All teen and kid member reviews for Let It Shine

Kid, 11 years old June 16, 2012

A Lot of Shine

Let it Shine is a very unexpected and good movie with a really good message to sponser to kids, but their is one flaw, there are some heavy themes that makes it better for kids ages ten and up. Rap, Gospel, and Hip-Hop are all in this "Dcom", so one of the families is Baptist and Cyrus' father does not like him rapping and modern day music. Consumrism is about twenty percent like mentioning Youtube, Budlight, Facebook, AFC and more. Otherwise this film is inspiring to say that you need to speak for yourself.
Kid, 11 years old June 15, 2012

Inspiring Disney Movie Musical

This Disney Channel Original Movie surpassed my expectations by a lot (my expectations were moderately high). I am a Christian and was impressed with the movie's strong Christian values. Good acting, good screenplay, good directing, and everything is good. Especially the music. The music is awesome. Now you can see how this movie is so great. This is my #2 Christian movie (behind Letters to God and ahead of Courageous). There is a lot of character development between the characters, especially between all the 3 main characters. Now for the parental review. This film has a lot of educational value, teaching people about music and church. There are a lot of positive messages and role models, except Da Bling, the bully rapper. There is some fighting between characters. There is some flirting and almost-kissing scenes in this movie. There is no product placement in the movie, but this movie had a huge marketing campaign with multiple music videos and a soundtrack. This movie premiered on the same day as Rock of Ages, and that is an adult musical so this is a great alternative. Go watch it!
Kid, 12 years old August 24, 2012

review for Christian families

this a movie for 11+ young kids shouldnt watch it not neccisarily cuz its a bad movie but it would be over their heads. there is a little "stuff" ( but very little). They talked about girls being hot. i also felt that even though Disney seemed to try to make it a little "religious" but i think it kinda makes fun of Christianity. however its a happy movie, the raps where fun and clean, and the words CHRIST, GOD, and JESUS are used openly.( thats a good thing in this country that says we are "free" to worship God.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTotemheart August 24, 2012

Let it Shine Outdones Itself

This movie was probably the best movie I have seen on Disney in a long time. I was really surprised to see how different it was to what Disney usually does. Honestly this movie should have been much more recnognized because it was the best. The raps were so good. Clean, but with edge . This movie is a definate must see
Kid, 10 years old August 5, 2012

OK

It has some violence some language some kissing but it is a good movie
Teen, 17 years old Written byJacobBrandyDoggy April 10, 2013

Why wasnt this in Theaters?

This is one of the best movies that has ever came out on TV. Im wondering why this was not in theaters. Thats how good it is.
Kid, 10 years old November 9, 2012

Everyone in the movie does the title!

Cyrus is a good role model 'cause he believes in his music and even stands up to his Dad who dispizes Hip Hop and Rap. And Bling, who's just a raping jerk. The message here is to stand up for yourself and do what you believe in. the same goes for edicational value. No sex exept for flirting and one, Roxy kisses Kris on the cheak in public. No language but "jerk" "butt" and "stupid." Music is the key in this movie, so of coarse, theres a soundtrack. No violence, exept Roxy slaps Cyrus on the face ones she realizes he's lying to her. And there's alot of insulting in rap battles.
Kid, 11 years old September 22, 2012

Greatest movie Disney has made in a while

This was a great movie with a good message. It teaches kids to stand up and follow your dreams, even if things get difficult. Great for family movie night!
Teen, 15 years old Written byitmustbesophie August 6, 2012

Pleasantly surprising and positive

I was pleasantly surprised by Let It Shine - it was a lot better than I had expected. Its well written, well directed and has a great cast. Its definitely an improvement on some previous Disney Channel Movies, as far as the quality and messages are concerned. There are plenty of positive messages scattered throughout the film; being true to yourself, following your dreams, sticking to your beliefs and speaking from your heart. There are also strong messages about telling lies, and the consequences of that. Cyrus, the main character, is a positive role model for young people, as is Roxie, as they both learn from each other throughout the film. Other characters learn from their mistakes. There is quite heavy reference to Christianity, however nothing that a non-Christian would disagree with. The words 'God', 'Lord' etc. are used, but not in vain. There is a minimal amount of violence; there is a brief argument between two main characters and Roxie slaps a boy after finding out he lied to her. There is a lot of flirtation, but nothing physical, and it is all borne out of honest feelings. The film has a really good soundtrack, which is being plugged as a companion to the movie, however there is no product placement. Parents shouldn't worry about the 'rap/hip-hop' themes; all raps are very mild, and the film is, overall, a gentle introduction into these genres. Overall: Kids and teens: a great film with likeable characters and a talented cast. Entertaining and fun, with a really good soundtrack. Parents: a good film to watch as a family, but don't be afraid to leave your kids watching this alone.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTeensOpinion17 August 4, 2012

An amazing, educational movie. I was impressed!

