Parent reviews for Limitless

Story centered on drug abuse sends very iffy messages.

Parent Written byhulkfan2 January 13, 2019

Great, but should be rated R in the US

Parents need to know that this movie is difficult to understand. It's about taking a pill that produces enhanced mental acuity. I really liked this movie and it's quite exciting, but I can't understand why the MPAA gave it a PG-13. It's R rated content, with 4 (yes, four!) sex scenes. The first involves sex on a bed. Though we do not clearly see it happen, we hear moaning sounds and see legs moving in a suggestive way. The second involves a woman's shoe moving around on what seemed to be a bathroom sink, but to be honest, my dad skipped that scene (he hates sex scenes!) so I couldn't tell whether it was a couple having sex on the toilet, or if it was just a woman tapping her feet on the sink as she was taking a poo. The third involves a woman taking her clothes off and having sex with the main character (I'm pretty sure, but Dad skipped through that scene once again). The forth involves another woman taking the main character to her apartment room, and having sex with him or something. There is also violent, bloody scenes. The scene where the main character discovers that his friend is dead is quite graphic, and looks like it came straight out of an R-rated action thriller. Also a few more graphic scenes, like the gruesome decapitated hands scene, where a character opens a box with two decapitated hands inside. Also not to forget the violent, bloody scene at the end where that man dies, and the main character drinks his blood, and there is blood all over the floor, which seems (once again) like it came out of an R-rated movie. That's not all. The theme is about drugs and involves a lot of drug use. I thought that the PG-13 rating was just not right for this sexual content-filled, graphic violent and drug themed movie. That's why it should have been rated R. Seriously. Who would think that all those graphic sex scenes, the bloody violence and the drug themes would be fine for 13 year olds? We live in a world where violence is all over the media, not to mention the news. So, MPAA, please do not expand kids to more of the same. My MPAA rating would be: R for sexual content, some bloody violence and drug themes/use. It's hard to understand and it's exciting, but very graphic and sexual, so 16 and up.

Adult Written byMarcusLane May 3, 2013

An Honest Review

This movie no question should have been rated r. I am still wondering why they would rate this PG13, not too mention the four or five f-bombs in the movie alone should put it there. The main reason though that it should be rated R is because of the nudity in the film. Please parents do not let your children watch this. Excluding the sexuality, it wouldn't be that bad, however the movie is advocating drug use, but obviously the drug is completely fictional. In my opinion though if something were available to the public, allowing me to be 100X more productive and creative, wouldn't sound too bad, but again kind of takes away from having absolute control on our lives, sort of like cheating life. But again just opinion.

Adult Written byProc November 12, 2012

BAD DRUG !!

This Movie portray's that by taking a pill , all will be GREAT ! Well, I just commited my Son to a Hospital for this very movie and the "over the counter" Herbal pill. This IS A BAD DRUG AND NEEDS TO BE REMOVED FROM THE MARKET !

Adult Written bylemonlover July 19, 2012

Maybe more like an R.

There are lots of drug references through out the entire movie, along with some use of it. Characters are shot, punctured, seriously injured, etc. There is lots of sexual enniudo and activity along with uses of f**k, d**k, s**t, etc.

Adult Written byAlamoGuy June 26, 2012

Drugs CAN Make You Successful...?

The only thing saving this from an R rating is language. I'm not sure why violence of this magnitude is okay for PG-13. Was also hoping the ending was a little more on the poetic justice side of things.

Adult Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

limitless

pill smart is intence bradley cooper movie

Adult Written byFeather January 1, 2012

Hmm

Adult Written bypamomof4 December 29, 2011

Good conversation starter for adults but not teens or younger

Um. The whole movie is about drug use and the benefits of such. In fact, the drawbacks of his drug use were fairly minimal. Who wouldn't get beat up for over 40 million dollars and the admiration of some of the elite on Wall Street? Well, more would than wouldn't. Either way, a teen could very easily interpret the main idea of the movie being fast and easy success not earned with hard work. I think the concept is developmentally beyond what a teen could understand.

For adults, it's a good conversation movie and could create some interesting discussions. I will warn you, you will be frustrated by the ending. It's pretty cryptic and leaves you wondering, "What the heck happened?"

Adult Written byconcerned for kids October 21, 2011

No redeeming quality

I hated this movie. How can CS give this movie three stars?? It's all about sex, money, greed, power, lying and drugs. I felt very sad after this movie, almost sick. There is no redeeming quality.

Adult Written byalexkim19 October 5, 2011

violent

too much violent scenes.

Adult Written byJeridMcIntyr3 August 27, 2011

Fantastic Movie that IS NOT FOR KIDS

Very good movie with a crazy story. However the rating does not apply for the Unrated extended cut. There is scenes of sex with breasts visible. Parents be warned. This movie is not for kids under 18. The message of take a pill and your world can change is not one for kids.
Cinematography is amazing in some scenes. Very unique movie with mostly a negative message.

Parent Written bysamtw1024 August 18, 2011

Not for 15 year olds, MAYBE for 17 year olds

This movie is really violent not like "The Book of Eli" violent.

One drug is considered a weapon, a necessary tool for greatness, like Popeye's, the sailor man, spinach, but for the mind... not a good message to send to your kids.

