Parent reviews for Lolita

Lolita Poster Image

An utter waste of perfectly good paper.

1 person found this helpful.

Downplays abusive nature of manipulative, pedophilic relationship

I loved the book; this movie is not true to its intentions. Kubrick made his adaptation back when it would have been censored and banned from theaters if it had been as graphic as the book. So he downplayed the sexuality of it, and did not show the extent of hurt and abuse that Lolita was experiencing while in a physically and psychologically abusive relationship with a pedophile and predator. Taking away the depth of the book made it more commercially successful + accessible to slightly younger audiences, but that was a bad idea because younger people watching it do not see how traumatizing and scarring the experience was for Lolita. That may give them the message that what Humbert did was basically okay, when it WAS ABSOLUTELY NOT. This book was just not meant to be a movie, in my opinion. There is really not that much that happens in the book (Kubrick adds to Clare Quilty's role in order to make it feel like there's more of a plot). The reason why it is such a loved book is not because of the plot, but because of the beautiful language and the way that Nabokov (the author) somehow makes you empathize both with the pedophile predator (Humbert) and his victim, Lolita. This adaptation's satirical take just did have the same impact -- I would recommend reading the book instead.

Nice.

What a interesting watch and excellent acted film I enjoyed this thanks.

Good, but not the best

The story is good, but not suitable for younger audiences. I think it's a good story to show younger teens. It teaches them valuable life lessons. In all honesty I'm pretty sure most kids under 15 have seen way worse things then this movie. Just take this with a grain of salt, I suppose.

Common Sense Media got it wrong

This is a book about pedophilia. I am horrified by CSM 4 star "expert" review. Was the reviewer male? I have a hard time thinking a woman would be ok with this book. This is NOT a love story. This is about the kidnapping and repeated rape of a 12 year old child. Humbert the creep is sexually attracted to children. The‘nymphets’ that he describes are not women, they are pre-teen girls. Pedophilia, when acted on, is a horrendous thing that traumatizes it’s victims. Humbert acts on his fantasies. Humbert is a child molesting rapist. Humber meets her when he comes to see a vacant room at her mother’s house and decides to stay because of her. Marries the mom to be close to the child. Classic pedophile move. Mom commits suicide, so he kidnaps child and rapes her repeatedly. What is WRONG with those of you that think this is a good book???? And especially disturbing is it being on a list of approved reading for high school students. I just don't know what is wrong with people that think this is ok. I don't care how "well written" this book is considered to be. I wouldn't recommend it to any age,, but I had to put an age to write the review. Very disappointed in CSM for this review. I can't even check "too much sex", because it isn't sex, it is rape of a 12 year old child. That isn't sex. And I didn't read it, just the synopsis and editorials that I researched when I found out it was on my grandson's approved reading list. So disturbing.

The Kids reviews are more accurate than the Parents

Shame on you “parents.” What the actual fudge is wrong with Gen Xers and Boomers? This movie and the book behind it are horrifying. Nothing in this is “romantic” and as someone who saw this for the first time in a film class at 16, I can assure you that your average high schooler is NOT ready for this to be a provocative art piece - it’s a film that shapes your perspectives on relationships and that’s just so unhealthy for any young person to internalize. If Lolita is a “hero” AND a “sex symbol,” how many of these parents would be proud if their daughters followed in her footsteps? I will tell you how many: NONE. This movie is only good for two things: getting pervy older men and damaged women off on a societally damaging fantasy, and starting a conversation on pedophelia and child exploitation. That’s it. That’s the only value in this movie since the art of the novel was somehow lost in the screenplay adaptation. Definitely allow your daughters to watch this if you want your future sons-in-law to be eligible for AARP before you are.

Definitely not one of Kubrick's best. Just alright.

More Peter Sellers please

Although the fountain of the story was shifted by Kubrick, still a win. Peter Sellers delivers an outstanding performance as Quilty, bringing new life to the character. Major issues with inaccurate portrayals; which ultimately creates a misconception. A movie verses the novel endless thread. Still a must see and read. #lolitaforever

Brave, but disappointing Kubrick film has mature themes

Undeniably brave and important in its content, "Lolita" obviously suffered from its influence of the Hays Code. Despite having cast brilliant actors, most notably Peter Sellers portraying a talkative character who himself portrays several characters throughout, its tone tells more than is actually said. Being supposed to be a movie about a romantic relationship between a minor and a man in his 40s, there is basically no evidence of such plot. According to the code's guidelines, depicting any kind of non-conform relationships wasn't possible. But what's the point making a witty, dark-humored satire (or any other kind of film) about a scandalous topic without even putting in one clear line there is any kind of sexuality between the two characters. It's like a romantic comedy without love, or a crime film without crime. You know that a movie doesn't work well when two characters who appearently never had any intimid moment feel devastated when not around the other, and expect the audiences to understand their emotions. There's no doubt in Kubrick's ambition but you have to know when to abandon a project - especially when guidelines don't allow your plot. (In the beginning a person gets shot, and an implied relationship between a girl and a man is as bad as it gets.)

Recommended Rating: 12+ for sexual references, thematic elements and mild violence

This film centers on a professor who gets seduced by a 14 year old girl and is led into a trap. The thematic elements, though not explicit, are not recommended for young children. There are mild sexual references, and some suggestive material where sex is implied but not shown. The violence is quite mild and is restricted to two scenes where people are shot and killed, both off-screen. Characters casually drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes.