All parent member reviews for LEGO Batman: The Movie -- DC Superheroes Unite

Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 10, 2014

Good for everybody.and if your kid likes Legos then they will like this.its also a video game.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byadaMadman May 9, 2015

Joyless spin-off of Lego Movie's success

The best word I can think of is "joyless," because it's rarely funny or, really, fun. Expect a relentless series of action sequences and gadgets punctuated by hijinks of a strangely-postured Joker (it seems they felt the characters in Lego were too stiff; now the characters torsos twist and undulate like they're full of Jello). My son even thought it was a little too "real" and not like as much like Lego (some backgrounds reject the everything-is-made-of-Lego conceit completely). There's no real sense to much of it. I should say, though, that there is one brilliant idea in the film when Batman and Superman fool the Joker and Lex Luthor, but I won't spoil it. Additionally, the characters are introduced thick and fast and if you aren't older and have some point of reference (into Catwoman, Green Lantern, etc.), then it is just a big confusing mob. Ditto the bad guys (Riddler, Penguin), who for a child must seem completely baffling. We watched it at one sitting, and when it was over I wished I could get that time back, a feeling I did not have even with some other iffy child's fare. It's all a shame, becuase I adored the Lego Movie; perhaps that film set the bar too high.