All parent member reviews for Linnea in Monet's Garden

Parent of a 4, 5, and 8 year old Written byconservativereviewer April 26, 2013

Perfect for 2yr-8yr, art appreciation short film

This short 24 min. show is the perfect amount of time for the genre. I love it's unique feel. There aren't any other cartoon's out that teach the value of art appreciation in the form of painting; at least that I have found. It will probably not hold most 2-3 yr attention for long but my 4 and 5.5 yr old were intrigued. They sat and watched attentively the entire time. My 8 yr old didn't care for the mix between cartoon and real life film. However, I found there to be great value in the way they used cartoon characters yet showed actual film of Monet's paintings and a few flowers. When the review mentions wine, it really is only a bottle of wine in a picnic basket full of foods and then a photo that the girl takes of the elderly gentelmen in front of the picnic spread and he is holding a glass (not even a wine glass, more like a tumbler) of wine and smiling. There isn't any actual "drinking" of the wine that I recall and it was super short lived. If you were concerned about it (as I was a little) don't be and do not let it stop you from viewing this show with children of any age. I am pretty tight with what I let my kids watch (I don't allow any of the cartoon network junk that Netflix added to the "Just for kids" section, no Ruby Gloom, Rango, Shrek, I even think Phineas & Ferb with the whole older sibling boy attraction is over the top for an 8 yr old...just to give you an idea of what I limit) and I would not second guess this one at all. It teaches the value of art with no name calling, feelings getting hurt, or arguing and that's what I consider a great movie for my kids!