Parent reviews for Little Women (2019)

Poignant, beautifully made take on beloved sisterhood tale.

Adult Written byMarglenna December 26, 2019

Review from a homeschool momma!

This is a clean, family movie! There are no instances of crude language (not even a “crap” or “stupid”). I took my 9 year old and her 9 year old friend and they both liked the movie.

Yes, there is a drinking scene that shows one person staggering a bit and another where they are passing out “cups” but nothing that would make me think it was inappropriate for my daughter’s age.

There is also a death scene but the movie bounces around from present to past so much, it was hard for my daughter to know who actually died. (I won’t spoil it for you but be ready for questions when it happens)

Overall, a sweet movie - very girly and fun for the family. (I should also add that I have never read the book so I didn’t have a basis for judging the characters and how they relate to the book)
Adult Written byJacolaBob09 December 27, 2019

Great Movie for EVERYONE!

I don't get parents who think this movie is a bad movie. Yes, it's confusing when the timeline is back and forth, but if you look outside the book, the message they put into the movie and the Role Models are just amazing! Jo March is an amazing character who's standing up for what's right with her and even her family, and also she's a woman and this movie should be watched by all women and even those who feel that they have no voice when they do if they just fight a little bit harder.

Adult Written byMolly B January 18, 2020

Clean Family Friendly Enjoyable!!!!

In an era with so much inappropriate and disgusting messages in the movie industry, this movie is an absolute treat for me and my family! Clean--no swearing. No blood or gory violence.No sex references or scenes on any gender. The sophistication and level of beauty of a well-written and well-acted movie is a wonderful change. I encourage those to watch it if you are tired of horrible messages in movies. The only thing is the flashbacks may be hard to keep up, just be aware of filters and other indications of the timeline of the movie to notice if it in the past or present. But found the timeline very necessary and suspenful. Lovely movie for me and my family and can't recommend it enough. :):)

Adult Written byGrumpylesley January 8, 2020

Review of Little Women movie 2019

Beautiful and very real. Excellent production. I give it 3.5/5. The flashbacks were unnecessary and confusing. The story would have been told just as well with a straight timeline. Some movies may need flashbacks; this one did not. I'm getting tired of unnecessary flashbacks in movies. Often they are just used to build suspense in otherwise boring movies. This movie did not need them . Without them I would have given the movie 5/5.

Adult Written byMatt B. January 11, 2020

Excellent movie

Excellent movie and appropriate for all ages.

Adult Written byeitinoelle January 7, 2020

Extraordinaria!

La mejor adaptacion del trabajo de Louisa May Alcott. Saiorse Ronan se roba todos los focos con su gran talento y calidad para el drama y la comedia

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byhallhaus January 5, 2020

Great story for young girls - still.

Greta Gerwig’s retelling of Little Women is beautiful. Costumes, storytelling, message, all great. I took my daughter and her friend, both 8, and they enjoyed the film immensely. My daughter cried when Jo found out Beth died. The storytelling, with flashbacks, was a bit much for them to follow but they didn’t need to ask questions to keep up. I wasn’t sure I’d like the newest version, growing up with the Winona Ryder version, but it was more than I’d hoped for and I’m glad I saw it with my daughter after all.

My only issue isn’t with the film, but with a preview for a new Rose Byrne and Selma Hayek movie full of cuss words and other pointedly adult topics. Seemed a terrible preview choice for Little Women.

Adult Written byKaufsher January 4, 2020

Greta Gerwig's "Little Women" is a delight!

Such a joyful (and poignant) coming of age story as told in Ms Gerwig's lens. This is destined to be as timeless a classic as The Sound of Music, ET, and The Princess Diaries.

Adult Written byHorses4 January 4, 2020

Lovely!

My 12 yr old daughter's new favorite movie! We loved it. Similar to the 90's version, but made better. Watching this movie even opened up conversation about how we can give back, being more like the March family.

