Parent reviews for Locke

Taut one-man drama explores faulty human relationships.

Educator Written byjohnswanson November 2, 2014

Taut thriller may not interest teens (tons of profanity).

This movie was 85 minutes of Tom Hardy in a car talking on the phone. I know this sounds boring, but it is not. There is tension and it builds and builds as more and more about Hardy's character and his situation is revealed. It's amazing to watch an actor's face for that long and see the range of emotions. Most kids and teens will find this boring, but discerning adults will appreciate this unique film. There is tons of profanity, but other than that this one is pretty tame. You could also call it a long commercial for BMW since he doesn't have to stop for gas. :)

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 August 20, 2014

A master class in minimal setting and maximum storytelling!

You could almost call this movie a surprise gem, but everybody should know by now that when Tom Hardy comes to bat he's going to knock it out of the park. To non-frequent moviegoers, a guy talking on the phone in a car for an hour and a half sounds torturous, but with Steven Knight's tight direction and incredibly revealing script, you fully understand the character of Ivan Locke, his motivations, his insecurities, his good and his bad. The special features revealed Tom Hardy even put on a convincing Welsh accent THE ENTIRE MOVIE just so it would sound more comforting to the audience since they're basically in the car with him for 80 minutes listening to his voice, and watching his world disintegrate before our very eyes. This is a movie that begs to be seen, and should get tons of Oscar love, but my prediction is you won't even hear it mentioned. I loved "Locke," one of the best 2014 movies so far. Very strong language throughout, perfect for older teens.