Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 5 parent reviews

Sort by:

Great Closure to a Civil Rights Unit

Over the course of the unit, I have the students research and the Civil Rights topics mentioned in this movie. The lunch counter sit-ins, the freedom rides, the children's march, and many others. I use the movie to tie everything together for them in a visual manner. I find it has a greater impact when the kids know about each topic that is brought up in the movie.

A good movie but not but children under 17

I think that overall it is a good movie with nice history behind it but I think it is totally inappropriate for kids under 17 or 18 as there is a lot of violence that kids will not be able to see the message underneath it.

Good for ages 13 and up fab film

I saw his film and it was very moving, its a great film and what makes it even more remarkable is that it is based on a true story there is quite a lot of violence but it isn't scary or going to stop teens from sleeping overall i think its a fab film and well worth watching.

The Butler

I thought the film was directed well, and the actual narrative was great. However, I would argue that it's a little trite. It's a "feel-good" movie about racism in America; however, it acts as if racism is completely over today because we have a black president. It actually ends with Barack Obama's voice. With that being said, the actual narrative of the film was entertaining and moving. There actually *is* a cartoon poster in the background during one scene featuring a naked black woman and I didn't see that mentioned in the review here. Overall, it's a great film and it's entertaining; however, I just think it was a little too formulaic and trite.