Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Little Women (2019)

Poignant, beautifully made take on beloved sisterhood tale.

Adult Written byMarglenna December 26, 2019

Review from a homeschool momma!

This is a clean, family movie! There are no instances of crude language (not even a “crap” or “stupid”). I took my 9 year old and her 9 year old friend and they both liked the movie.

Yes, there is a drinking scene that shows one person staggering a bit and another where they are passing out “cups” but nothing that would make me think it was inappropriate for my daughter’s age.

There is also a death scene but the movie bounces around from present to past so much, it was hard for my daughter to know who actually died. (I won’t spoil it for you but be ready for questions when it happens)

Overall, a sweet movie - very girly and fun for the family. (I should also add that I have never read the book so I didn’t have a basis for judging the characters and how they relate to the book)
Adult Written byJacolaBob09 December 27, 2019

Great Movie for EVERYONE!

I don't get parents who think this movie is a bad movie. Yes, it's confusing when the timeline is back and forth, but if you look outside the book, the message they put into the movie and the Role Models are just amazing! Jo March is an amazing character who's standing up for what's right with her and even her family, and also she's a woman and this movie should be watched by all women and even those who feel that they have no voice when they do if they just fight a little bit harder.

Adult Written byJoya Baaghil January 18, 2020

Clean Family Friendly Enjoyable!!!!

In an era with so much inappropriate and disgusting messages in the movie industry, this movie is an absolute treat for me and my family! Clean--no swearing. No blood or gory violence.No sex references or scenes on any gender. The sophistication and level of beauty of a well-written and well-acted movie is a wonderful change. I encourage those to watch it if you are tired of horrible messages in movies. The only thing is the flashbacks may be hard to keep up, just be aware of filters and other indications of the timeline of the movie to notice if it in the past or present. But found the timeline very necessary and suspenful. Lovely movie for me and my family and can't recommend it enough. :):)

Adult Written byRahma2 January 18, 2020

Clean Family Friendly Happy-Ending 5+stars

I almost lost hope in the movie industry in America. After Disney joined the immoral side ( Beauty and the Beast ) I would come back to check on this site, thinking, "Then what will my family and I watch." It's not only parents ad kids who want to watch movies where its clean, but anyone in general. Nowadays, movies put inappropriate scenes or references that go against religious and moral values. The movie industry (and ads, and etc. ) put queer relationships as okay and normal. Sadly, they're inserting it into children books and cartoons. No, we don't want inappropriate, against religious, or shock scenes in films- yet the movie company is gaining its millions from somewhere.

Alright, Little Women. Wow, thank you regency films (and whoever worked on this project) for delivering a family friendly film, that is not against religious or moral values, is appropriate, with no inappropriate scenes or references, or language. When someone recommended this movie to me, I was hesitant, afraid at viewing something, society has ganged up on being "okay."
However, this movie was fantastic. You can watch it with the satisfied feeling that nothing will come up to offend or make you feel uncomfortable.

I brought the whole family to watch it and we loved it. I have never liked the Little Women story before- I've tried and failed. I always wanted Jo with Laurie, reminded me of Anne with Gilbert, Anne refuses but then realizes she's in love with him. I watched all versions of Little Women before and thought Amy was mean, selfish, etc. yet this version brings a different light onto the Little Women story.

For anyone who comes from a large family and/or with lots of sisters, know how much fun it is- drama- but heart, will love this film. The story is done so well, showing snippets of each girl's character and story, and weaving it to make you love the film. The film flashes back and forth, from present to past, yet it makes the story interesting and not flat.
{If I didn't watch the previous films, I would have been lost with the flashbacks, however, I caught on that Joe's hair is down for when they're younger, and up for present-day.

This is a happily, heartwarming movie you can enjoy with you and your family, and add to your purchase film list.

Adult Written byGrumpylesley January 8, 2020

Review of Little Women movie 2019

Beautiful and very real. Excellent production. I give it 3.5/5. The flashbacks were unnecessary and confusing. The story would have been told just as well with a straight timeline. Some movies may need flashbacks; this one did not. I'm getting tired of unnecessary flashbacks in movies. Often they are just used to build suspense in otherwise boring movies. This movie did not need them . Without them I would have given the movie 5/5.

