Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Liberal Arts

Thoughtful romance mulls impact of large age difference.

Based on 1 review

Based on 1 review
Adult Written bywonder dove July 27, 2013

Excellent film!

I wanted to see this movie so bad and finally did. I liked it, but was expecting a little more out of it. It was refreshing and real, none of that teen romance chick flick stuff. Some quotes in the film really stuck with me, characters were easy-going and enlightening. I loved the genuine feel throughout. Elizabeth Olsen is simply wonderful and her character was very down to earth. It's basically about an upbeat college student named Zibby (Olsen) who meets a kind man in his mid 30's who's visiting his favorite professor where he went to college. Both instantly attracted to each other, they wind up spending a lot of time together. When they part for a short while, they keep their friendship alive by writing real handwritten letters to each other (no emails or other use of technology) sharing stories and more until they need to see each other again. However, their age difference interferes with their desire to get closer and ultimately, in the end, they must make a huge choice. It's a tad slow sometimes but you really get into the story because it's that great! Violence is not an issue at all. Language is not a big deal, some common words throughout but no "f" words except for the middle finger. Sexual content includes some talk about sleeping with older men, a one night stand shown in the dark with some sex sounds but not explicit, gentle flirting and innocent kissing. There is drinking at college parties, a girl gets hungover. Smoking is mild. Perfectly fine for 13+!!