All parent member reviews for Little Women (1949)

Adult Written bywonder dove September 21, 2012

BEST version by far!!

This is the best version of Little Women out of most I've seen. The cast is excellent, and Amy played by Elizabeth Taylor was my favorite character! I saw this when I was around 12, then got the VHS for my birthday. Then when DVDs came out I quickly bought it! The newest version doesn't even come close to this one! I used to watch it with my dad quite often and he'd always have to leave the room at sad scenes, so keep your kleenex near by! Such a lovely heartwarming film with a fantastic story. Perfect for any age who are interested, but adults will fall in love.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010

Great Coming of Age Story

Great movie for the whole family. Some coming of age stuff, but nothing really to make anyone uncomfortable.
Adult Written bySummerGaal January 26, 2015

Oh, I Just Love It!

A fan of all things romantic and historical (or Little Women in general), my mother, sister, and me were instantly drawn to this classic. Having already watched the 1933 film (Katharine Hepburn) as well as the 1994 film (Winona Ryder), we assumed nothing could surpass them in greatness. We were all proven horribly wrong, however. This movie is nearly perfect. The sets are beautiful, as well as the clothes, and the actors/actresses get along wonderfully. This is actually a remake of the 1933 movie, in which Amy (the youngest in both the book and the 1994 movie) is older than Beth, and is played by the same actress throughout. I personally prefer this much better -- despite being inaccurate from the book -- because it makes it more believable that it's actually the same Amy, and that Beth really is frail. This is also the only version in which I truly like Amy. Although she still longs for wealth and the like when she is younger, it's much more realistic (and less annoying) than in other adaptions. June Allyson was 32 when she played the second-born March sister, Jo, but her appearance is so youthful, and her portrayal so realistic to the character, one can hardly notice. The romance is perfect in it; nothing at all to squirm away from -- making it perfect for tweens and young teens , yet still swoon-worthy enough to satisfy older and adult viewers. In this version, I wish that Jo could marry both Laurie and Professor Bhaer! Even the sad parts are perfect; still heart-wrenching, but not quite so depressing. All in all I would recommend this to anyone wanting a good girls' night movie, or for a first girls' night!