What parents need to know
Parents need to know that Little Women is director Greta Gerwig's adaptation of Louisa May Alcott's classic novel. It tells the story of the four March sisters -- aspiring writer Jo (Saoirse Ronan), responsible Meg (Emma Watson), talented painter Amy (Florence Pugh), and shy, musical Beth (Eliza Scanlen) -- during and after the American Civil War. All four sisters are determined to live their lives on their own terms. Together, they support each other through struggles, sickness, death, and love. Timothee Chalamet, Laura Dern, and Meryl Streep co-star. Fans of the book or previous film adaptations will know to expect heavy themes, sad moments, and some smoking, but this could be a great way to introduce tweens and teens to the classic story.
- In theaters: December 25, 2019
- Cast: Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Florence Pugh, Laura Dern, Timothée Chalamet
- Director: Greta Gerwig
- Studios: Columbia Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment
- Genre: Drama
- Topics: Book Characters, Brothers and Sisters
- MPAA rating: PG
- MPAA explanation: thematic elements and brief smoking
- Last updated: October 07, 2019
For kids who love dramas
Our editors recommend
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.