I watched this movie with my cousin who is younger than me, she loved it just as much as I did. I have to say I was glad that the actors were African-American. Most D-COMS revolve around white actors. This movie has some good educational values and positive messages. This movie is family friendly and hardly contained any physical fighting, although in the movie there was a little brawl (row) between the 2 characters. (no swearing was said) It's different to the other D-COMS as it had the RAP, Hip Hop genre of music. The songs in it were good too! Overall, I'm impressed with this movie and how it came out. A big thumbs up and a pat on the back to the cast of 'Let It Shine!'
Kid, 11 years old August 1, 2012

BEST!!!

Omg I LOVE this movie!!!! :) there is a lot of flirting and some rudeness but it is all about standing up for yourself and having courage to do what YOU want to do.
Teen, 15 years old Written byrebma97 July 19, 2012

Predictable but nice Disney film

It's okay, it's predictable (to me) like most Disney movies/shows. But I like the diversity in the show (all main characters are African-American). The film itself has positive messages about being true to yourself. There is a Christan theme in the film, which some may not like, depending on your beliefs. There is also a love interest and a kiss, but I think it's fine for tweens to see.
Kid, 11 years old July 10, 2012

i love the movie

i think it a great movie for kiss it a positive message
Teen, 14 years old Written bycupcakelove321 July 2, 2012

i loved it but...

i didnt lik the msages about religion
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2012

dONT BOTHER

dont spend your time on this! it is very bad when it comes to good and possetive things! it uses very offense launguge. and my friend even said that when it came to the church & religon parts she wanted to turn the TV off. really it was one of the worst movies that disney could ever think of. DISNEY YOU FAILED EPICALLY!
Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2012

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an AWESOME movie! I stayed up until 1 in the moring to watch this movie! And I barley watch disney movies but this one I really liked!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCatsRockForever June 25, 2012

Very good; I'd recommend it!

I think this is one of the best Disney Channel movies I've seen. It's (very loosely) based on "Cyrano de Bergerac" (that title should be italicized or underlined, but there is no option for that, so...) Of course, I liked "Cyrano" much more, but I'm a sucker for tragedy. Okay, anyway, I felt there were some really good messages in this movie, including positive Christian themes (though I doubt it would be offensive to the nonChristians, seeing as their good messages overall). There were a few things that bothered me, though. Roxy is more shallow than she appears, if you really think about it. She mistook Kris to be "Truth", because he was better looking than Cyrus. It's mentioned briefly at the very end, but isn't really thought about. Also, Kris really isn't that good of a friend. He pressures Cyrus into helping him, although eventually everything works out between them. Other than that, though, I really liked the movie, and I would definitely recommend it. ...But if you can handle tragedies, go read "Cyrano de Bergerac" after you watch this, if you haven't already.(If you couldn't tell, I'm a fangirl.)
Teen, 14 years old Written bymrbookworm01 June 17, 2012

Good, but not great

I saw this movie and it's pretty good. It's not the best movie, but it's still a good movie and has positive messages about being yourself and expressing yourself freely. OK for kids 9+. Educational: Based off a book, so kids might want to read it after seeing the movie. Violence: Nothing graphic, but there is a brief scuffle between 2 characters, and a girl slaps a boy for lying to her. Consumerism: There's a soundtrack available based on this movie.
Kid, 9 years old June 16, 2012

Don't let it shine. It already has!!!

The movie was fine they used some speech that was not appropriate and necessary. Like " hook-up" and they also used mean words to each other. Although it is also very good at teaching morality, friendship skills, and some basic concepts in religion like" you can't live with the lord on Sunday and the devil on Monday". But no they don't teach anything most people wouldn't agree with. The church is a Baptist church in the movie. And the movie teaches an amazing lesson about telling lies.