The sexual scenes in this movie are too over the top. I don't think they are appropiate for children under 17, like most people think. There's little censorship in this movie. The first time the main character sleeps with a woman, she is clearly shown without her pants and underware, the bed cover doesn't censor this. When he later sleeps with his girlfriend, the bed cover barely censors his girlfriends body. It was like watching one of Megan Fox's maxim photos, for crying out loud! There's even a scene similar to Kevin Spacey's bathroom scene in "The live of David Gale" (rated R, by the way). No genitals are shown but the act is pretty much implied. Other sexual scene is similar to Butterfly Effect 2's bathroom scene (also rated R) ¿Should I go on? ¿Doesn't that say anything?... Anyway, if you decide to watch it with your kid, you'll be able to tell when one of those scenes will be shown (fortunately, they don't appear without notice like in a "Californication" episode)

Adult Written byKiryakov July 30, 2011

Disappointing

There is no message sent by the movie. It's only one guy taking drug and reaching up to senator or something. Totally impossible but ever if we agree that the drug gave him confidence again what is the point of the movie? I felt used and laghued to myself for the lost time. I was waiting for something to happen but nothing.

Parent Written byETerry July 25, 2011

Yuk! Not worth it!

This movie should be rated "R". In one part the main character kills a "bad guy" and then he drinks his blood so he can realize the benefits of the drug in his blood stream. It's disgusting and soo b-movie material I was
horrified. I sent my 13 year old child out after half. All
around I would skip it, but thank you Commonsense for your 15 an up rating because this is SO not ok for a P-13 rating! perfect example of why parents need to be careful. the actors should be embarrassed to have their names associated with this crummy film.
Parent of a 4, 7, 9, and 11-year-old Written byMomFourBoys April 9, 2011

Worst movie I've seen in a long time

Unlikable main character with poor message. Hard to find anything redeeming about this film.

Parent Written byMs.Johnson2be April 3, 2011
children need to realize things arent right for them and movies sometimes help them realize it
Parent of a 10-year-old Written byFunkyMonkey April 3, 2011

Amazing!

Really good movie!! One part it shows a very disguting seen when he is drinking blood. That i recomend you look away!

Adult Written byWise Selection April 2, 2011
I wish I did not go and see Limitless! The violence is excessive and PG-13 doesn't mean very much anymore! The movie rating system in the United States is an absolute joke and it should be abolished and just have a sex/violence activity rating like we do here on Common Sense Media! At least that would be much more honest. When stabbing out a man eye and making him blind is PG13 then what's next?

Adult Written bypicky grandma March 31, 2011

Adult Written bykhan2705 March 28, 2011

very original movie. i loved this thriller.

Aspiring author Eddie Morra (Cooper) is suffering from chronic writer's block, but his life changes instantly when an old friend introduces him to NZT, a revolutionary new pharmaceutical that allows him to tap his full potential. With every synapse crackling, Eddie can recall everything he has ever read, seen or heard, learn any language in a day, comprehend complex equations and beguile anyone he meets97as long as he keeps taking the untested drug. Soon Eddie takes Wall Street by storm, parlaying a small stake into millions. His accomplishments catch the eye of mega-mogul Carl Van Loon (De Niro),who invites him to help broker the largest merger in corporate history. But they also bring Eddie to the attention of people willing to do anything to get their hands on his stash of NZT. With his life in jeopardy and the drug's brutal side effects grinding him down, Eddie dodges mysterious stalkers, a vicious gangster and an intense police investigation as he attempts to hang on to his dwindling supply long enough to outwit his enemies.

well this movie just shocked me so much of how good it was and as it ended i was like so mad about how good it was, just completely satisfied me. awsome. you normally don't expect a good movie from Mr Bradely Cooper (not talking about The Hangover) but here it is an all in all entertainer and likeable thriller. first of all the thing is that it is one of the best movies of this year and will be. second thing is that the plot, main idea and story is extremely original and fresh which makes it far more appealing. its based on the idea of a pill that makes your brain utillize more of its actuall normal workable power. this guy accidentaly get it, his life being a complete mess makes it only thing for him to do. as he uses it he experience this feeling of powerfulness and that he can do anything. he sees things beyond an ordinary mind can and makes his life a desirable one. he can practically do anything he want's. but as it says with great power comes great responsibality or that everything has a limit. so is the human body, the way or for what exact work it has been made it just work in that limit if you cross it you will suffer. not much research have been done on tis pill so he slowly experience the downfall. he becomes sick and other things follows.

this movie is a suspence thriller drama with a sci fi touch. very well written movie, two thumbs up for the writer of the story and the plot. screenplay is very well written. plot is superb, edge of the seat thriller with a suitable pace, this movie is not too fast or not very slow. this movie never gets boring or tiring. it is filled perfectly without a blank or dull moment in it. a perfect new age thriller which makes you think about yourself and human beings in general. direction is good. it is appealing visually too, good cinematography, nice background score and perfect editing.

Bradely Cooper's best movie off the romance or comedy side. he did well if not great and was perfectly cast, this guy needed this movie, other actors were ok too. well i liked this movie very much, based on a very unique, fresh and out of no where new idea. just a lovable movie. i liked it so much and so will you. do watch it.