Adult Written byMadeleine.vanhaute February 11, 2020
In the most recent film version of Little Women, originally written by Louisa May Alcott, Greta Gerwig beautifully executes a new spin on a classic story. The way that Gerwig places the scenes out of chronological order flawlessly displays and emphasizes the character development of the March girls and shows how their family bonds, while tested, grow stronger through their trials.
While this movie does take place during 1860s, it still relates to today’s society when it comes to the value of family. All four of the March girls express some example of selflessness in order to put their family first; Meg did not spend money on luxurious things so that her husband could buy a new winter coat, Jo sold her hair in order for her mother to visit her father in the hospital, Amy was willing to marry a man in order to help her family financially, and Beth took up most of the housework while her mother had to be away. These girls also show the reality of sisterly love. While they have their arguments, no matter how drastic the fights become, they always forgive one another.
This film continues the tradition of Alcott’s inspiring story and appeals to the next generation, ensuring that this timeless tale of family and faith will continue to encourage and inspire young women.

Adult Written byKadence_Smith91 January 30, 2020

Heartfelt and Family-Friendly

I strongly believe this is a great movie to go to with your family. I can see how the flashback scenes may be confusing for children, but I don't think any adult should find it confusing. If an adult finds it confusing I don't think this should be taken into effect for their review and lower to anything below a 3.6. The movie had great role models who I would want my daughters and sons to look up to. The actors in this movie were very good and convincing. I thoroughly enjoy Timothee Chalamet's performance. I would take my whole family to see this and leave satisfied with the movie. Also, if you believe the movie felt *sweaty and unreal you've probably never seen another movie before, it's not a documentary. I swear to you the movie is no confusing as some parents on here are saying.

Adult Written bya24cinephile September 4, 2020
Adult Written bycami098 August 22, 2020

i would watch it with my family

greta gerwig is one of my personal favorite directors. she has a lot of passion and it is evident in this movie. there is no sex, drugs, language or anything of that sort. jo is a very good role model for little girls, showing that women can be strong and independent. the timeline is the only reason i’m bumping the age rating up from a 7, it might be difficult to follow along. on my first viewing, i didn’t understand how to differentiate the timelines. if you’re going in to watch, warmer toned scenes are flashbacks. this movie also has the adults in mind (no innuendos) but leaves it enjoyable for people of all ages

Adult Written byBethDutton June 22, 2020

followed the book perfectly, wonderful. I was the grownup crying in the theatre

Absolutely perfect. No language or sex. Almost word for word the book which made my reading heart happy. The costuming and scenery was beautiful, the acting made the characters seem so real. The theatre was filled with a diverse group of ages and people and they all laughed, cried and seemed to love it too!

Adult Written bysarahdakinhansen May 21, 2020
Parent Written byknuckleheadmom May 19, 2020

A Hard Version to Follow

This is the least favorite of mine of the Little Women movies I’ve seen. It goes back and forth from present to past constantly, and the story line is very hard to follow. The best part is definitely the cinematography. And I enjoy at the end how they give a glimpse into the school and the little men. I’m not fond of the modern young actors. But my younger children knew these actors and could appreciate them. I was ready to shut the movie off early on. The 1994 version with Winona Ryder is much better.

Adult Written byTiredParents May 3, 2020

A great family friendly movie with great role models!

You can talk about how things have changed for women and how hard they had to fight to get here.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byMaria B. May 2, 2020

Parent Written byMark R. April 19, 2020

Adult Written byChris_Feher April 14, 2020

A Down To Earth Classic

I rated it for ages 8 and up because there is almost nothing in Little Women that is inappropriate for children, however, I do believe that older kids and teens might find it a little more meaningful. Little Women is a classic tale of the lives of four sisters, and this iteration of the story has a star spangled cast that only makes the plot that much smoother. Naturally, there are other things that make it appealing as well, such as the incredible filming job and seamless transitions from past to present. The story telling is really great in all its aspects. However, I also feel the need to say that I have not read the book, therefore, my judgement of the movie is not taking into consideration its accuracy to the book. Nevertheless, it is a sure-fire drama for the whole family to enjoy, and a movie that will not soon be forgotten.