Adult Written byMatt B. January 11, 2020

Excellent movie

Excellent movie and appropriate for all ages.

Adult Written byeitinoelle January 7, 2020

Extraordinaria!

La mejor adaptacion del trabajo de Louisa May Alcott. Saiorse Ronan se roba todos los focos con su gran talento y calidad para el drama y la comedia

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byhallhaus January 5, 2020

Great story for young girls - still.

Greta Gerwig’s retelling of Little Women is beautiful. Costumes, storytelling, message, all great. I took my daughter and her friend, both 8, and they enjoyed the film immensely. My daughter cried when Jo found out Beth died. The storytelling, with flashbacks, was a bit much for them to follow but they didn’t need to ask questions to keep up. I wasn’t sure I’d like the newest version, growing up with the Winona Ryder version, but it was more than I’d hoped for and I’m glad I saw it with my daughter after all.

My only issue isn’t with the film, but with a preview for a new Rose Byrne and Selma Hayek movie full of cuss words and other pointedly adult topics. Seemed a terrible preview choice for Little Women.

Adult Written byKaufsher January 4, 2020

Greta Gerwig's "Little Women" is a delight!

Such a joyful (and poignant) coming of age story as told in Ms Gerwig's lens. This is destined to be as timeless a classic as The Sound of Music, ET, and The Princess Diaries.

Adult Written byHorses4 January 4, 2020

Lovely!

My 12 yr old daughter's new favorite movie! We loved it. Similar to the 90's version, but made better. Watching this movie even opened up conversation about how we can give back, being more like the March family.

Adult Written byRoythecat January 6, 2020

Very disapointing, urealistic, boring , hardly no references to the war. sometimes inarticulate and all over the place.

What a disapointment. If you have seen the previous movies you won't like this one. It is superficial. you don't get into the characters until the end. Very poor. It keep jumping from one scene to the other. You don't get to like the characters. The scenes are all over the place. It is like bein in a studio. Too sweety and unreal.
Parent Written byGregory M. January 5, 2020
Adult Written byNikkiandJayce4ever January 2, 2020

11yr old who knows the story

I took my 11 year old daughter who knows the story line well. The movie does a lot of back and forth from past to present so if your child doesn't know the story line it would probably be a little confusing. I really liked it and my daughter liked it but admitted she thought it was long. There was kissing in the movie but nothing that was uncomfortable.

Adult Written byLisa G. January 2, 2020

Excellent movie! Plot Line is complex

This movie is absolutely must see and does justice to the Little Women book. The acting, dialogue, sets, costumes and locations are superb. The only fairly major flaw is the movie timeline. Flash backs and flash forwards are hard to keep track of. If you're bringing a child who hasn't read the story, you should make sure they're aware of the book's basic premise so they don't get lost. Otherwise, definitely must see.

Adult Written byAzurbrugg December 31, 2019

Great time spent!

Adult Written bymovieman48 December 31, 2019

Stunning movie!

A stunning movie! Stunningly photographed, stunningly acted and very well scripted. I don't know the book well but the movie avoids the tendency to dress the girls up as perfect examples of femininity which is fine. There is absolutely nothing offensive here but possibly children aged 10 would benefit by understanding the plot which is told in flashback. Outstanding!
Adult Written byAmy E. December 30, 2019
Adult Written byNancy Seymour December 29, 2019

great story

something most people would enjoy reading.
Adult Written byCrunchyapple December 28, 2019

Delightful and heartfelt

We are hard-core Little Women fans here, having made a pilgrimage to Orchard House this past summer, and having seen every adaptation of the book multiple times. This film hits it out of the park. Beautifully, joyfully filmed, each character is allowed complexity and fullness, unlike other film versions we’ve enjoyed. It’s clever and full of spirit. Highest recommendation!

Adult Written bygranary December 28, 2019

Brush up

Brushing up on the story line of "Little Women" would be a good idea for everyone. The movie is beautiful but flash-backs are confusing if you don't know the plot of the original book. I don't think you could absorb the movie if you didn't have some prior knowledge. Fabulous photography and beautiful sets.