All parent member reviews for LEGO Batman: The Movie -- DC Superheroes Unite

Adult Written byjohnsag49 September 28, 2015

A good movie, regardless of the toy tie-in

Lego Batman: The Movie is a great time for any fans of Lego and Batman. The movie is equal parts silly and action-packed, giving younger fans a taste of the fun of Gotham City. It's very clearly made for a younger crowd - the kids who can't watch the full-length feature films because they're too scary, dark or violent. The animation is top notch - not Pixar quality, but great for the genre. The characters are recreated faithfully, the story is in line with many of the movies, and it has jokes that would appeal to grown-ups and kids. Common Sense Media's review argues it's hard to ignore the movie's toy connections - that it plays like a big toy ad. I don't think that's fair. Of course, I'm sure the movie helped Lego sell a handful more sets. But that's not the objective of this movie. The Lego sets featuring Batman and the other DC Comics properties existed before this movie was released, and to Lego's credit - they have not tried to release "Lego Batman Movie" themed sets to cash-in on the film. If you're a gamer, you'll no doubt notice this movie shares the same animation and many of the scenes of Lego Batman 2 for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U. In fact, the same production company produced both the movie and games, using the same voice actors and models. Truth be told, both the game and movie are phenomenal, fun and safe ways for younger kids to enjoy the Batman mythos. Lego doesn't need this movie to help sell toys. It's myriad of sets, including super hero-themed toys, are doing fine on their own. It's a good movie - and your little Batman fan will enjoy it!
Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 10, 2014
Good for everybody.and if your kid likes Legos then they will like this.its also a video game.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byadaMadman May 9, 2015

Joyless spin-off of Lego Movie's success

The best word I can think of is "joyless," because it's rarely funny or, really, fun. Expect a relentless series of action sequences and gadgets punctuated by hijinks of a strangely-postured Joker (it seems they felt the characters in Lego were too stiff; now the characters torsos twist and undulate like they're full of Jello). My son even thought it was a little too "real" and not like as much like Lego (some backgrounds reject the everything-is-made-of-Lego conceit completely). There's no real sense to much of it. I should say, though, that there is one brilliant idea in the film when Batman and Superman fool the Joker and Lex Luthor, but I won't spoil it. Additionally, the characters are introduced thick and fast and if you aren't older and have some point of reference (into Catwoman, Green Lantern, etc.), then it is just a big confusing mob. Ditto the bad guys (Riddler, Penguin), who for a child must seem completely baffling. We watched it at one sitting, and when it was over I wished I could get that time back, a feeling I did not have even with some other iffy child's fare. It's all a shame, becuase I adored the Lego Movie; perhaps that film set the bar too high.