I liked how this movie felt SO realistic, the characters just pull you through the screen and you capture their every emotion. It was very sad yet had it's humorous side which was perfect. I think a lot of tweens and teens will not enjoy this particular film, because it lacks the usual violence and mature themed content that most people enjoy. Although, if you're one of those people who just love a nice, sweet romantic drama than I highly recommend this one. This movie gets 5 shining stars out of five, from me!!
Adult Written byjmo97 January 4, 2017

Good but not great

The movie's cast is all great: I thought Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson had good chemistry, and the supporting characters do fine themselves. The dialogue was alright in making the connections and relations between the characters, but the simplicity and safeness of the story prevent me from loving "Last Chance Harvey". There are very few uses of foul language (s-words, mostly), and there is social drinking that is never overdone. I would recommend this movie, but I don't think many teens would enjoy it because there are cringe-worthy scenes, and I don't think the story was great. 7.0/10

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion May 23, 2009

A Charming and Moving Love Story...

LAST CHANCE HARVEY won't appeal to many kids, but it serves as a pleasant break from shoot-`em-up action pictures. It is a sweet, funny romance about second chances, feuled by the charisma of its two leads, Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. Language is the biggest issue in the film, with one or two "h*ll"s and several "s**t"s. There are a few mild sexual references, such as an 80 year old man reading an excerpt from his psychosexual novel (nongraphic and played for laughs). A few people drink at parties.